Daniel was a carpenter and builder who was born about 1792 in Lineham in Wiltshire. He had moved to Thornbury by 1815 when he married Hester Jenkins on 8th April. Hester was baptised on 6th October 1791, the daughter of John and Sarah Jenkins of Morton. An indenture dated 1824 referring to property at 5 Horseshoe Lane shows that Daniel had previously been a tenant in that house. We don’t know when or for how long he lived there.
An indenture dated 25th March 1819 shows that Daniel purchased off Ann Taylor ‘All that messuage or tenement and dwelling house situate in Thornbury in a street there called Back Street or St Mary Street formerly in the possession of Hannah Hollister widow afterwards of Joseph Shearman late of the said John Tayler deceased and now of the said Ann Tayler with the garden thereto adjoining and belonging. And also all that newly erected building erected and built by the said Daniel Burchell on the site of an old tenement and shed which adjoined the said messuage or dwelling house and were pulled down by him and which said newly erected building is intended for a dwelling house and blacksmith’s shop together with all outhouses etc etc ‘
These properties were on the corner of Horseshoe Lane and St Mary Street and later became known as 21 and 23 St Mary Street. Land tax records show that Daniel lived here until 1824.
We know from a later indenture dated 2nd June 1883 that Daniel went on to develop the site by building two houses and a coach-house in the rear of these buildings and adjoining Horseshoe Lane. The two houses later became known as ‘Marylands’ and the coach-house became Charles King’s garage and workshop.
In 1824 he moved to number 19 St Mary Street, a house he had bought from Ann Caddy on 5th and 6th December 1823 for £400. This was described as ‘All that messuage or tenement with appurtenances situate in Thornbury in a certain street there called St Mary Street alias the Back Street containing the whole by estimation one burgage and extending forwards to the aforesaid street on the westward side and extending backwards into a street there called St Johns Street on the eastward side and adjoining to a house belonging to the poor of Thornbury formerly in tenure of Susannah Facey but now of John Edmonds on the northward side and to a lane or highway leading from St Mary Street towards a place called Gillingstool on the southward side thereof which said messuage or tenement curtillage and premises are situate in the Borough of Thornbury and late in the possession of Robert Caddy deceased then of Ann Caddy and Hester Caddy and also all outhouses etc etc‘.
Thus 19 St Mary Street was to become the family home for many years and there was a lot of land attached which gave Daniel plenty of scope for building further properties.
Daniel and Hester had several children: Sarah born about 1817, Bryant Jenkins baptised on 5th April 1818, Alfred baptised on 17th March 1820, Ann baptised on 9th June 1822, Jane baptised on 28th May 1824, Helen born in February 1826, John born about 1828, Henry baptised on 10th October 1830, Frederick born about 1834 and George William baptised on 2nd July 1837.
The 1840 Tithe Survey shows Daniel owned several buildings in the centre of Thornbury. These included Plot 220, the family home at 19 St Mary Street, Plot 221 – two houses and garden occupied by Maria Cam and William Clark (these houses later became 21 and 23 St Mary Street), Plot 222 – two houses occupied by William Goff and John Shield (these house later became 8 and 10 Horseshoe Lane), Plot 223 – garden occupied by himself and Plot 226 – six houses and gardens occupied by John Screen, Charles Owen Pearce, Mary Jackson, Mary Langobeare, Mary Olive and John Birt (these house became 2 – 12 Pullins Green). Daniel had also built the two houses 2 and 4 Horseshoe Lane on Plots 224 and 225 on a garden or orchard he had purchased from Ann Caddy. He sold to these two houses to Sarah Trayhurn in 1830.
The 1841 census shows the Burchell family were living in St Mary Street in the house which later became known as Warwick House, 19 St Mary Street. There is a note in the Museum which records that the Burchells were in business at this property for nearly 100 years. It is likely therefore that they moved into this property about the time or shortly after their wedding.
The 1841 census shows Daniel as a carpenter and builder aged 50, Hester was aged 48, Bryant aged 23, Alfred aged 20, Ann aged 17, John aged 13, Henry aged 10, Frederick aged 8 and George aged 4. Daniel and Hester’s daughter, Jane was visiting her married sister, Sarah, in Iron Acton.
