The photograph above shows part of Pullins Green in Thornbury. This is part of the terrace of six small cottages shown in the photograph on the right each with one window upstairs and one downstairs. Each cottage has a front door under a porch shared by the neighbouring cottage. It is difficult to see number 10 Pullins Green in the second photograph but its two windows (one upstairs and one down) are those second from the left in this photograph and the second gateway leads to the front door under the shared porch.
We had heard that the six cottages were built in the early 19th century for quarry workers, but we have not yet found any evidence to support this theory. They were built by Daniel Burchell on land he had bought in 1823. The land was part of a burgage plot bordered by St Mary Street, Horseshoe Lane and Pullins Green. Click here to read about the early history of that land
The Burchells – the cottages were listed in the 1840 Tithe Survey when they were owned by Daniel Burchell, a carpenter who was then living in St Mary Street. The cottages were owned by the Burchell family for a long time. Daniel Burchell died on 16th September 1866 and after a period when they were administered by his Trustees, Jane Burchell, one of Daniel’s children, exercised her right given to the children in his will and bought the six houses from the Trustees for £565. Jane died on 9th January 1903 aged 78 and her will directed that the properties be passed to her brother, Frederick Burchell. Frederick died in 1905 and the houses were put up for auction in 1907. On 9th January 1908 Frederick’s son, Frederick Henry Burchell, bought the six properties, paying £730 for the six properties. We know that in 1909/10 rents of about three shillings per week (£8 per year) were being paid to Frederick Henry Burchell. In 1918 the houses were put up for sale at auction as three separate lots of two houses. Click here to read more
We know that two of the lots (i.e. the four houses later known as 6 – 12 Pullins Green) were bought by Charley Davies for £437 10s on 29th October 1918. Read more about Charley Davis
Although the Tithe Survey lists the occupiers of the six houses in 1840, it does not make it clear who is living in each house. The six people were: John Screen, Charles Owen Pearce (a cordwainer), Mary Jackson, Mary Langobeare, Mary Olive and John Birt. In many cases like this, we can link people to houses by using the 1841 census. However in this case it is difficult to link the names in the census to any of these houses and none of the people listed in this census (or the 1851 census) are the same as those listed in the Tithe Survey.
We have gathered some information about the other families who lived in this house.
William Slain – the census of 1851 appears to show that William Slain lived at the house that became number 10 Pullins Green. William was aged 49 and a master wheelwright. His wife Thirza was aged 48 and from Latteridge. In this census they had an unmarried daughter called Louisa Jane aged 23 year and a grandson Charles Slain aged one year living with them. They also had a visitor staying with them, Mary Ann Selman, a cook. Read more about William Slain
Samuel Crew and Eliza Payne – it is difficult to interpret the 1861 census as it appears to show that were two separate households in this property: Samuel Crew and his wife Elizabeth and a shopkeeper called Eliza Payne. The house may have been occupied by one or both as it possible that Samuel Crew and his wife were lodgers here when they first came to Thornbury. Read more about Samuel and Elizabeth Crew. Eliza Payne later moved to 13 St John Street. Click here to read more about Eliza
Thomas and Ann Underhill – occupied the house for many years from the 1871 census through to their deaths in 1911 and 1920 respectively. Click here to read more
Nellie Burgess – Nellie is shown in the 1930 electoral register. We have found that Nellie was the daughter of Alfred Gill. According to Council School records, she was born on 14th December 1896 and she left school in 1910 to become an apprentice. On the 18th August 1921 she married Hugh Cecil Burgess a Petty Officer First class in the Royal Navy aged 27 from Market Lavington in Wiltshire. Known as Cecil he was the son of Alfred Burgess, a photographer, who had already died before the time of Cecil’s marriage having served in the Royal Navy during the First World War.
The baptism records of St Mary’s Church show that Grace Edna Joan Burgess who was baptised on 24 July 1924 was the daughter of Hugh Cecil and Nellie Burgess of Pullins Green. Cecil was then described as a joiner. The records of the Council School show that Charles Edward Henry Burgess started at the Infants School in 1926 – he was the son of Hugh Cecil and Nellie of ‘John Street’. His sister, Grace, was to join him there in 1928. The school records show that these two children left school for periods, in 1927 to go to Gosport after which they returned in 1928, and then again in 1930 to Devonport and 1931 to Southsea. Interestingly, the Prewett’s Street Directory shows a ‘S. Burgess’ living in the area in 1927. We don’t know who this is.
We understand that the family moved to Portsmouth. The name doesn’t appear in the 1935 Thornbury electoral register. Following Cecil’s death they stayed there until Nellie moved back to Gloucestershire to be near her younger sister, Connie. Nellie died in 1966.
The Clutterbucks – the next family shown as living there is that of Norman Shaftsbury and Gwendoline Clutterbuck. They were in the house from 1935 to the 1970’s. Click here to read more
By the 1960s, the six houses had fallen into disrepair and lacked modern amenities. They were at one stage condemned by the Council. They were however saved when the Council chose to renovate and modernise them as part of the town centre development which took place in the 70’s. On 4th January 1974 Charley Davis sold the four properties he owned to Thornbury Rural District Council for £6500. Since that time, we know that in 1986 and 1988 the house was the home of Hilarie ‘Madge’ Horder.