Until the 1960s there was a terrace of small houses on the West side of Gloucester Road in Thornbury. These cottages later became known as numbers 1 to 11 Gloucester Road. We know a little about the owners of the terrace, including the Wilmot family. Click here to read about about the owners of this row of houses
We have been able to trace some of the occupants of the cottage that became number 7 Gloucester Road in the census, land tax and other records.
William Rugman – in the 1840 Tithe Survey, the house was owned by Isaac Roberts who owned the whole terrace. The house thought to be number 7 was occupied by William Rugman. By the 1841 Census, William Rugman, an agricultural labourer aged 40, had moved to St John Street with his wife, Mary aged 40, Thomas aged 15, Eliza aged 10, William aged 8, Cornelius aged 6, Mapson aged 4 and Rebecca aged 1.
In the 1851 Census, the house was uninhabited.
Thomas Knight – in the 1861 census, the house was occupied by Thomas Knight, a tailor aged 36 from Bevington. He was living with Louisa, his wife, aged 32 from Thornbury, and their four children, Tom, aged 11 born in Bevington, and Laura aged 9, Clara aged 4 and Henry aged 2, all born in Thornbury.
Thomas King Knight was baptised in Berkeley on 17th August 1828, the son of Thomas Knight, a carpenter and Mary Anne (nee King). The family were living at Bevington at the time of the baptism. In 1841, Thomas was living with his parents in Pedington near Berkeley. Thomas married Louisa Hughes in the Bristol area in 1847. In 1851 they were living in Bevington, where Thomas was a tailor and Louisa a dressmaker.
By 1871 Thomas had moved from Gloucester Road and was living with Louisa and their son, Henry in the house which later became 4 Bath Road. Their elder son, Thomas was a blacksmith living next door with his wife, Clara. In 1881 Thomas had moved into Bristol and was an innkeeper at 31 Newfoundland Street. They were being helped ‘behind the bar’ by their two unmarried children, Kate aged 25 and Harry aged 22. In 1885 Louisa’s father Samuel Hughes died and Louisa was said to be present at his death which took place at their home in Newfoundland Street. Louisa Knight died 16th June 1913 aged 86. She was interred at Arno’s Vale Cemetery.
Isaac Clutterbuck – in 1871 the house was occupied by Isaac Clutterbuck, a widower aged 70. Isaac was a gardener from Elberton. Living with him was his son-in-law, Henry Smith, a labourer aged 25 from Thornbury and his wife Emma aged 24, also from Thornbury. There were two grandchildren, Clara Clutterbuck aged 7 and Emma Smith aged 1. Clara had been born whilst Emma was living at the Thornbury Union Workhouse.
On his second marriage Isaac declared that he was the son of James Clutterbuck, a labourer. However we have been informed that when he was baptised at Olveston he was baptised as Isaac James Cossam, apparently his parents were unmarried at that time. On 14th April 1823, Isaac married Martha Fry and they had a daughter, Jemima, baptised on 24th July 1826. Martha died aged 39 and was buried on 19th October 1839. Isaac married again on 17th March 1840 – his second wife was Esther Parnell, the daughter of Nicholas Parnell, a labourer.
Isaac and Esther had several children: Mary Anne baptised on 10th January 1841, William baptised on 8th November 1844, Emma baptised on 8th November 1846, John Parnell baptised on 28th October 1849, Eliza baptised in Thornbury on 9th July 1851, Hester Louisa baptised on 14th December 1853 and Fanny baptised on 6th January 1856.
In the 1841 census Isaac, a gardener and Esther were living at Pound House, Thornbury. They had one child, Mary Ann aged 7 months. Jemima must have been living elsewhere. She died aged 18 and was buried on 29th June 1845. The family must have moved after 1849 as when John Parnell Clutterbuck was baptised in October 1849 the family still lived in Thornbury.
By the 1851 census Isaac was a gardener at Milbury Heath. He was living there with Esther and their children, Mary Ann, Henry, William, Emma and John. It is noticeable that when Eliza was baptised in July 1851 their address was given as Grovesend but this could well be a way of describing some of the homes in Milbury Heath as the areas do come close. Esther died aged 44 and was buried on 22nd April 1859.
