Harol & Irene Barton Golden Wedding 1977

Harold & Irene Barton at their golden wedding

Harold and Irene Barton (shown above) lived in the house now known as 1 Crispin Lane from 1929 to 1934/5.  Harold had been born in Baden (or Baddon) Hill on 14th November 1900.  He was born the son of a domestic servant, Annie Elizabeth Barton of Baddon Hill in Falfield and he was baptised on 8th March 1901 in Falfield.   His father was Henry Thomas Lambert and Henry listed Harold amongst his dependants when he enlisted for World War I .  He was the grandson of James Barton, a stone quarry labourer and his wife, Sarah and he appears to have lived with them for much of his life as he was listed in their household in the 1901 census aged three months and in the 1911 Census aged 10 years.

Irene Barton with twins at Crispin Lane

Irene Barton with the twins in Crispin Lane

Harold was a farmer who worked for many years for Mr Chambers at Alveston.  Harold married Irene Mary Rugman in Thornbury in December quarter 1925.  Irene was born in 1904 near Hortham.  Harold and Irene first lived in The Square at Alveston in 1925 .  They then moved to Grovesend where they had Henry Thomas born 4th May 1926 and Norman Harold born on 17th September 1929.  Later they moved to 1 Crispin Lane where the twins, Brian John and David George were born on 8th April 1931.

In about 1933 the family moved again to 5 Upper Bath Road where Hilary Mary born on 5th April 1934, Margaret Irene on 8th February 1936, Gerald born about 1938 and Derek born about 1942.  Harold died in Alveston on 4th February 1990.

We have a collection of photographs of the Barton family.   Click here to see them

Of their children,

Henry Barton Bevin Boy

Henry Barton “Bevin Boy”

Henry was a farm labourer and worked on farms in the area on jobs such as hedge laying, which he talked about with great enthusiasm.  He was conscripted to work in the mines in World War II and worked in mines in South Wales.   He was very proud when the sacrifices of the Bevin boys were finally acknowledged and he was awarded his service medal, although it came many years afterwards and not long before he died.  He lived with his wife Marion in Stafford Crescent until his death about 2012.  He was a great character and had a lovely local accent, which he refused to have recorded for the oral history records of Thornbury Museum.  He often described how he first saw Marion in Alveston and immediately decided “she’ll do for me”.

David died in 2000.  David’s twin brother Brian lives with sister Hilary in Thornbury.  Derek moved to live in France.