Number 11 Pullins Green in Thornbury sits overlooking the ‘Green’ facing south. It has had an interesting history being used as a cooperage, a police station and a private house. Since about 1890 it has been a shop, initially selling fish and fresh fruit, then as a sweet shop, and more recently as a fish and chip shop and ‘Chinese take-away’.
The deeds show that the house and the neighbouring one (number 13) were built as two substantial houses in the early 1820’s on the site of two earlier tenements owned by Joseph Ford, a carpenter. Joseph’s property also included the site of the cottage later known as 1 Crispin Lane. Initially this was a stable at the end of the garden of the two tenements. Later it was converted into a blacksmith’s shop and then replaced by a cottage, separated from the tenements by a stone wall. Joseph passed the properties to James Ford, whom we assume to be his son, and 11 and 13 Pullins Green were then passed to Charles Ford whom we assume to be to be James’s son. Click here to read about the early history of the property
An indenture of 31st July 1831 shows that the Fords sold 11 and 13 Pullins Green to Thomas Crossman, a solicitor. The house that later became 11 Pullins Green was described as a “messuage or tenement with the cooperage and outlet to the same adjoining and belonging also situate at the corner of Mutton Lane in the occupation of Joseph Amos cooper.”
The house continued to be owned by Thomas Crossman who let it out to tenants. When Thomas died in 1873, his son, George Danvers Crossman sold the property to Henry William John Carter and George Mansell Williams, two accountants who had decided to go into the property business as partners. This partnership was broken up in 1883 with George Mansell Williams becoming sole owner of 11 Pullins Green.
The 1926 Rate Book shows the house was owned by the Representatives of George Mansell Williams following his death in 1922. In April 1936 the property was put up for sale at auction. It was described as a ‘freehold shop and dwelling house in the occupation of Mr. A. C. Lewis and comprising: entrance hall, front sitting room, shop, kitchen, pantry, scullery with boiler on first floor. Two front bedrooms, back bedroom and box room on the first floor. Capital underground cellar. Garden at the rear approached from Blakes Avenue.’
Arthur Conway Lewis – we assume that Arthur purchased the property which he was already occupying as tenant at the auction of April 1937. He owned it up to 1948. He may have traded initially as a draper, but for the most of the time there he was known as a grocer and sweet shop. Click here to read about the Lewis family