The two houses, 8 and 10 Chapel Street in Thornbury had a shared history and were generally sold as a pair. We know they each had only four rooms. However we know very little about what the houses looked like and would appreciate any photographs or information to clarify the point. This tiny extract from an aerial photograph shows the Wheatsheaf public house in its distinctive black and white “Tudor” style. The two long buildings next to that are the skittle alley and buildings of the pub. To the left of that is the white house that is definitely 8 Chapel Street. Number 10 Chapel Street may be either part of that white building or the darker one next to it. Both houses were demolished in the 1960s and were replaced by a public housing scheme.
Samuel and Caroline Haynes. The 1840 Tithe Survey suggests that Samuel lived at what became 8 Chapel Street but the 1841 census shows Samuel Haynes had moved to the cottages opposite the Cossham Hall. Samuel was then aged about 30 with his wife Caroline aged about 35. They had a one year old daughter Eliza and Caroline’s son, Thomas Moxham, aged 14. Thomas Moxham was baptised 17th September 1827. His mother Caroline Moxham and Samuel Haynes married on 9th December 1832. Click here to read more
John Trayhurn. We suspect that the 1851 census shows that John Trayhurn aged 56 a journeyman tailor lived here with his wife Hester aged 52. His sons Henry aged 27 and Charles aged 21 were tailors too. Thomas aged 9 and Fanny aged 13 were still at school. The family may also have been living there in the 1841 census, but we can’t be sure. Click here to read more
Henry Mainstone. In the 1859 rate book James Screen owned two houses in Chapel Street, one of which was occupied by Henry Mainstone. The 1851 census shows that Henry Mainstone occupied 8 Chapel Street. Henry was aged 26 and a journeyman baker and his wife Alice was 25. By this time they had two children Rosina aged 2 and Edward aged one.
The 1861 census shows that Henry Mainstone was 38 years old and a journeyman baker. His wife, Alice was 35. Both Henry and Alice were from Iron Acton. By 1871 he had moved to St Mary Street. Click here to read more
Ann Lester. In the 1871 census this house next door to the Wheatsheaf was occupied by Ann Lester. The census shows that she was 78 years old and formerly a laundress. She was born in Brinkworth in Wiltshire. Ann had been married to John Lester. In the 1876 rate book she is referred to as “Nancy Lester. ” Read more about Ann Lester
John Charles Savery In the rate book of 1880 John Savery lived in this house. The 1881 Census shows that John Savery was a drayman aged 29 and born in Thornbury. His wife Fanny was aged 28 and a dressmaker who was born in Olveston. In 1881 they had one child William aged five. Also living with the family was Samuel Rugman a 22 year old labourer. John and Fanny had already lost one son John Savery who was baptised 17th December 1877 and died only one day old. The record of the baptism of this baby shows that John Charles Savery was a carter. Read more about the Savery family.
Mark Curthoys The rate books of 1885 and 1887 show that Mark Curthoys lived in this house. Mark Curthoys was a letter carrier who was born in Aust, his wife, Alice a semptress was born in Thornbury. They had six children; Elizabeth and Annie both born in Thornbury, Luke born in Aust. Ellen and Matilda were both after the family returned to Thornbury. Read about Mark and Alice Curthoys
William Newman. From 1890 the rate book shows us that William Newman lived in the house next to the Wheatsheaf. The 1891 census says that William was aged 24 and was a “rural messenger” for the Post Office. His wife Sarah was also aged 24. They had two children Mary aged three and William aged six months. They had two boarders William Bendall and George Newman, both aged 18 and both general labourers.
William Newman was born in Berkeley about 1867. He married Sarah Bendall in 1886. Sarah Bendall was baptised on 5th May 1867 at Thornbury and was the daughter of John Bendall a labourer and his wife Mary.
In 1887 they had been living at 35 St Mary Street. We do not know whether William Newman used a horse and cart as part of being a rural messenger. If he did it is possible that he was delivering Christmas post on 21st December when he was charge with riding on a wagon without reins in Almondsbury and fined 8s 6d.
By 1899 they had moved to 9 St John Street. In 1901 the family lived at Crossways. Their children were Mary aged 13 and William aged 10 and Thomas aged six months. They had a four year old boarder Josiah Vizard. By 1911 he had moved to Chipping Sodbury. The Western Daily Press of 26th November 1903 reported that William Newman of Crossways was in trouble for stealing cauliflowers. The problem appeared to be a dispute between neighbours rather than a serious theft. William had called at his neighbour’s house to get his razor strap returned. As he left with the strap the neighbour’s lodger William Ball watched him leave and as he left he jumped over the wall into the neighbour’s garden and appeared to put some cauliflowers into a bag. Up until this time the two neighbours had got on well and William had been allowed to take cauliflower leaves for his pigs. The postmaster Mr Robins gave William good character reference and said that he had been a postal messenger for 17 years and was of very good character. He was found guilty and given the option of a £4 fine or one month’s imprisonment.
