On this page we have listed what we know about the various families who have lived in this property since the early 1800’s.
Daniel Burchell – the land tax records show that by 1819 Daniel had become the owner of the property and he was shown as occupying the property in the 1819 to 1824 lists. Click here to read about the Burchells
The land tax records from 1825 to 1832 show that Daniel Burchell let the property to John Morgan (1825/27), William Bendall (1828/30), James Williams (1831) and Robert Williams (1832).
At the time of the 1840 Tithe Survey the house was part of Plot 221 owned by Daniel Burchell (who lived at number 19) and occupied by William Clark.
The Clarks – the 1840 Tithe Survey lists William Clark as the occupant of the house. The 1841 census shows that the house was occupied by Hugh Clark, a shoemaker aged 55 living with Hannah aged 45, William aged 30 and Hannah aged 14. Hugh was baptised on 17th April 1782, the illegitimate son of Sarah Clark and grandson of William Clark, cordwainer (shoemaker) who died in 1800 aged 74. Click here to read about this family of cordwainers
Hugh died in 1844. The 1851 census shows his widow, Hannah was aged 63 from Thornbury living with her son, William a master cordwainer aged 41 and her daughter Hannah aged 23. In 1861 the Clarks had moved to the High Street where William was a cordwainer employing one man and a boy. Hannah is listed as a visitor aged 73.
Esther Tucker – the 1861 census shows the house was occupied by Hester Tucker, a widowed dressmaker aged 36 with her children Robert a porter aged 15, Elizabeth aged 14, Mary Ann aged 10, and John aged 9. Esther had been married to George Tucker, whose brother was living next door at number 21 St Mary Street. George had been a shoemaker and he married Esther Olive in 1845. They had four children: Robert Albert baptised on 29 th October 1845, Elizabeth Harriett Olive baptised on 11th July 1847, and Mary Ann born in June quarter 1850 and John born in June quarter 1852. George had died in 1852 aged about 43. Click here to read about the Tucker family
The 1871 census shows the house was shared by three families:
George Skelton – George was a blacksmith aged 38 from Lostwithiel in Cornwall living with Naomi aged 33 from Cadoxton in South Wales and children: Elizabeth aged 11 from New Passage in Devon, Mary Ada aged 9 from Lostwithiel.
Charles Hole, an excavator aged 26 from Dunster, Ann A aged 29 from Bath, and children: Maria aged 2 and Charles aged 8 months, both born in Bristol.
Amelia Parsons, a married washerwoman aged 56 from Brighton, her daughter Harriett a dressmaker aged 19 from Thornbury and grand-daughter Bertha aged 6 months. Amelia was born as Amelia Mabbott, the daughter of James Mabbott, a labourer. On 15th September 1839 Amelia married Henry Parsons, a widowed labourer and the son of James Parsons, ropemaker. Henry and Amelia lived at Milbury Heath where they had several children, all daughters. Emma was baptised on 5th April 1840, Ellen baptised on 13th December 1842 who died aged 2 and was buried on 21st May 1843, Matilda baptised on 13th December 1842 who died aged 15 and was buried on 18th October 1857, a second Ellen baptised on 3rd November 1844 who died aged 1 and was buried on 29th April 1845, Sarah baptised on 14th July 1846 who died aged 4 months and was buried on 9th September 1846 and Harriett who was born in Brighton about 1852.
Amelia’s daughter, Harriet had two illegitimate daughters: Bertha baptised on 27th November 1870 and Clara baptised on 15th August 1872. Clara died aged 2 months and was buried on 27th August 1872. Harriett married John Fisher in 1874 and had a son, John William Fisher baptised on 10th October 1875 when his father was already dead. Harriett re-married on 8th July 1878 – her new husband was James Smith, a widowed shoemaker and son of John Smith, a gardener.
Henry died aged 78 and was buried on 26th September 1876. The 1876 Rate Book and the 1881 census shows Amelia was a widow aged 71 born in Brighton living in one of the houses at the rear of the Exchange with her grandson John Fisher aged 5 born in Thornbury. Amelia died aged 76 and was buried on 2nd October 1882.
Daniel Liddiatt – the 1881 census shows the house occupied by Daniel, a widowed labourer aged 58 from Morton. Living with him were his children: Ellen aged 32 from Kington, Henry a labourer aged 25 (who we believe became known as ‘Sonny’ and is shown in the photo on the right), William a coachman aged 25 and his wife, Ellen aged 22 from Oldbury, Alfred, a labourer aged 16 from Thornbury and grandchildren: Charles aged 11 from Aust, William aged 6 from Thornbury, Phyllis aged 3 from Oldbury and Mary aged 1 from Thornbury.
Daniel was born about 1823, the son of William Liddiatt, a labourer. On 27th April 1846 Daniel married Diana Screen. Diana was baptised on 10th June 1821, the daughter of George Screen, a labourer of Rockhampton and his wife, Anne. Diane appears to also go by the name of ‘Hannah’ and this name is used in several census and some baptism records of her children, although Diana is used on some of the baptism records of her children and her own burial record. The 1851 census shows Daniel and ‘Hannah’ living at The Cross, Rockhampton with Mary Ann and Ellen (baptised on 1st April 1849).
By 1861 Daniel and ‘Hannah’ had moved to the accommodation above the offices of Richard Gwynn the solicitor at 37 High Street, Thornbury with Ellen, Charles, Henry and William. Daniel and Diana were still in the same house in 1871 with an extra child, Alfred and Charles had become an apprentice carpenter. Diana died aged 51 and was buried on 28th February 1873. Daniel died aged 66 and was buried on 24th December 1890.