The 1851 census shows Daniel was a carpenter employing 4 men. He and Hester were now living with Bryant J a journeyman carpenter aged 32, Jane aged 28, Henry a journeyman butcher aged 20, Frederick a journeyman carpenter aged 17, George William a scholar aged 14 and a grand-daughter, Hester Matilda Nicholls aged 11 and from Iron Acton, and a visitor James Smith, a butcher aged 22 from Brinkworth in Wiltshire.
We know from newspaper reports that Daniel was involved in several major building projects in the area. These included the refurbishment of Rockhampton Church, the conversion of William Rolph‘s house in the High Street to form the new Police Station there in 1859 and the building of the National School and School House.
The 1861 census shows Daniel as a carpenter employing 4 men and 1 boy. He and Hester were living with their unmarried children: Bryant J, a foreman carpenter, Frederick a journeyman carpenter, George W a solicitors general clerk, Jane and John a foreman builder.
Daniel died on 16th September 1866 aged 75. In his Will dated 15th September 1866, Daniel left his estate to Hester during her lifetime, but after her death, his house, workshops, outbuildings, yard and garden were left to his eldest son, Bryant. The rest of his estate was put into trust to be shared with all his surviving children. Note – fifty pounds were left specifically to John Burchell, Daniel’s grandson and the son of Daniel’s son, Henry, who had died in Stone in 1861 aged 30.
The 1871 census shows Hester as a carpenter’s wife employing 7 men living with Bryant J. a carpenter, George W. an accountant and Jane an annuitant, and a niece visitor, Jane Marsh, an annuitant aged 48. Hester died on 14th August 1875 aged 84.
Of Daniel and Hester’s children:
Sarah – born about 1818. On 5th March 1839 Sarah married Daniel Nichols, a saddler from Iron Acton and the son of John Nichols, a farmer. Daniel and Sarah settled in Iron Acton and lived there all their lives. Daniel died in 1866 aged 51. After Daniel’s death, Sarah ran a shop in the High Street of Iron Acton with her unmarried daughter, Hester Matilda born about 1841. Her son, William Henry, became a saddler and carried on living with his mother and sister. Daniel and Sarah had one other son, Frederick born about 1843. Sarah died in 1903 aged 87.
Bryant Jenkins – born in 1818. He became a carpenter working in his father’s business where he became a foreman. In his father’s will he was left the house, workshops, outbuildings and yard in St Mary Street so he presumably took over his father’s business. Bryant never married. In his will which was written in 1872, he left the St Mary Street property to his brother, Frederick. He also left a freehold cottage and garden at Easton Hill in the occupation of Mrs Emma Weeks to his nephew, Thomas Anstey (the son of his sister, Ann). The 1876, 1880 and 1885 rate books show that at that time Bryant also owned two properties which later became known as 6 and 8 St John Street. An abstract of title relating to these properties showed that Bryant had built both houses on the site of two older properties. He died on 15th December 1888 aged 70.
Alfred – born in 1820. In 1846 he married Ann Morgan and they settled to live on Pullins Green. Click here to read more about Alfred and his family
Ann – born in 1822. On 5th June 1845, Ann married Thomas Anstey, a tailor and the son of Thomas Anstey, a farmer. Thomas and Ann had two children: Henry baptised on 23rd August 1847 and Thomas baptised on 20th October 1850. Thomas died on 24th April 1850 aged 28. The 1851 census shows Ann was a grocer living at 41 High Street. Her brother, John Burchell was living with her and her sons – John was a carpenter aged 22. Ann carried on living in the High Street. She died on 18th February 1895 aged 72. Click here to read more
Jane – born in 1824. She never married and for most of her life she lived with her parents. After their deaths, she continued living in the family home with her brother, Bryant and then after his death in 1888, the 1891 census shows she lived there with her nephew, Daniel and niece, Helen, the children of Jane’s brother, Frederick who was living next door. The 1899 rate book shows Jane still living here, but the 1901 census shows her staying with her sister, Sarah Nichols in Iron Acton. Jane died on 9th January 1903 aged 78. The 1885 rate book shows Jane inherited from her father the 6 cottages on Pullins Green (which later became known as numbers 2 – 12). On her death, Jane left these properties to her brother Frederick.
