Number 5 is a very unusual house. As the image shows, one bedroom of number 5 is above the front door of number 7. We have heard that the two houses may have been one house at some time in the past. Certainly the appearance of the two houses is very similar to the front profile of either number 11 or 13 Pullins Green. If it were true that the two houses were once combined then it would explain the strange arrangement of front doors and might indicate that the houses was built a lot earlier. We have not found any evidence to help clarify its early history.
We have not yet seen the deeds of the house so we do not know when the house was built. The earliest record we have found so far is the 1840 Tithe Survey. This shows that the property was owned by Thomas Crossman (who also owned numbers 9, 11 and 13 Pullins Green).
The Crossmans – Thomas Crossman owned the property from the time of the 1840 Tithe Survey (and probably earlier) up to his death in 1873. It was then inherited by his son, George Danvers Crossman. As far as we know no members of the family occupied the property during this period and it was let out to tenants. On 29th February 1894 the estate of the late George Danvers Crossman put up the house for sale at auction and it was purchased by William Wall for £230. We assume that William acquired it as an investment and he sold it to the tenant Alfred Burchell at some time before 1899. When the auction was held in 1894 the property was described as ‘a freehold house, garden, outbuildings and premises comprising 15 perches. In the back garden there was a reference to a large workshop (which we assume was the building used by John Champion as a school (see below).
John Champion – John ran a small private school on this property from before 1840 until the early 1870’s. Click here to read more about John Champion
Revd. George Rees – George moved to Thornbury to become the Minister of the Baptist Church. The 1876 rate book shows George was occupying this property at that time. By 1880 he he had moved to 19 Pullins Green which had been newly built. Read more
The Burchells – from about 1881 to 1905 Alfred Burchell, a carpenter occupied the house. The 1899 Rate Book shows it was then owned by Alfred Burchell who had been living in the house for many years as a tenant at £10 per annum. When Alfred died in 1905 the house passed to his daughter, Sarah Kiddle. The 1911 census shows that James and Sarah Kiddle were living in Somerville Road in St Andrews in Bristol. James then aged 62 was still employed as a chemist and druggist. The 1905 Rate Book shows that William Burchell was occupying the property which was owned by the ‘representatives of late Alfred Burchell’ which was presumably Sarah Kiddle. The 1907 Rate Book shows that William D Burchell was the owner and occupant of the house. The 1910 Rate Book shows number 5 Pullins Green was owned by John Burchell. Click here to read more
George Ernest Capewell – the 1910 Rate Book and the 1911 census shows George was living in the house. George was a tailor aged 30 born in Herefordshire and he was living there with his wife, Edith Maud aged 30 born in Bristol and their daughter, Doreen Winifred G born in Bristol in 1908. George married Edith Maud Wintle in St Mary Redcliffe in Bristol on 26th December 1905. He was also listed as living there in the 1913 electoral register. By 1923 they were living at The Hill in Almondsbury. George died at 11, Third Avenue in Filton, Bristol on 28th June 1949. Probate was granted to his daughter Doreen.
Sergeant James Vaughan – lived there in the 1920s. The 1926 Rate Book shows the house was then owned and occupied by James Vaughan. Click here to read more
Herbert Pullen – he lived in the house with his wife Jessie for about 40 years from about 1930. During their time there the Pullens called the house ‘Ivanhoe’. Click here to read more
David Horder – David was a member of the Prewett and Horder families who had run the business of printers and stationers at 22 High Street for over 100 years. We understand that he lived in Pullins Green for several years with his wife, Betty and son, Michael.
The current occupiers are Roger and Janet Clark.