The photograph above shows part of Pullins Green in Thornbury, including 12 Pullins Green. This is part of the terrace of six small cottages shown in the photograph on the right on the right, each with one window upstairs and one downstairs. They each have a front door under a porch shared by the neighbouring cottage. Number 12 Pullins Green in this photograph also has two windows (one upstairs and one down). They are the first two windows on the left in this photograph and the first gateway leads to the front door under the shared porch.
We had heard that the six cottages were built in the early 19th century for quarry workers, but we have not yet found any evidence to support this theory. They were built by Daniel Burchell on land he had bought in 1823. The land was part of a burgage plot bordered by St Mary Street, Horseshoe Lane and Pullins Green. Click here to read about the early history of that land
The Burchells – the cottages were listed in the 1840 Tithe Survey when they were owned by Daniel Burchell, a carpenter who was then living in St Mary Street. The cottages were owned by the Burchell family for a long time. Daniel Burchell died on 16th September 1866 and after a period when they were administered by his Trustees, Jane Burchell, one of Daniel’s children, exercised her right given to the children in his will and bought the six houses from the Trustees for £565. Jane died on 9th January 1903 aged 78 and her will directed that the properties be passed to her brother, Frederick Burchell. Frederick died in 1905 and the houses were put up for auction in 1907. On 9th January 1908 Frederick’s son, Frederick Henry Burchell, bought the six properties, paying £730 for the six properties. We know that in 1909/10 rents of about three shillings per week (£8 per year) were being paid to Frederick Henry Burchell. In 1918 the houses were put up for sale at auction as three separate lots of two houses. Click here to read more
We know that two of the lots put up for sale (i.e. the four houses later known as 6 – 12 Pullins Green) were bought by Charley Davies for £437 10s on 29th October 1918. Read more about Charley Davis
We have gathered some information about the other families who lived in this house.
In the 1851 census the house was occupied by John Thatcher, a journeyman cordwainer aged 32 from Minehead and his wife, Hester, a dressmaker aged 27 from Thornbury. John was the son of James Thatcher.
John had married Hester Britt at St Augustine’s in Bristol on 13th October 1845. Hester was baptised on 6 June 1824, the daughter of William Britt, a labourer and his wife Ann (nee Trayhurn) who were living at Grovesend. In 1841 Hester was a dressmaker aged 15 living with Elizabeth Hooper another dressmaker aged 30 in 46 High Street.
In 1851 John and Hester had two children: William (born in the December quarter of 1846) aged four and Jane (born December quarter 1850) aged four months. Living with them was Hester’s widowed mother Ann Britt, a pauper (formerly a tailoress) aged 54 born in Thornbury and Hester’s brother, Thomas Britt, a tailor aged 21, and John’s unmarried uncle, Joseph Trayhurn aged 51 years.
John and Hester’s son William was baptised at the age of 13 on 7th September 1859. In 1861 they were all still living at 12 Pullins Green, except Joseph Trayhurn. Their son, William, had become a pupil teacher aged 14. They had two extra children: Thomas Charles (born March quarter of 1852) aged 10 and Mary (born March quarter 1856) aged five.
They had another son Henry John Thatcher (born June quarter 1862) baptised on 22nd March 1862. Their daughter Jane was baptised at the age of 13 on 19th February 1865. By 1871 all the children had left home, apart from Henry aged nine. They now seem to be sharing the house with another household, that of William Reed, a railway labourer aged 45 from Langport in Somerset, and his wife, Thomazinge aged 39 from Brushford in Devon. They had three children: Mary Jane aged 14, Emma J aged nine and Charles aged seven.
The 1876 Rate Book shows John still living in 12 Pullins Green. Hester died and was buried on 17 May 1879 aged 55 years. By the 1881 census John was living at 7 St John Street. He was described as a widowed cordwainer aged 62 from Minehead. His unmarried daughter, Mary, a domestic aged 26 from Thornbury was living with him.