Charles Cornock. Charles lived in this property for a short time around 1899 to 1900. Charles Cornock was baptised on 2nd November 1873 the son of George Cornock a labourer and his wife, Jane. He had lived with his family at 20 Rock Street and 3 Bath Road.
Charles married Elizabeth Mills on 30th March 1891. The marriage certificate claimed Charles was aged 20 when he married but he was baptised on 2nd November 1873 and in the 1881 census was shown to be seven years old. In the 1891 census when Charles and Elizabeth were living at Poultry Brook Cottage Charles was listed as being aged 18.
His wife Elizabeth Mills was said to be aged 23 and the daughter of Thomas Mills, also a labourer. We believe that Elizabeth was baptised on 19th July 1863 at Oldbury and therefore probably closer to being 28 than 23 years old.
Their first son Thomas Charles Cornock was baptised 29th December 1891. We are not sure where the other children were baptised. The records of the Council Upper School show that a daughter Mabel Cornock was born on 27th July 1895.
On 2nd January 1900 the Bristol Times reported that Charles Cornock of Chapel Street was charged with stealing an overcoat worth 15s, the property of William Wilmot of Crossways. Mr Wilmot was a roadman in the employ of Thornbury District Council and he had left his coat in a wheelbarrow on the side of the road in Easton Hill Road. The coat was found in a perambulator in the home of Charles Cornock, who was fined £1.
On March 4th 1900 another daughter Violet Eveline Cornock was baptised at St Mary’s church in Thornbury. At that time the family still lived in Chapel Street. Violet’s death was registered in the June quarter of 1901 whilst the family still lived in Thornbury. She was one year old.
In the 1901 census the house appeared to be unoccupied. Charles Cornock then aged 27 had moved to Crossways where he lived with his wife Elizabeth aged 38 and their children, Albert aged 11, William aged 8, Mabel aged 5, Daisy 3 and Jack aged 2.
Mabel Cornock left Council Upper School in 1904. Notes on the school record show that the family left town.
The 1911 census shows that they had moved to Kingswood. Charles now aged 39 had been married for 20 years and had had 11 children, eight of whom survived. Elizabeth his wife was 48. Of their children at home Mabel and Daisy were working. Daisy was only 13 years old. There were three more children in the family Lily aged nine, Gladys aged eight and Annie aged four.
Thomas Downes. The 1905 rate book shows that Thomas Downes lived in a house owned by Mrs Shepherd next to the Wheatsheaf. This later became 8 Chapel Street. He had moved here from 6 Bath Road where he had been living in the 1901 census. He was shown as a tenant in this house in the 1907 poor rate book. Thomas died aged 70 and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 10th January 1908. The burial record describes Thomas as a sawyer. Read more about Hannah Smart who married Thomas Downes
Laura Underhill. The rate book of 1910 shows that Laura Underhill lived next door to the Wheatsheaf in a property owned by Emma Shepherd and that Frederick Cann lived next door. Laura Underhill was the daughter of Thomas Wilson and the wife of Charles Underhill both licensees of the Horseshoe Inn. Charles and Laura had lived at 20 Gloucester Road. They appear to have moved to Lower Bath Road as Charles died there aged 41 on 11th November 1909 and was buried in Thornbury. In the 1911 census Laura was a widow aged 42 years who worked as a charwoman. The Census shows that she had been married 18 years and had one child. Her daughter Annie Underhill aged ten years was living with her. The census record shows that the house had three rooms including the kitchen.
Annie Underhill was born on 28th August 1900 and her address was Bath Road when she started the Council Upper School in 1907. Annie left school aged 14.
The electoral roll of 1931 shows Mrs Laura Underhill still lived in Chapel Street. She seems to have remained there until about 1935 as she appeared in the electoral roll for that year. Laura may have died in Bristol in 1939 aged 69.
William Price. The register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the war lists William and Jane Price living in this house in Chapel Street. William was described as a hardware salesman born on 15th July 1878. Jane was born on 1st August 1886.
In 1946 the electoral roll shows William Price gave his address as 1 Chapel Street which was the address that later became number 8 Chapel Street. When the property was advertised for sale in 1947 it was said to be a semi-detached cottage and garden let for the rental of 7/- a week to Mr Price. The description said it had “two bedrooms, living room with cupboards, Back Kitchen with sink and boiler. Company’s Water, Gas and Electric, Main Drainage Garden at rear with W.C. and Tool Shed thereon.” The property was readvertised in 1948 so it presumably failed to sell in 1947.
By 1955 the property was occupied by John and Emily Bulloch.