Samuel Pegg – the 1890 Rate Book shows Samuel Pegg as the owner of the property, but he doesn’t appeared to have lived there.
Samuel was born about 1847 in Monkswearemouth, County Durham. His parents were Joseph Pegg, a shipowner from Sunderland and London and his wife, Elizabeth from Monkswearemouth. Samuel’ uncle was Samuel Pegg of the firm Messrs Bailey, Pegg & Co’ known as the iron kings’.
Samuel commenced a seafaring career as an ordinary apprentice, and worked his way up to the position of captain in the merchant service. In 1873 Samuel married Charlotte Elizabeth White in Bristol. Charlotte was born in Cardiff about 1853. She was the daughter of Silvester Langfield White who originally came from Long Sutton in Somerset but established himself in business in Cardiff Docks. Samuel retired from the merchant navy when he got married. We are not sure how he kept himself occupied. His obituary mentions that he was a member of the Worshipful Company of Dyers in which company he represented the third generation of his family. He was also a freeman of the City of London.
Samuel and Charlotte had five children: Samuel in 1874, Edith Mary in 1875, John Langfield born 1878, William Sylvester born in 1880 and George Frederick in 1882. All the children were born in Cardiff. The 1881 census shows them living in Roath, Cardiff at 27 Oakfield Street. In addition to the four children, they had two servants including one nursemaid. There was no occupation shown for Samuel. We know from the Bristol Mercury newspaper that the Peggs had moved to the Thornbury area by 1890 when ‘Captain Samuel Pegg’ was Constable of Kington. In 1892 Samuel was Constable of Oldbury.
The 1891 census shows the family living at Shipperdine near Thornbury. Samuel was described as ‘living on his own means’. They had one extra son, George F aged 8 who was also born in Cardiff. The newspaper notice reporting on the death of Charlotte’s father in 1895 shows that Samuel and Charlotte were then living at Shepperdine House.
According to the Bristol Mercury of December 5th 1896 ‘the hunt met at Morton Maypole the residence of Captain Samuel Pegg who with his accustomed liberality provided the hunt with a champagne luncheon’. The 1901 census shows Samuel was a retired Captain. Although the 1901 census has a notation indicating that Samuel was connected with the Army, the marriage record of his daughter, Edith, (when she married William Levi Cornock on 20th January 1897) shows Samuel was a Master Mariner. In the 1901 census Samuel and Charlotte were living ay Morton Maypole. Only their son, William S was at home and he was described as a farmer aged 21.
Samuel died on 13th June 1902 aged 55. He was buried in Thornbury Cemetery and his grave was topped by a very distinctive stone with a funnel and an anchor at Kington. Click here to see an image of the grave
Charlotte appears to have returned to Cardiff where she died in 1913 aged 60. William Sylvester took over The Swan Hotel in the High Street in 1906. Click here to read more
Newspaper reports in 1901 show that Samuel’s son, John Langfield (who became known as ‘Jack’) served in the 1st Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry. He was reported as to being given a hearty welcome home when he returned from the Boer War in South Africa. ‘A large concourse of people assembled, and the hero of the hour was escorted to his father’s house, the Alveston Band playing’. In September 1911 John Langfield, was listed in the London Gazette as being bankrupt. The report says he was a retired farmer ‘of no fixed abode, but having resided as a lodger at the Alexandra Hotel, Queen Street, Cardiff for the last five months, late Woodford House Farm, Wells, Somerset’. Meg Wise of Thornbury Museum found that Private John Langfield Pegg is listed in the Aukland War Memorial records. He appears to have served with the Otago Mounted Rifles, New Zealand Expeditionary Force, embarking on 14th February 1915 sailing to Suez. When he enlisted Jack was a farmer living at 149 Upper Willis Street, Wellington, NZ. His next of kin included his brother W. S. Pegg of the Swan Hotel, Thornbury.
In the 1890 Rate Book, the house was vacant. In 1894 it was let to Sidney Wakefield. We don’t know the connection, if any, between Sidney and Samuel Pegg, but we note Sidney took over The Swan from Samuel’s son in 1918. In 1899 Arthur Cripps was the tenant of 32 High Street. By 1901 Arthur Cripps had taken over as licensee at The Plough in St Mary Street. Click here to read more about Arthur
Arthur Price Loveridge – the 1901 census shows that Arthur was living at the property. He was a fishmonger and fruiterer aged 23 who was born in Tibberton. He was living with his widowed mother, Harriett aged 59 from Garway, Herefordshire and his sister, Annie M aged 22.
Arthur was born at Pooles Farm, Tibberton in Gloucestershire on 21st July 1877. He was the son of John Loveridge, a farmer and his wife, Harriett (nee Price). In 1904 Arthur married Margaret Alice Brown in Gloucester. They had a daughter Kathleen Margaret who was baptised in Thornbury on 7th January 1906. In 1906 Arthur left for Canada sailing from Liverpool to Quebec aboard the SS Tunisian. His destination was Aylesbury in Saskatchewan where he took up homesteading, five miles south of Aylesbury. He left on his own, but Margaret and the baby must have gone there later. They had a son, John Reginald (known as ‘Jock’) born in Regina in 1910.