Of their children:
Ellen – baptised on 1st April 1849. She had two sons before she married. Alfred Charles was baptised in Aust on 10th April 1870 and William Henry was baptised at Oldbury on 15th August 1878. The 1891 census shows Ellen living at 33 St Mary Street with her two sons and brother Alfred.
Ellen married Thomas Roberts in Monmouthshire in 1891. The 1901 census shows Ellen was a widow living in Lyne Road, Newport. Her son William was living with her and employed as a tinplate worker. They were still there in 1911 census when William was a sheet metal worker. William stayed in Newport and died there aged 81 in 1956.
Henry – he seems to have had some problems. On 2nd September 1872 at the age of 17 years he was convicted of being drunk and disorderly in Thornbury and sentenced to ten days imprisonment. He appears to have been quite a short young man as he was said to be five feet and three-quarters of an inch tall. He died aged 64 and was buried on 14th January 1919.
William – baptised on 3rd July 1859. In 1878 he married Ellen Bennett and they settled to live in 45 St Mary Street. Click here to read more about William and Ellen
Alfred – born on 7th December 1864 and baptised on 2nd April 1865. In 1891 he was a groom living with his sister Ellen. By 1911 he had become a gardener living in service with Samuel Stutchbery at The Firs, Alveston. In 1939 he was described as a retired farm labourer living in Yate Rocks. He died in Wallington Surrey aged 73 on 12th September 1943.
We discovered some distressing information about little Charles, the son of Daniel’s daughter, Ellen. In 1882 when he was still only 12, he was charged with stealing 6d, (six old pence), the money of Ann Barnfield on 24th February 1882. He was convicted on 6th March and sentenced to receive six strokes of the birch rod. However with two days of this conviction, he was charged with embezzling 3d (three old pence) from his employer, Maria Louisa Laver. He was convicted and sentenced to one months imprisonment with hard labour and twelve strokes of the birch rod. By 1891 Charles was a box maker living with his mother, Ellen in 33 St Mary Street and by 1901 he was married to Miriam (nee Ball) a dressmaker aged 31 from Crossways. They were living in Nicholas Lane off Nags Head Road, St George in Bristol with their four children and Miriam’s mother, Eleanor who was working as a shirt maker. He was working as an assurance agent. The 1911 census shows Charles an assistant superintendent for Prudential Company living in Barry Dock.
Mary Huish – the 1899 rate book, 1901 census and 1905 rate book all show that Mary was occupying the house and she was still there in 1907 when the house was put up for sale. In the 1901 census Mary was a widowed charwoman aged 58 from Rockhampton living with her son, Francis J. a stone quarryman aged 28 from Filton and two boarders: Anne Bevan aged 86 from Highbridge and Sarah Poole a single lady ‘living on her own means’ aged 86? from Bedminster. The 1911 census shows Mary had moved to live in 13 St John Street. She was listed as still living there in the 1915 and 1916 Prewett’s Directories.
Mary was baptised on 27th January 1843 the daughter of George Palmer, a gamekeeper and his wife Sarah (nee Barton). Mary married George Barton in the Bristol area in 1870. George was baptised on 3rd November 1844, the son of George and Eliza Barton. Presumably George and Mary were cousins. They may have been childhood sweethearts as the 1851 census shows them living next door to each in Hill. The 1871 census shows George and Mary living with his mother, a beerhouse keeper at The Plough in Filton. They had one son, Harry George Barton aged 1 month.
It appears that George died in the Clifton area in 1874 aged 30. Mary re-married in the Bristol area in 1877 – her second husband was John Henry Huish. In 1881 they were living in Filton, where John Henry aged 44 was employed as a farm labourer. They were living with their children: Harry G Barton, a stepson aged 10, Rose Maria aged 2 and Francis John aged 5 months. Henry died in Gloucester in 1884 aged 46. The 1891 census shows Mary had moved to 37 High Street, Thornbury to live with her widowed mother. Her children Rose Maria aged 12, Francis J aged 10 and Lily M aged 9 were living with them.
Mary died in Chew Magna on 6th October 1918 aged 75. She was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 10th October 1918. Francis John (known as Jack) had pre-deceased her dying on 8th July 1909 aged 28.
The 1910 rate book shows that the house was void.
Edwin Walker – the 1911 census shows the house was occupied by Edwin Walker, a coachman aged 42 from Marshfield. He was living with his wife, Alice aged 40 from Derbyshire and their children: Sarah H aged 15, Lucy E. A aged 14 and Olive M aged 12, all born in Cold Ashton.
Charles and Annie Stinchcombe – we have a copy of a Gazette newspaper article showing that Charles and Annie moved into the house in September 1912. The articles referring to a court case in September 1923 when the owner of the property, Minnie Eyles, was trying to eject the Stinchcombes, but the court refused the application. Another article dated 1st August 1925 shows that Minnie tried four times to evict Annie. She claimed that Annie was in arrears of rent by £4 6s 3d and that she had been guilty of annoying conduct and of using the premises in ‘an untenant-like manner’ with the result that the condition had deteriorated. Minnie said she wanted to make the property fit for human habitation. Local builder, P.G. Hawkins confirmed that the ceilings and walls were in a very bad state and the floor in the scullery was damaged. The court granted in favour of Minnie on this occasion and the Stinchcombes must have moved shortly after as the 1926 rate book show that Minnie Eyles was the owner and occupant of both 21 and 23 St Mary Street. Click here to read about the Stinchcombes
William and Minnie Eyles and Charles and Hilda King – the house was occupied by William and Minnie Eyles and by their daughter, Hilda and her husband Charles King for most of the 1900’s until the property was acquired by the Council for re-development in the late 60’s. Click here to read about the Eyles and King families