News

News 2016-10-25T14:24:46+00:00

Thornbury Grammar School

The responsibility for website first created by Mick Munns to hold photographs and memorabilia has now been transferred to Thornbury Museum.  We have  updated the site to provide a more modern look and sorted out all the photos into categories, rather than leaving a large collection of unsorted images.

We have already included some extra historical information about the school and profiles of the headmasters and a few others and we will be adding more.  We are providing an option for searching through the photo collection to find any named individual,  Unfortunately we cannot provide a search facility to find anyone named in the Thornburian Magazines which are held in PDF format.  Click here to see the website

March 27th, 2017|

The Roberts House

We’ve added another house to Gillingstool.  It never had a house name or number, so we’ve called it ‘The Roberts House‘ after the name of the family who lived there for about 30 years in the 1900’s.

February 21st, 2017|

Charity Hogg

We have added another criminal to our website! Charity Hogg was wrongly convicted of theft and sentenced to be transported.  The people of Thornbury raised a petition for clemency which proved successful and her sentence was reduced to two year’s imprisonment.  Charity left Thornbury but she was later convicted of receiving stolen goods and transported.  Click here to read more

December 17th, 2016|

The Black Horse

We have just uploaded a page on the history of The Black Horse in Gillingstool with a second page about the various Licensees of the pub.

We are currently trying to research the old cottages along Gillingstool including those that were demolished when the road was widened in the late 1960’s.  We’d love to hear from anyone with knowledge of these cottages.

September 24th, 2016|

The Baths

We are grateful to a member of the Pearce family who contacted us recently about his family’s long association with The Baths.  As a result of this we  have now added some pages about The Baths in Thornbury that gave its name to Bath Road.   This was an open public baths that had been in Thornbury since at least 1840 until it was closed due to concerns about hygiene.  We have also added an album of photographs of the Pearce family to our  gallery.

August 15th, 2016|

The Hollow

We have recently been looking at the history of a property  just outside Thornbury in Kington Road now called The Hollow.  It is a fascinating property that was once the home of a tallow chandler, then an ale and cider house, then a laundry before it finally returned to being  a private home.  This led us to producing separate pages on members of the Maishment and Thurston families who lived in the property.

We have realised that we have a great many research material relate to other properties outside of our self imposed limit of the old town of Thornbury.  We have decided to continue to add some of this to our website in the form of additional pages. We have called this section Outside Thornbury and we will gradually add to it from time to time

July 5th, 2016|