There were several generations of William Greenwood in Thornbury. This page covers the family of William Greenwood who married Mary Robbins in 1735 and this became the owner of the property at 13 High Street which was to be the family home for many years.
William Greenwood and Mary (formerly Robbins) – in 1728 to 1733 the Overseers Accounts show Mary Robbins liable for paying rates ‘for Ogbornes’ which we know to 13 High Street. Mary ‘Robins’ married William Greenwood in St Michael’s Church, Bristol in 1735. Thereafter William was shown as the person paying the rates. See 13 High Street for more about Mary Robbins, formerly Thurston nee Hibbs.
We believe that property was the home of the Greenwood family from about 1735 onwards. The 1739 Poor Assessment listing shows William Greenwood as responsible for the poor rate describing the property as ‘for Ogbornes’.
We have a copy of a draft indenture dated 14th April 1750 for the property next door (11 High Street). This document refers to the property on the south as ‘formerly of one William Ogborne deceased but now of William Greenwood’.
William and Mary had at least one child, William. He was born about 1735 and baptised on 29th December 1745 at which time the baptism record shows he was aged about ten.
William Greenwood was Mayor of Thornbury from 1744-1746 and again in 1754/5. A reference to William Greenwood appears in in 1766 when he is one of the creditors of John Stone, a maltster who became bankrupt. We are not clear how much money John Stone owed William Greenwood and whether this severely affected William.
William and Mary appear to have lived in 13 High Street for many years. They are shown there in the 1753 Poor Assessment. The 1770 Assessment for the Relief of the Poor and 1775 Land Tax record show William Greenwood snr living at 13 High Street (two doors from the Swan) paying 2d per month in poor rate.
The land tax records of 1780 to 1782 show William senior was letting the property at 13 High Street to his son, William junior. William junior died in April 1783 and the 1783 land tax record shows ‘Mrs Greenwood’ (presumably William’s widow) was the occupant of the property. The 1784 land tax record shows ‘Widow Greenwood’ was the owner and occupant of the property.
We are not sure where William senior and his wife went to live after 1770.
Mary Greenwood (formerly Robbins) died 24th March 1782 aged about 87 and was buried in the Quaker Burial Ground ‘at or near Thornbury’. William was buried at Thornbury on 6th June 1792 aged seventy-nine years.
William Greenwood and Mary (nee Taylor) – William Greenwood the Younger was baptised on 29th December 1745 and we are told in the Register at Thornbury that he was then aged ten-years. He was the son of William Greenwood, Senior and his wife, Mary (formerly Robbins) (see above).
William became a baker. He married Mary Taylor, the daughter of James Taylor of Morton and Oldbury. The date and place of the wedding is not known. Mary Taylor was baptised on 27th December 1738 at Thornbury. She was the daughter of James Taylor, a yeoman of Morton and Elberton, and his wife Mary.
William and Mary had at least eleven children between 1763 and 1780. Their third child was Mary Greenwood, born on 3rd May 1764 and baptised 4 March 1767. Mary died aged six years and was buried on 18th August 1770. Their fourth child was William Greenwood, born on 9th February 1766 and baptised 10th March 1766. He died on the 13th March, just one month old. Their son James also died as an infant and was buried on 29th April 1778.
They seem to have had at least three children who survived their childhood. Their fifth child was Sarah Greenwood who was born on 5th February 1767 and baptised on 4th March 1767. Their sixth child was William Greenwood born 15th November 1768 and baptised 29th December 1768. Their seventh child was John Greenwood who was born 31st October 1771 and baptised 1st January 1772.
An indenture dated 15th August 1771 shows that William Greenwood the younger, a baker bought a void property at 7 Castle Street for £20. We assume that William and Mary lived here for a time. We think he was listed as living here in the 1775 Land Tax record. We note that in 1775 William jnr bought the property where the Plough (now the Mumtaz) stands from Thomas Neale, but we’re not sure what he did with this property.
The land tax records from 1780 to 1782 show William junior living in 13 High Street, a property owned by his father. William was letting out 7 Castle Street to James Taylor.
William died in April 1783 aged forty-six years. The 1783 land tax record shows ‘Mrs Greenwood’ (presumably William’s widow) was the occupant of the property. The 1784 land tax record shows ‘Widow Greenwood’ was the owner and occupant of the property.
Mary was listed as the owner in the land tax records from 1783 to 1800 (we have not seen any records between 1800 and her death in 1804). According to the 1791 Universal Directory Mary was a maltster. She was renting the malthouse owned by George Rolph which was in St Mary Street near the rear of 13 High Street.
Mary made her last will and testament on 27th July 1804. During the following year she must have died because the will was proved on 13th April 1805. She left her daughter Elizabeth Eley the wife of James Eley, and Mary Shepherd the wife of John Shepherd £70 each. She also left property to be shared equally amongst her children William, Hannah and Sarah Greenwood. There was also a reference to property which would have been left to their children Martha and Richard who had since died. There is no specific reference to the property at 13 High Street, but the later land tax records show that her son, William, became its owner (see below).
Of William and Mary’s other surviving children:
John– became a cordwainer and married Sarah Lewis on 16th November 1797
Hannah – died a spinster about 1835.
William – the baptismal register shows ‘William was born on 15th November 1768, sixth child and second son of William Greenwood, Junior, Baker and Mary his wife, daughter of James Taylor of Oldbury, yeoman, and Mary Bradley of Elberton, his wife, and baptised on 29th December 1768.’
William married Ann Thomas on 22nd December 1799 at Thornbury. Ann was born on 2nd August 1771, the daughter of a cordwainer from Olveston. William and Ann had two children: Hannah born on 17th October 1801 and baptised on 10th January 1802 and William born on 12th August 1806 and baptised on 5th November 1806.
The land tax records indicate that William Greenwood owned and occupied the property at 13 High Street from 1809 onwards. We assume that he would have inherited the property following the death of his mother in 1804 (we haven’t seen the land tax records from 1804 to 1808).
Ann died on 17th February 1837 aged sixty-four years. We know from an indenture dated 20th December 1837 when the property next door was being sold, that William owned the malthouse in St Mary Street.
William died on 8th March 1839 aged 69. His monumental inscription describes him as being formerly of Sibland, and late of Parish of Rockhampton. In his last will and testament dated 22nd August 1838 he referred to property at Crossways which he left to his son, William during his lifetime and then to be passed to his son, William. He left a property in Siblands occupied by Samuel Allen to his grand-daughter, Ann Jenkins. William directed his executors, James Watts, George Taylor and Richard Scarlett to pay £120 to his ‘reputed son William Grove’. William left the residue of his property to his daughter, Hannah, the wife of Thomas Jenkins, for her use during her lifetime and to be divided between her children after her death. We assume that this would have included the property at 13 High Street and the malthouse in St Mary Street.