In 1915 Arthur wrote a letter to the South Gloucestershire Chronicle which was printed on 9th April 1915. We saw this article in the Collingdale newspaper archive in London but we were not allowed to photograph it. He referred to the fact that he was an old Thornbury resident.
The photo of Arthur on the right and the one of Harriett, Margaret Alice and baby Kathleen below are taken from a family tree on Ancestry website where other photos of the family are available.
On 31st May 1916 Arthur enlisted in the 77th Battery of Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force and served for three years in France as a Gunner in the 15th Battery C. F. A. After the Armistice, he spent some time in Germany with the army of occupation before returning to resume farming near his homestead. He returned to Bristol in 1925 to visit his brother, Reginald, in Clifton, and he returned later that year to Aylesbury. In 1939 he retired from farming and moved to live in Aylesbury.
As an Anglican, he served as Vicar’s warden and on the school board and was always interested in community affairs. He was Chairman of the Civil Security Recruiting Corps and President of the Craik branch of the Canadian Legion up to the time of his death. He died on 30th March 1945 in Aylesbury. A notice of his death appeared in the Western Daily Press on 7th April 1945. Margaret died in Victoria, British Columbia in 1966 aged 82.
Thomas Exell – by 1905 Thomas had become the owner of the property. Thomas was the son of George Henry Exell and his wife, Eliza. He married Maria Vickerstaff in London in 1883, but settled in Thornbury where Thomas ran a grocer and corn dealer shop in the High Street and he acquired several other properties in the Town. He was still listed as the owner of 32 High Street in the 1926 Rate Book. He died on 14th January 1930. In his Will his estate was left to his two daughters, Lilian Mary, the wife of Reginald David Edwards, a brewers surveyor living in Mangotsfield and Bertha Annie, the wife of Wilfred Percy Winter, a bank clerk living in Tyndalls Park, Bristol. Trustees of the estate of Thomas Exell were shown as the owners of this and other of Thomas Exell’s properties until at least the 1950s. Read more about Thomas Exell and his family
The Browns – the Browns had run a printing and stationery business from their home at 34 High Street since about 1870. Edward Brown was also responsible for setting up and publishing the South Gloucestershire Chronicle from 1899. The Town Trust records have no entries for the Browns living at 34 High Street after 1916 which may suggest that they then moved and the Food Control Committee were known to have taken over at 34 High Street in 1917. The 1925 Valuation List and 1926 Rate Book show Edward’s mother, Jane Frances and his sister, Mary moved next door to 32 High Street so they may have moved there as early as 1916. The Chronicle dated 20th April 1917 reported on a Parish Meeting in which the Town Trust were criticised for mis-managing their property with specific reference to the fact that their property previously used as a printer’s office and known as ‘The Chronicle Office’ had been untenanted for two years.
The Browns continued in business. The 1923 and 1931 Kelly’s directories show ‘J. Brown as a printer and stationer’ in the High Street. In 1926 the Misses Brown were advertising as Stationers and Newsagents in the High Street. Jane Frances Brown died on 21st March 1929 aged 81. Her sister, Mary, carried on trading as a stationer at 32 High Street until she died on 8th December 1942 aged 89. One local has described the Browns shop as a ‘dark Dickensian shop’. Click here to read more about the Browns
Marcus Mogg – the electoral registers from 1954 onward show Marcus was living at 32 High Street. Marcus ran a newsagent and toy and cycle shop there for many years.
Marcus Vernon Mogg was born in Bristol in 1917. His parents were Francis Willey S Mogg and his wife, Violet Aileen Butland Head who were married in Nottingham in 1900, but they had moved to Fishponds, Bristol by the 1901 census (although Francis was away from home at the time, possibly fighting in South Africa).
In his younger days Marcus became well known in Bristol as a feather weight and lightweight boxer fighting under the name of ‘Kid Mogg’. He was recognised as one of the leading boxers in the West Country at his weight.