We have been told that by a researcher Ruth Withers who has been of great help to Thornbury Roots that Eliza Clutterbuck was brought up by her uncle George Stafford and his wife Margaret after her mother’s death. Eliza was living with the Stafford family in the 1861 Census. She later married John Roberts in 1874.
By the 1861 census, Isaac Clutterbuck and five of the children had moved from Milbury Heath and lived at Raglan Road in the house which later became known as 12 Upper Bath Road. He was living with, Mary Ann aged 20, William aged 15, John, an agricultural labourer aged 11, Louisa aged 7 and Fanny aged 5. Emma had left home to work as a domestic servant for Charles Augustus Porter in Castle Street.
In 1865 Mary Ann had a son, James William – click here to read more about James
Isaac died aged 77 and was buried on 16th February 1878. The burial record shows he was living at Crossways at the time.
Thomas and Sarah Greenman – the next information we have is in the 1876 Special Drainage District Rate Book which shows that Thomas Greenman is now the tenant. The 1871 census shows a Thomas Greenman a 29 year old brewer living in Upper Bath Road in Thornbury. The census says that Thomas was married to Sarah who was 34 and born in Compton Bishop, but we have not yet found a record of the marriage of Thomas and Sarah. We believe that Thomas was the son of John and Elizabeth Greenman.
By 1880 the Special Drainage District Rate Book has Sarah Greenman as tenant at 7 Gloucester Road, although we have not found the death of Thomas. The 1885 Rate Book shows that Sarah Greenman is still there. However, the census has conflicting information. According to the 1881 Census, the house was occupied by Sarah Marshall, an unmarried 47 year old laundress from Compton Bishop, Somerset. In spite of the different surname and marital status, Sarah Greenman and Sarah Marshall seem to be the same person.
We believe that she was born Sarah Marshall and the 1841 census shows that she was in Axbridge Union (the workhouse) aged 8. By 1851 the 18 year old Sarah Marshall had become a servant and was working for a family in Brean in Somerset. Sarah then seems to have moved to Thornbury and in the 1861 Census, was living in Ragland Road aged 26 and described as an unmarried washerwoman from Compton Bishop. She was living next door to the family of Job and Elizabeth Greenman.
The rate book of 1887 and 1891 census add to the confusion because it appears that Sarah must have changed her surname, although we have not yet traced the marriage. She was still in the house but listed under the name of Sarah Jackson, and now described as a married 57 year old laundress from Compton Bishop, Somerset. There is no sign of her husband. Sarah was living alone in the house which is shown as having 4 rooms.
The 1899 rate book shows that she was still in Thornbury but now living in the house that became known as 5 Rock Street. She had reverted to her previous name of Sarah Greenman. The 1901 census confirms this and shows her a widow aged 68 from Compton Bishop. When Sarah died in the June Quarter of 1902, her death was registered under her maiden name of Sarah Marshall.
She was 68 years old. The burial register for Thornbury Cemetery also lists her as ‘Sarah Marshall widow aged 69 of Outer Back Street’ when she buried on 2nd May 1902.
Mary Ann Salmon – the 1894 and 1899 rate books says that Mary Ann Salmon was a tenant at this time. This was probably the Mary Ann Salmon an office caretaker from Bruton in Somerset who was living in St Mary St in the 1901 census. She died in Thornbury in 1904. Click here to read more
Frederick William Liddiatt – the 1901 census shows that the house was occupied by Frederick William Liddiatt, a postman aged 38 and his wife Eliza Jane aged 30. They had a seven month old son called William Thomas.
Frederick was born in Thornbury in June quarter 1862, the son of William Liddiatt, a sawyer and his wife, Margaret (nee Mitchie). In 1881 Frederick William had been a sawyer living with his parents in Gillingstool. We believe that the family lived in a house which was later called ‘Killiney Cottage‘ and is now known as Endrick Cottage.
Frederick Liddiatt appears in the 1904 and 1905 Trade Directories and his occupation is shown as blacksmith but by 1906 it is indicated that he returned to being a postman, now living in Gillingstool. We think Frederick lived in a house nearly opposite the Black Horse at Gillingstool. Click here to read more about Frederick
Philip Maggs – the 1907 and 1910 rate books merely says the tenant’s name is ‘Maggs’. The 1911 census shows us that it was Phillip Maggs who was living here. In the 1909 electoral register he is also listed in the Gloucester Road under his full name of Philip John Albert Maggs.
