We’ve now added a few more houses in Gillingstool.
We are currently trying to research the old cottages along Gillingstool including those that were demolished when the road was widened in the late 1960’s. We’d love to hear from anyone with knowledge of these cottages.
We are grateful to a member of the Pearce family who contacted us recently about his family’s long association with The Baths. As a result of this we have now added some pages about The Baths in Thornbury that gave its name to Bath Road. This was an open public baths that had been in Thornbury since at least 1840 until it was closed due to concerns about hygiene. We have also added an album of photographs of the Pearce family to our gallery.
We have recently been looking at the history of a property just outside Thornbury in Kington Road now called The Hollow. It is a fascinating property that was once the home of a tallow chandler, then an ale and cider house, then a laundry before it finally returned to being a private home. This led us to producing separate pages on members of the Maishment and Thurston families who lived in the property.
We have realised that we have a great many research material relate to other properties outside of our self imposed limit of the old town of Thornbury. We have decided to continue to add some of this to our website in the form of additional pages. We have called this section Outside Thornbury and we will gradually add to it from time to time
The special register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the War has enabled us to confirm where families were living at that time. It also provided us with individual’s birth date and occupation if they had one. We have now updated our family and house pages to reflect the information shown in the register if it was significantly different to what we already knew.
We were thrilled to receive from Andrew Niblett a lot of information about the Davis family, the builders who constructed six of the houses opposite the Grammar School in Gloucester Road. He also sent us a wonderful collection of photographs of the Davis and Niblett families. This has prompted us to add pages to the website covering all ten houses, nos 13 – 31 Gloucester Road and photo galleries for the Davis family and the Niblett family.
We have just added two pages on the history of Hawkes House, formerly the Barrel. One page covers the history of the building, the other provides information on several of the people who were licensees there. The pages can be accessed from the side menus on the Silver Street and St Mary Street (North) pages.