Frederick was born in 1828, the son of William and Hannah Sainsbury, farmers of Kington. Read about William and Hannah Sainsbury
Thornbury Museum was lucky enough to receive a collection of photographs of the Sainsbury family. Click here to see it.
Up to the time of the 1851 census, Frederick lived and worked as an agricultural labourer on his parents farm. Later in 1851 he married Ellen Webb from Thornbury.
By 1861 Frederick and Ellen were living at Grovesend with their children: John baptised on 5th November 1851, Thomas baptised on 8th December 1852, Joseph baptised on 2nd July 1854 and Frederick baptised on 14th October 1857. By 1871 we believe that they had moved to Horseshoe Lane, in the house which later became number 11 Horseshoe Lane. This is confirmed by the Rate Books of 1876, 1880 and 1885 which shows them in one of these two houses. The 1871 Census shows that they had had more children: Elizabeth Celia (or Selina) baptised on 4th August 1861, Harry baptised on 3rd September 1865, Charles born in 1867 and Ellen born in 1870. Their son, Joseph, had become a plasterer by this time aged 16. Their son, Charles, died in 1873 aged 6.
By 1881 Frederick and Ellen were still living in what we believe to be 11 Horseshoe Lane. Their grand-daughter, Kate, was living with them and their son, Frederick, had become a painter.
In the 1891 census, Frederick was still working as an agricultural labourer now aged 64, Ellen was aged 61 and only Elizabeth now a dressmaker aged 29, Ellen now a teacher in elementary school aged 20, and Kate their grand-daughter aged 18 were living with them.
Frederick died in 1893 aged 67 years and is buried in Thornbury Congregational Burial Ground. In 1901 Ellen was living with her daughter, Ellen, and her husband, William Wall at 25 Pullins Green. Ellen died on 21st April 1917 aged 87 years.
Of their children:
- John Sainsbury married Eliza Mainstone in the March quarter 1873 in Clifton. We suspect that they had a child, Kate who was born in Clifton in the March quarter 1873. It looks like Eliza died in child-birth or shortly after as the records show the death of an Eliza Sainsbury in March quarter 1873 and John seems to have re-married in 1880 to Mary Ann Cullimore from Tytherington. In 1881 John was a gas fitter living at 35 Bellevue Crescent, Clifton. Mary Ann was aged 35 – they had no children. Kate was living with her grandparents, Frederick and Ellen, in Thornbury and then moved in with her aunt Ellen and her husband, William Wall at 25 Pullins Green. It appears that John and Mary Ann separated as she is shown as living on her own at 3 High Street in the 1891 and 1901 censuses. She was a married confectioner. We are not sure where John was. Mary Ann was shown in the 1926 rate book as living in 20 Gloucester Road and she died in 1928 aged 82. Kate Sainsbury never married and she continued living with the Wall family and assisted William and Ellen in the running of the shop. She died on November 15th 1960 aged 87 years. She is remembered by many of the older residents of Pullins Green and customers of the Wall shop.
- Thomas Sainsbury became a haulier. He married Annie H. Delancey on 24th January 1876 in Bristol. In the census of 1881 they were living at 22 Peel Street, Bristol. By 1891 Thomas had become a carman and the family had moved to 32 Callowhill Road, Bristol (which they shared with several other families) with their children: Joseph aged 5, Ellen aged 7, and Caroline aged 2. Thomas’s wife, Annie, died in 1892 aged 34. In the 1901 census, Thomas was living in 3 rooms in 3 Chelsea Park, Easton, Bristol with his three children: Ellen had become a cream cocoa maker and Joseph was a porter (oil and colour).
- Joseph Sainsbury – baptised on 2nd July 1854. Joseph became a plasterer and tiler. Click here to read more
- Frederick Sainsbury – in 1882, Frederick married Elizabeth Bethesda King who was born in Ubley and was seven years older than Frederick. In 1891, they were living at Thomas Street, St Paul’s Bristol. Frederick was a painter and paperhanger. They had children: Mabel Eveline born in 1884, Eva Blanch in 1887.
- Elizabeth Celia (or Selina) Sainsbury was born on June 28th 1861. On March 22nd 1897 she married John Nathan Bartlett who had lost his wife, Ellen, in 1894. John was a butcher on The Plain. Click here to read more
- Ellen Sainsbury married William Wall in 1895. Click here to read more