We apologise for the quality of the photograph on the left. It is a tiny extract from a large aerial photograph. However it is the best source we have so far to tell us what 8 and 10 Chapel Street in Thornbury looked like. The black and white “Tudor” building on the right of the photograph is the Wheatsheaf Inn which is still in Chapel Street. To the left of it and next to the skittle alley of the pub is a white building. The white building is definitely 8 Chapel Street and may also be number 10 Chapel Street. The two houses had a shared history and were generally sold as a pair. We know they each had only four rooms and so the white building may be two semi detached houses or one house. We would very much like to know. Both houses were demolished in the 1960s and were replaced by a public housing scheme.
We believe that the two houses that became 8 and 10 Chapel Street were built at some time between 1832 and 1840. They were built on land taken from a property known as ‘The Paddock’. We have the deeds which relate to the houses in Upper Bath Road (Rock Street) that describe the history of this whole plot of land and the house on it and we know from these that it was owned by the Mansell family, John and Mary Rudge, William Taylor and then Matthew Mills. Read this early history.
The 1840 Tithe Survey shows them as Plots 110 and 111, each a house and garden, owned by Ann Gayner and occupied by Samuel “Harris” (or Haynes) and John Cullimore respectively.
The Gayners – the two plots of land had been purchased by Charles Gayner by Indentures of lease and release dated 24th and 25th March 1819. He had bought from Matthew Mills “all that piece or parcel of ground lately allotted to from and taken out of a certain close of ground of him the said Matthew Mills formerly called the paddock since planted with fruit trees and now called the orchard.”
This land, and the other properties belonging to Charles were left in trust for the use of his wife, Ann Gayner, and were then to be divided equally between his four children: Henry, Ann, George and Emma after taking into account any debts, mortgages and bequests already made.
It appears that following Charles’s death, Ann and her family arranged for the two houses to be built. Click here to read about Ann and Charles Gayner
James Screen. In the 1859 rate book the two properties were owned by James Screen. The trade directories show that James was a baker from at least 1842 to 1856. James was born on 27th November 1809, the son of Thomas Screen, a labourer and his wife, Elizabeth nee Woodruffe. He was baptised on 31st May 1810. We don’t know when James married but his wife was called Ann. They had at least one daughter, Emma Ann baptised on 18th September 1831. It would appear that following James’s death in 1878, his property descended to Emma Ann. Click here to read about James Screen
Emma Ann Shepherd nee Screen. Emma Ann Screen, James’s daughter, was baptised on 18th September 1831. In the rate books from 1880 the property was owned by Emma Ann Shepherd nee Screen who owned other property including 36 and 38 Castle Street. Emma married William Evan Shepherd the son of the postmaster George Shepherd. On the day before their marriage Emma and George signed an agreement that the rents from her properties should be collected and paid to her (not her husband) by her trustees. Emma died in 1917 and after her death her properties were put up for sale by her trustees at this time, Edgar Pitcher and Charles Pauley. Click here to read more
The sale catalogue of Wednesday July 11th 1917 described the two cottages in Chapel Street that were to be sold by Messrs Crossman solicitors and Luce Young and Alpass auctioneers;
“Lot 7 A freehold Cottage and garden situate in Chapel Street Thornbury Glos and let to Mr F Cann upon a weekly tenancy at a rental of £7 16s 0d per annum landlord paying rates. The cottage contains front room kitchen and two bedrooms
Lot 8 a similar cottage and garden. Adjoining lot 7 in the occupation of Mrs Laura Underhill upon a weekly tenancy at a rental of £7 3s 0d. Landlord paying rates.”
Lillian Mary Exell. In August 1917 the two properties were sold to Miss Lillian Mary Exell. Lilian was baptised in Thornbury in 1885 and was the daughter of Thomas Exell a corn factor and his wife Maria. Click here to read about Thomas Exell and his family. It seems possible that Lilian Mary Exell was living in Battersea in 1929 as that name appears in the Electoral Roll for the property. If this is correct she was living at 87 Overstrand Mansions with Jacob and Sylvia Gorsky. In 1930 Thomas Exell died and left his two daughters his estate which included 32 High Street, 12 and 14 St Mary Street and 4 Horseshoe Lane and 10 Upper Bath Road.
Lilian married Reginald David Edwards, a brewer’s surveyor in Bath on 4th April 1931. Reginald lived in Mangotsfield. The Ancestry website shows the First World War record of Reginald David Edwards. This shows that that his first wife was Elsie Ellen Edwards and that they were married in Tytherington on February 5th 1908. He had two children Joyce Helen and John Lester.
The 1926 rate book shows that “Lily Exell” owned numbers 8 and 10 Chapel Street.
Lilian Mary Edwards died on 17th March 1947 intestate. As her personal representative, her sister Bertha Annie Winter of Kenilworth, Edward Street Blandford Forum sold the two properties to Leslie Hawkins and Lyndon Hawkins on 30th September 1947.
Leslie Hawkins and Lyndon Hawkins. Leslie and Lyndon were two brothers and they were the sons of a builder Phillip George Hawkins. Click here to read about this family
Winifred Southon. On 12th October 1948 Leslie James Hawkins and Lyndon Hawkins sold 8 Chapel Street and the right to buy 10 Chapel Street to Miss Winifred Southon of Stinchcombe Hill, Dursley. It seems unlikely that she took up this option to buy 10 Chapel Street as on 31st December 1958 Leslie and Lyndon Hawkins sold that house to Thornbury District Council.
Winifred sold 8 Chapel Street to Ellen Maria Barnes for £1000 on 30th May 1949.
The Barnes and the Bayntuns. Ellen Maria Barnes was already a widow when she bought the property from Winifred Southon on 30th May 1949 for £1000. Ellen moved to Thornbury from her previous address at 4 Kent Road, Bishopston, Bristol. The 1950 electoral register shows that Ellen’s daughter, Betty Warwick Bayntun and her husband, Robert Hippesley Bayntun also moved with her. On 25th July 1952 Ellen sold 8 Chapel Street to her daughter, Betty and Robert Bayntun for £700. Ellen had already moved to the Severn Stars. Click here to read about Ellen
On the 18th November 1953 Robert and Betty Bayntun sold 8 Chapel Street and they moved to live in 2 Chapel Street where we understand they took over the running of the butchers shop. Click here to read about Robert and Betty Bayntun
John and Emily Bulloch. On the 18th of November 1953 Robert and Betty Bayntun sold 8 Chapel Street to John Bulloch a turf accountant of The Caravan Heathfield near Berkeley for £1100. On the 19th November 1953 the property was mortgaged by John Bulloch to Thornbury District Council. The house was said to be formerly described as number 1 and now number 8 Chapel Street. The 1958 electoral roll shows that Emily and John Bulloch lived at 8 Chapel Street.
The 1954 and 1958 electoral rolls show John and Emily Bulloch continued to live at 8 Chapel Street. As part of the compulsory purchase scheme John Bulloch a turf accountant sold 8 Chapel Street to Thornbury District Council on the 9th November 1959 for £1,550 less the small amount of mortgage still outstanding.
In the early 1960s both properties were demolished to enable to the Council to build Streamleaze Flats.