Phillip was born in Winterbourne (the 1911 census says it was Frenchay) in 1884. He was the son of John Maggs, a butcher and his wife, Annie. In 1901 Philip was a general labourer living with his widowed mother in Hambrook. In 1906 Philip married Mary Elizabeth Smith who was born in St George, Bristol about 1882. They had two children, John Maggs born on 10th January 1907 and Kate born about 1909. The registers appear to show that Philip and Mary lived at 7 Gloucester Road in the early years of their marriage. The 1913 Voters List shows that they moved at that time from Gloucester Road to Bulls Eye Lane (now called Bath Road). An indenture relating to the Honeyborne family indicates that this is 2 Bath Road. They were there also when their son, John, started at the Council Upper School in 1914.
Mary died aged 34 and she was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 15th February 1917. Philip re-married in June quarter of the same year. His second wife was a widow, 1917 Elizabeth Annie Hopkins. She had been married to Thomas George Hopkins who had died in 1915. They lived in 7 Gloucester Road after the Maggs family moved to Bath Road.
Phillip was a butcher at the time of his second marriage in 1917. Following his marriage the family moved to Crossways where Philip had a smallholding. He and Elizabeth had several children of their own: Kate born on 13th February 1918, Albert Edgar born on 14th October 1919, Margaret Iris born on 31st October 1920 and Reginald Douglas born on 24th November 1921.
They continued living in Crossways until at least 1950. By 1954 they had moved Akrom, Easton Hill and they stayed here until their deaths. Philip died on 27th January 1965 aged 80. Elizabeth died on 29th July 1975.
Thomas George Hopkins – the last will and testament of Mary Ann Wilmot, the owner of the house written in 1914 mentions that the occupant of the house was Thomas G Hopkins. We know from the autobiography of his son, Francis George Hopkins that Francis was born in the house on the 5th December 1913. In 1907 Thomas had married Elizabeth Annie Jenkins and they had other children in addition to Francis: Frederick Charles Edward born on 29th May 1907 and Florence born on 9th April 1909. Thomas tragically died on 19th September 1915 when he was still only 30. His obituary shows that he worked as a ‘Boots’ in the Swan Hotel for about 10 years. About three weeks before his death ‘Tom’ had ran down the hotel yard to answer the bell and struck against a trolley standing against the stable, sustaining internal injuries from he never recovered. An inquest was held but they could not understand why Tom had run into the trolley as there was plenty of room to pass it. He had apparently hurt himself by running into a trolley two weeks before. A post mortem disclosed that he had ruptured his stomach. Tom was buried in Oldbury.
Elizabeth Annie married a widower, Philip Maggs, who had lived in 7 Gloucester Road before the Hopkins family had moved in (see above).
Ellen Gallop appeared in every electoral register between 1918 and 1930 and she was shown as living in the house in 1924 when the whole row of cottages were put up for sale. She was also listed as living there in the 1926 rate book although in this case she is shown as ‘Emma Gallop’.
Ellen was a widow. Ellen’s maiden name was Parsons. Her husband had been George Edward Gallop, whom she married in 1875 in Bristol. The Wrights Trade Directory of 1904 listed George as a gardener living in Castle Street. The 1910 rate book shows that it was 36 Castle Street. A newspaper article of 1932 said that George was a gardener at The Parks.
The 1911 Census shows that they were still living at 36 Castle Street. At this stage Edward and Ellen had been married for 36 years. George was described as a fish and fruit salesman aged 61 and had been born in Taunton. Ellen was aged 63 and born at High house, Somerset. They had had ten children, one of whom had died. They had a grandson living with them at that time, Howard Gallop aged 4 who had been born in the High Street in Thornbury. They had a boarder living with them; Frank Bishop aged 52, a tailor from Frome.
George died on 13th March 1915 aged 64. The Gazette of March 13th 1915 explains that George Edward Gallop was found dead near the Sheepwash in Oldbury on Severn. He had been out with his donkey and cart selling fish and fruit and had collapsed and died after leaving a nearby house.