Helen – born in 1826. She died aged 9 years 5 months on 25th July 1835.
John – born about 1828. In 1866 John married Mary, the widow of his late brother, Henry. They moved to live in Lewisham in Kent. The 1871 census shows them living in 6 Forest Villas where John was a builder. Living with them then was Mary’s son, John aged 13 and her mother who was now called Hannah Woodward since her marriage to Enoch Woodward, a pig killer, in 1842. The 1901 census shows John as a retired builder living with Mary at 21 London Road, Lewisham. John died in 1904 aged 76.
Frederick – born in 1834. In his earlier years he was a carpenter. In 1870, Frederick married Edith Ayers in the Bristol area. Edith came from Brimscombe near Stroud about 1838. They settled in Thornbury. In the 1871 census Frederick is shown as being a lime burner and farmer of 10 acres employing 3 men and 1 boy and he and Edith were living at The Coombe in Gloucester Road. The 1876 and 1880 rate books show he was only renting The Coombe from George Ball and he was also renting land nearby, presumably for his farming. The 1881 census shows Frederick had returned to being a carpenter and joiner, although he was however continuing to rent the land in Gloucester Road so may have carried on with his farming interests. He was still living at The Coombe with Edith and their children: Frederick Henry baptised 9th November 1873, Edward born on 5th May 1875 and baptised 30th May 1875, Arthur William baptised on 17th September 1876, Helen baptised on 15th October 1879. Frederick and Edith had had one other child, Daniel baptised on 19th November 1871, who was living with his uncle, Bryant, in St Mary Street. They had another son, Robert John, baptised on 4th December 1881.
On 2nd June 1883 Frederick chose to take up the option of purchasing some of the property left by his father Daniel Burchell. He paid £380 for the two properties in St Mary Street (later known as 21 and 23 St Mary Street) and two properties in Horseshoe Lane later known as ‘Marylands’ and the coachouse which lay between the four properties. These properties had all been built by Daniel Burchell.
By 1885, Frederick was living in the house which later became known as 21 St Mary Street, next door to the family home. Following the death of his brother, Bryant, in 1888, Frederick also inherited number 19 St Mary Street.
The 1899 Rate Book and the 1901 census shows Frederick still living at 21 St Mary Street. His sons, Daniel and Robert John had become carpenters and Edward had become a saddler. One of their others sons, Frederick Henry, had become a solicitor’s clerk. He had moved away from home when he married Elizabeth Mabel Mary Boulton in 1897. The 1905 rate book shows Frederick had moved to 19 St Mary Street. Read more about Frederick Henry
Frederick died on 5th September 1905 aged 72. On 5th November 1907 there was a sale by auction of Frederick’s property. This included the various properties in St Mary Street, Horseshoe Lane and Pullins Green which are on the very detailed plan shown on the right. Click on this plan to see the full detail. Frederick’s also owned Combe Cottage in the Gloucester Road, a piece of garden ground near the Coombe and a house at Crossways occupied by Sarah Pritchard. Edith died in St Mary Street on 13th July 1907 aged 67. They are buried in Thornbury Cemetery with their son, Daniel who died in Thornbury Hospital on 17th June 1910 aged 38 and Robert John who died in Thornbury Hospital on 3rd March 1955 aged 73. Robert John’s address at the time of his death was noted as being The Grey House, The Knapp.
The records of the Thornbury Cricket Club include a thumbnail sketch written about ‘Bob Burchell’ by Edgar Mervyn Grace which we assume must relate to the same Robert John.
Robert Burchell – Bob was a typical cheery village cricketer, a very hard hitter who scored very fast, hitting sixes galore, first for the Castle Cricket Club and then for Thornbury. When needed he could keep wicket very well and on one occasion at the crucial moment stumped a heavyweight batsman who had swung too vigorously at a ball and had overbalanced and was rolling on the crease, causing great amusement. In later years, however Bob put on a lot of weight but despite the loss of one eye, continued to register sixes to the delight of the spectators.
Bob’s name also appears in the records of the Thornbury Football Club in the late 1890’s.
George William – born in 1837. He worked first as a solicitor’s general clerk and then as an accountant. He never married and lived at home. He died on 5th July 1876 aged 39.