Of their children:
- William Thatcher became a teacher. We believe that he married Fanny Alexander in 1868 in the Bradford district of Wiltshire. The 1871 census shows that he was married to Fanny who was from Wiltshire and living in Lidiard Tregoze in Wiltshire.
- Jane Thatcher may have become a servant. She could be the Jane Thatcher living with the Gaskin household in Lambeth in 1871.
- Thomas Thatcher became a labourer in a slate yard. In the 1871 census he was living in Bristol in Pump Court with Mr & Mrs White. By 1881 he had become a warehouseman and was living with a cousin in Bedminster.
- Mary Thatcher – the 1871 census shows that she was a servant at a school in Clifton House in Clifton Bristol. It seems that Mary returned to Thornbury to look after her father. We have been unable to trace the reason why but Jane Driscoll left the rents from her property in trust to her husband and then in trust to Mary Thatcher. Click here to read more
- Henry John Thatcher – he may have become a railway porter. The 1891 census appears to show that he was living in Manchester with a wife Elizabeth and a baby daughter, Mary.
The Luces – the 1876 Rate Book and 1881 census show the house was occupied by John Luce, a butcher aged 75, and his wife Ellen aged 65, both from Thornbury and their unmarried son, John, a blacksmith aged 38. Click here to read more
William Hampton – an indenture dated 2nd June 1883 shows that William was occupying the house. Although Hampton was a name used in Thornbury in the 1700s we have no trace of such a person in 1883. We would like to hear more about him.
John Burchell – the 1885 Rate Book shows that the house was occupied by John Burchell. Click here to read more
The Ricketts – the 1890 Rate Book and the 1891 census show the house was occupied by James Ricketts, a gardener aged 33 from Iron Acton and his wife, Fanny Matilda aged 34 from Uley. They had one son, Reginald James aged 1 born in Thornbury. Fanny Matilda died in March 1892 aged 35, and by the 1901 census, James had taken his son back to Iron Acton and was living with his father, Mark Ricketts, an 85 year old widow from Westerleigh.
James was working as a quarryman. James must have moved back to Iron Acton soon after his wife’s death. There was a newspaper article in the Bristol Mercury on 21st January 1898. James Ricketss was charged with using abusive language to passers by in Iron Acton. A complaint had been made that James was drunk in the Lamb Inn at Iron Acton and when the policeman went to investigate James began to swear at a relative. Presumably he suspected this relative of telling the police.
By 1911 James was living alone in Chaingate Lane Iron Acton.
Herbert Sherborne – the 1894 Rate Book shows that Herbert was occupying the house. Click here to read more
The Salmons – Richard and Caroline Salmon lived in the house in 1901 census and after up to 1909. Read more about the Salmon family
Robert Mills – the 1910 Rate Book shows Robert was occupying the house. The 1911 census shows Robert was a painter (house decorator) aged 33 and he was living there with his wife, Phyllis, aged 33 and sons, Arthur aged 5 and Ivor aged 1. They only lived at Pullins Green for a few years. By 1918 they had moved to 28 Castle Street. Read more about the Mills family
The Thornes and the Longs – Daisy Thorne occupied the house following the First World War. When Daisy was widowed she married Alfred Edward Long and they carried on living in the house for the next 35 years. Click here to read more
The Livalls – Edward Alfred John Livall rented the property from Charley Davis on 1st November 1962. His address previously had been Hillcrest, Tytherington. Edward and his wife, Beatrice A, were shown as living in the house in 1965 electoral register. In 1970, they appear with two daughters: Denise M and Jennifer K.
By the 1960s, the six houses had fallen into disrepair and lacked modern amenities. They were at one stage condemned by the Council. They were however saved when the Council chose to renovate and modernise them as part of the town centre development which took place in the 70’s. On 4th January 1974 Charley Davis sold the four properties he owned, including number 12 Pullins Green, to Thornbury Rural District Council for £6500. Since that time number 12 has been sold several times and occupied by several families including the Jefferies family.