Following this sad event, Ellen must have moved to Gloucester Road. We know this from the records of the deaths of two of their sons. We think that George and Ellen had about ten children.
One, George, was a Private in the 7th Battalion of the Gloucester Regiment when he died in Greece in 1915 aged 26. Another, Harold Ernest, was a Private in the 7th Battalion of the Somerset Light Infantry when he died in the Battle of Cambrai in 1917 aged 24. He married Emily Summers in March quarter 1915 and they lived at 6 Grovesend. In the 1911 census both Harold and Emily were servants at the Exchange in the High Street. We have found a report in the Dursley Gazette of January 19th 1918 which told us that “Mrs H.E. Gallop of Gillingstool Thornbury has received official intimation that her husband, Private H. E Gallop of the Somerset Light Infantry, was posted as missing on November 30th last. He has been serving in France since March 1915 and also has three more brothers serving.” Harold’s wife, Emily, married Clement Hurn in 1921.
The Gazette of Saturday May 18th 1918 has better news of Ellen’s sons. “Sergeant William Gallop son of the late Mr R. (sic) Gallop and Mrs Gallop of Gloucester Road, Thornbury has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in retreat from Firmey. Sergeant Gallop remained until the last and succeeded in getting his men and guns away.”
We do have one further mystery. The school records of St Mary’s School show that Harold and Audrey Margaret Gallop, two children of Albert Edward Gallop were admitted to the school in 1928. Albert’s address was given as Gloucester Road. We are not sure if Albert is one of the sons who survived the war and perhaps came to live with Ellen in her old age. However, Albert’s name is not shown in the Electoral Registers so we cannot explain what happened at this stage.
Mrs. Gallop’s death was announced in the Gazette of January 2nd 1932. She was aged 84 and was said to be residing in Gloucester at the time of her death and for the last two or three years of her life, although she had been a resident of Gloucester Road for many years before that. Two sons and two daughters were amongst the mourners at the funeral in Thornbury Cemetery.
Charlotte Thorne – we know from John Poulton who lived at number 5 as a small child that he can remember a lady he knew as ‘Granny Thorne’ living next door. The electoral registers do show a Charlotte Thorne was living somewhere in the street and we have been unable to link her with any other house, so we have pencilled her in for number 7 until we have more information. Charlotte shown in the registers from 1931 to 1939. She was not listed in this, or any other house, in the register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the war. As John Poulton was only born in 1938 it is likely he was referring to the period in the early 1940’s, rather than the 1930’s.
It is possible that she is the Charlotte Thorne buried in Thornbury Cemetery in 1947. This Charlotte was the widow of James Thorne of the Hackett who died in 1929 aged 72 years. Charlotte was 90 years old when she died on 1st June 1947. She had been living with her son, William Thorne in Roseberry Park, Redfield, Bristol since 1939.
Martha Young – we were told by Henry Smith who lived opposite that Martha Young moved in about 1943 and that she stayed there until she died about 1960. A memorandum from the Wilmot documents show that she was living there in 1942. The electoral registers confirm this and we have not been able to trace any other occupants in the house after Martha.
Martha was born in Rudgeway on 15th April 1884, the daughter of Luke and Jemima Dixon. In 1891 Martha was living with her parents and siblings in 17 Horseshoe Lane and in 1901 they were in Gillingstool. On 10th September 1904 Martha married a widower William Albert Young. Albert was a quarryman aged 26 and the son of William Young, a labourer at the time of the marriage.
They seem to have lived at Crossways as the Council School records show that Mrs Young of Crossways was the guardian of Maud Dixon when she started school in 1912. We have a newspaper article about a minor accident that happened to a young man called Albert Young in July 1932. His address was given as Eastland Ave in Thornbury and he may have been a son of Martha. William Albert Young died aged 59 and was buried on 6th November 1935. He was still being described as a quarryman at the time of his death. Martha does not appear in the Electoral Roll for 1935 but by 1938 she was living in 12 St Mary Street. The register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the war shows her living there. Another person is listed as living in the house in addition to Martha, but this name is blacked out.