The area now occupied by The Old Coach House and Mallow House has at various times been attached to 40 High Street. Click here to read about 40 High Street
On 3rd July 1716 Thomas Allway who was then living at 40 High Street bought the stable and slaughterhouse from John Hewett junior, a butcher and his wife, Hester. We assume that this refers to the land behind 40 High Street because in the indenture it was described as being ‘adjoining to a house late of William Green and now of the said Thomas Allway on or near the south side thereof and to a common footway leading from Thornbury to Elberton and lately purchased by the said John Hewett amongst other things to him and his heirs of Phillip Mansell jnr of Thornbury victualler’.
A document dated 12th September 1775 shows that George Rolph paid £5 5s to Ann Caddy to acquire part of her garden (18ft at its widest point at the bottom and 66 ft in length). Please click on the image on the left for details. He took down the wall between the garden at the rear of 38 High Street and the new piece of garden.
On 6th July 1776 George acquired a further plot of land from William Osborne’s Barton. This land was described as being rocky and of little value and was offered by William Osborne to George Rolph in consideration of the acquaintance and friendship which have long subsisted between them’. George was required to build a new pigsty for William for one that was on the land he had given to George. George demolished the old wall which had divided his garden from the Barton but had to build a new wall to separate the his new garden boundary from William’s land. The plans showed that George intended building a stable etc on his new land adjoining the footpath to Kington. Please click on the image on the right for details.
Note – both indentures of 1775 and 1776 show that William Osborne had a barn adjoining the lane at the top of his barton which was used by his sister, Martha Cullimore. He also owned the continuous wall from the end of the barn to George Rolph’s property (later 40 High Street). There was no outlet from George’s property on to the footpath to Kington.
At some stage between 1776 and 1910 William Osborne or his descendants (the Maclaine family) created a garden alongside the barn which became used as a stable. A new wall was then built to separate this garden from his barton. Note this new wall now has a plaque erected by the Council showing it inaccurately as the ‘Town’s Medieval Wall 13thC’. We believe the records show that it was built at least 500 hundred years later!
On 16th March 1910 Henry Privett paid £250 for the customary garden referred to above which had a stable erected upon it. The garden and stable were ‘appurtenant’ to The Close House and were sold by Flora Maclaine Jenner Fust, the sole executrix of William Osborne Maclaine who had owned The Close House.
On 16th December 1986 Barclay Richardson sold the land at the rear of 4 The Close together with the outbuildings to Dalebourne Investment Ltd for £50,000. They converted the outbuildings there into two new residential units, now called The Old Coach House and Mallow House (which was created from the old stables).