Unfortunately we don’t have a photograph of the houses that became known as 6 and 8 Bath Road in Thornbury, but we know there was a building there in the 1840 Tithe Survey, and it shows that this property and its neighbour were described as Plot 324 on this map. The plot was said to be a house and garden owned by Thomas Savery and occupied by Guy Barge and Philip Marton.
There was more than one Thomas Savery living in Thornbury at that time and we can’t be sure which one owned the property. Of the two occupants, we have no way of knowing which of these persons lived in which house, but for the purposes of the website we are assuming that Guy Barge occupied number 6 and Phillip Martin (which was his correct name, not Marton as appears in the transcription we have seen) was in number 8.
In the absence of any deeds for the properties, we have had to rely on the Rate Books for any further details of ownership. Thus we know that both houses were owned by John Garlick from 1859 until his death in 1881. In the 1885 Rate Book Mrs Garlick is shown as the owner of both houses and in 1890 Rate Book she still owned number 6. Click here for more details of John and Sarah Garlick
Following John’s death in 1881, his wife, Sarah, appears to be the owner of both properties. After her death in 1887 the ownership of the properties appears to be split:
John Tanner Garlick was shown to be the owner of 6 Bath Road. On 16th October 1893 John sold the property to Henry Clark for £50. John was described as a coal merchant of Bristol. At that time Henry George Clark was described as being a farmer of Milbury Heath.
Henry was born about 1858, the son of Thomas Clark and Jane (nee Kibbey). In 1872 Henry married Rosina Newman in the Stroud area. The 1881 Census shows Henry as a potato dealer living at White Wall Lane, Crossways. They had one son, Thomas, aged 3. Rosina was aged 21 and born in Gillingstool. The 1891 Census shows Henry as a market gardener, living with the family at Green Lane, Tytherington. They now had two more sons, James and John aged 9 and 6 respectively. By 1901 they had again to Crossways Lane where Henry was a farmer. They had four children living with them; James (aged 19), Henry J aged 16), Mary A (aged 7) and Florence May (aged 3).
Henry died on 19th October 1917 aged 58. His probate record shows he was living in Rockhampton at the time and his executors were his widow, Rosina Clark and William James Clark, farmer. The 1925 Valuation List and 1926 Rate Book confirm ‘Mrs Clark’ was now the owner. Rosina died on 25th January 1938 aged 78. Both Henry and Rosina were buried in the churchyard at St Oswald’s Church, Rockhampton. Following Rosina’s death the property was owned by her daughter, Florence May Tilley. She eventually sold it to Thornbury Rural District Council for £300 on 12th November 1965.
Number 8 Bath Road was owned by Sarah’s son, Mark Williams, who became the owner and took over occupation from about 1890. The house stayed in his family until the 1950s.
In 1917 following the death of Mark Williams and his wife, Emma, number 8 was put up for sale at auction of 27th February 1917. It was described as: ‘All that freehold semi-detached cottage and garden with stable and cart shed adjoining late in the occupation of the deceased. The house contains kitchen, larder, scullery with boiler and two bedrooms. The outbuildings comprise stable with loft over, cart shed, pigstye, cowshed, and usual offices and there is a good garden thereto‘. The house was purchased by Mark’s son, Edwin Williams for £120. Thus, there is a continuous line of ‘Williams’ family occupation going back as far as Sarah Williams, who was living in number 8, and maybe owning it as far back as 1851. When Edwin died in 1920 the house was taken over by his wife Florence (nee Chisholm) and she carried on living there. She was still listed as living there in the 1961 Electoral Register. The 1965 Electoral Register shows her in Thornbury Hospital and she died on 2nd May 1965 aged 82.
The pair of houses were eventually demolished in the early 60s and the land was incorporated into the Thornbury Market.