In 1935 Marcus’s mother married Oliver J Garrett in Bristol. The family moved to Thornbury and Oliver died there in 1941. In 1940 Marcus joined the RAF and served as a wireless operator and air gunner taking part in a number of operational raids including one raid on Berlin. He was invalided out of the RAF after spending 10 months in hospital. We have been told that in later life he still suffered pain from a metal plate which had been put into his skull. Marcus’s mother was a councillor of Sodbury District Council and she was living at Stevelands in the Gloucester Road. The 1946 electoral register shows Marcus was living there with his mother and his brother, Ernest Willey Mogg. We understand from a newspaper article written in 1978 when Marcus closed his shop that Marcus started out by mending bicycles in his mother’s garden. Eventually she got fed up of this and acquired the premises in the High Street for her son. The shop opened in 1945 and Marcus initially sold just bicycles and toys, but in the early 1960s he extended his range to become a newsagent. The image show at the top of this page shows the shop when it was ‘Moggs’. We have been told by Lorraine Shergold that Marcus had a Robin Reliant car. Apparently in the winter when the snow was too deep for the paper boy to deliver newspapers from Moggs to the rural areas Marcus and Lorraine set out in the Reliant and managed to get the papers delivered. They must have been an intrepid pair to tackle the snowy lanes and hills in a little three wheeled car.
It appears from the marriage records that Marcus married three times. His first wife was Irene M Collings whom he married in Liskeard in 1943. On 28th May 1949 the Western Daily Press reported that Marcus and Irene were divorced on the grounds of her desertion. In the 1950 electoral register Marcus was listed as still living with his mother in Stevelands. In 1951 he married Ena J Needs in Bournemouth. The 1954 electoral register shows Marcus and Ena living at 32 High Street. Again we don’t know what happened to Ena. Marcus’s third and final marriage was to Laura Winifred Williamson in Bristol in 1957.
As well as running the toy shop Marcus (or ‘Moggy’ as he was affectionately known in Thornbury) was also involved in leading the Thornbury Troop of Wolf Cubs.
We are not sure how long they traded in the shop at 32 High Street. They were listed as being there in the 1957 programme for the Thornbury Flower Show where they advertised as selling china, glassware, toys and fancy goods and it mentioned that they had two branches in Bristol. A shop selling toys and cycles was advertised in the High Street in the 1951 programme for the Thornbury Flower Show and it is possible that this was the same shop. We don’t know for sure and it may be that Marcus was running it at that time or that he took it over from someone else.
Marcus was there in 1965 electoral register and he was listed there in the 1967 programme for the Thornbury Flower Show. We have a photo of the shop in 1970 still called ‘Mogg’. It finally closed in 1978 because Marcus was fed up with the higher rates he had to pay and the work involved in completing all the VAT forms. The newspaper article covering the shop’s closure recalled the time a few Christmas’s previously when someone had broken into the shop and stolen the money left in the till. The person had gone upstairs and set fire to a table destroying all the Christmas Club parcels and causing several thousands pounds worth of damage. Marcus managed to pull things together and with the help of other local tradesmen offering discounts he managed to ensure that none of the children were disappointed and got the business back on its feet. Marcus obviously put a lot of work into Christmas because Patrick Hawkins tells us that ‘at Christmas he would stand outside the shop in a Father Christmas outfit and play carols from a record player’,
We know from a little account written about the Moggs in the Parish Magazine in 1981 that said:
“Marcus and Winnie Mogg have a toy shop parked in Thornbury for it is a van and travels around the country agricultural shows, from Ayr in Scotland to Havorfordwest in far west Wales and all stops in between. It was 15 years ago that Mr Mogg got ‘a bit restless’ to quote Winnie – in the toy and newspaper shop they had run for many years at 32 High Street. ‘I had a great partner in my wife, and two splendid women staff, so I felt I needed a change from women for a few hours’ he says, adding ‘As it turned out, a travelling shop took me away for days, and of course Winnie became full time partner in the enterprise which replaced the High Street shop. Together they have travelled between the great shows – Bath & West, Yorkshire, Eastern Counties, Scottish and other shows, Badminton, Three Counties at Malvern, Carmarthen, Haverfordwest, Monmouth, Peterborough, Bakewell and the great Royal Show to name only some.
Mrs Mogg is ‘retiring’ from the travel and her husband is working out a new method of travelling and setting up which he can cope with on his own. But even when he eases off they both say they will get the itch to visit their showground pals now and then. Winters are spent on ‘office business’ like accounts and booking pitches round next years shows. By Christmas they have often laid out £1000 to book sites and if the don’t turn up on the day, no cash back. Only once have they failed a date.”
The 1978 newspaper article referred to above said that the Moggs continued to live at Severn Drive and be active members of the local Conservative Club and British Legion.
Marcus died in May 1989. We were contacted by a descendent of Winnie in March 2013 who told us that then in her 99th year “Winnie,” as she is always known, was living in Frenchay.
A programme for the Thornbury Amateur Operatic Society for 1978 shows that there is a new antique shop trading from 32 High Street. This was called ‘Great Western and Rockhampton Antiques.’
In more recent times the property an antique shop run by James Liddiard. When James moved his business to the buildings at the rear of the shop, the property was taken over by the Bristol and West Building Society who were already trading in 30 High Street. Since the demise of the Bristol and West, it was occupied briefly by the Halifax Building Society and then by Santander before being left vacant for a number of years. In 2019 it was opened as ‘Rosie & Rex’ selling gifts, toys, arts and crafts.