We apologise but we have no photographs of these two houses and would love to hear from anyone who does!
The earliest occupants of the house who we feel we can identify are William Trayhurn and William Allen.
William Trayhurn – is mentioned as living there as some time before the owner, John Williams, wrote his will in 1804. We suspect that William may have been a tailor, the son of William Trayhurn and his wife Hester (nee Burrows).
William Allen – was living in the house in 1804 when John Williams wrote his will. We suspect that William Allen was the same person who married Mary Penduck, the daughter of Thomas Penduck.
In the 1840 Tithe Survey, the house was described as a cottage and garden owned by Mary Wilkes and occupied by James Cossham.
James Cossham – in the 1841 census James Cossham was described as an agricultural labourer aged 60 living with his wife, Hannah, aged 60 and Sarah Cossham aged 8 and Thomas Taylor aged 2.
We don’t know much about James, but it seems that he wasn’t closely connected to the landowning Cosshams of Thornbury. We have a record of a birth of daughter, Sarah, baptised on 5th June 1814 whose parents were James Cossham a labourer from Morton and his wife, Hannah. Hannah died aged 64 and was buried on 29th October 1844. In 1851 James was a widower working as a road labourer aged 70. He was living on his own at an unidentified house in the Back Street (Rock Street). He died aged 84 and was buried on 24th February 1861.
In the 1851 census the house appears to have been undergoing some re-building work.
Thomas Ann – the 1861 census the house was occupied by Thomas Ann, a master mason employing 5 men and 2 boys. Thomas was a widower aged 54 and was born in Alveston. Living with Thomas was his daughter, Mary Ann aged 9 and a servant, Sarah Winstone aged 34 from Tytherington. Thomas had been married to Ann Wilkes, the daughter of Henry and Mary Wilkes. Ann had become owner of the property, along with other houses, following the death of her mother in 1849, but she died in 1856. Ann’s mother had specified in her will that the property would be left to Mary Ann when Ann died. Click here to read about Thomas and Ann
Charles and Hannah Mundy – the 1871 census shows the house was occupied by Charles Mundy. He was described as a grocer aged 28 from Berkeley. He was living with his wife, Hannah aged 24 from Barnstaple in North Devon, their daughters, Flora Jane was aged 3 and Mary Ann aged 1, both born in Thornbury, a general servant, Mary Ann Greenwood aged 14 from Newport in Gloucestershire and two lodgers.
Charles was born in Berkeley in May 1839, the son of Job Mundy and his wife, Mary Ann (nee Bodenham). In 1851 the family were living in Crossways where Job was working as an agricultural labourer. Charles became a seaman and on 12th May 1864 he obtained a certificate of competency as second mate by the Lords of the Committee of Privy Council for Trade.
On 7th October 1867 Charles married Hannah Kidwell at St Thomas Church, Bristol. At the time of the marriage Charles was described as a mariner and he and Hannah were living at 131 St Thomas Street, Bristol. Hannah was born on 22nd September 1843 in Fremington near Barnstaple in North Devon. She was the daughter of William Kidwell, a cordwainer. The 1871 census shows Charles and Hannah settled in Thornbury. They were living in St Mary Street where Charles was working as a grocer.
Charles and Hannah had a large family, mostly girls. Flora Jane was born in 1868, Mary Ann born in 1870, but both girls were not baptised until 2nd April 1882 on the same day as two of their sisters, Elizabeth and Blanche. Another daughter, also named Blanche, had been baptised on 3rd December 1876 but she had died aged 2 and was buried on 29th November 1877. Kate Matilda was born on 29th June 1877 and baptised on 25th February 1878.
In the 1881 census Charles was still living in the house. He was described as a haulier and grocer aged 42. We understand that it was Charles who was the haulier, mostly connected with the railway station and the coal company in Thornbury. Their children were: Florence aged 12, Mary Ann aged 10, Elizabeth aged 8, Kate aged 4 and Blanch aged 1.
Another daughter, Dolly, was born in 1881 and baptised on 28th February 1882. She died aged only seven months and was buried on 4th March 1882. Harriett was born in 1883 and baptised on 25th July 1883. She died aged only six months and was buried on 30th July 1883. Charles born in 1886 and Austin born on 18th March 1888. In the 1891 census the house was shown to have three rooms. Charles was now working as a railway haulier. He and Hannah were living with: Flora aged 22, Blanch aged 10, Charles aged 6 and Austin aged 3. Blanch died aged 18 and was buried on 29th March 1898.
The 1901 census shows Charles and Hannah still living in the same house, now just with Charles, a groom aged 17 and Austin aged 13.
On 1st June 1907 the Gazette reported that Charles had been involved in an accident whilst making his weekly calls. His horse had took fright of a motor bus at the top of the High Street and bolted. Charles was knocked down and sustained a fracture of two ribs and otherwise severely cut and shaken.
As far as we know Charles and Hannah were to continue living in the house until their deaths. Hannah died 14th February 1911 aged 65. The 1911 census shows Charles as a railway carting agent aged 72. He was living in St Mary Street with his son, Charles, a groom aged 26 and his widowed daughter, Florence Dixon aged 43, and her son, Austin, an apprentice aged 16.
Charles died on 14th November 1912 aged 74. On 20th November 1912 the Western Daily Press reported on the funeral of Charles Mundy aged 74 who had been in the employ of the Midland Railway Company since the railway opened in in Thornbury in September 1872 as the goods delivery agent.
He and his wife were were both buried in Thornbury Cemetery. Gloucester Records Office has two documents relating to the valuation of Charles’s stock which was given to his son, Charles, following his death and the valuation of his household effects which were acquired by Mrs Dixon, Charles’s daughter, Florence). We haven’t yet seen these documents. It is interesting to read in the Gazette newspaper report of Charles’s funeral that floral wreaths were received from the ‘Railway Staff, Thornbury’, the Station master, Mr Cooper and his family, and from ‘Mrs Samuel Wilmot, The Chalet, Alveston who for over 40 years has always appreciated his ready wit’. Mrs Wilmott had been the owner of the house in which the Mundys had lived for over 40 years.
Of Charles and Hannah’s children:
Florence – we understand that Florence married Mark Dixon, although we haven’t been able to trace their marriage. Florence was left £100 in her father’s will. Click here to read more
Mary Ann – on 30th August 1890 Mary Ann married Charles John Woodward in Olveston. Charles was a baker from Bridgewater. In the 1891 census they were living at 15 Rock Street. Click here to read more
Kate Matilda – on 11th April 1898 Kate married Leonard Baker in Pilning. She was left £5 in her father’s will. Kate died in Northwick near Pilning in 1939.
Charles – on 19th April 1913 he married Lucy Hannah Sage at Alveston. Lucy was born on 14th December 1892, the daughter of Charles Henry Sage, a brickyard labourer and his wife, Charlotte Jane, who were living in a cottage in Church Lane, Alveston in the 1901 census. It seems likely that Charles took over the house at 53 St Mary Street following the death of his father in 1912. He also seems to have taken over his job as carter for the Midland Railway according to the 1914 and 1915 Prewett’s Directory.
Charles jnr served in the Army in the First World War. He was discharged from the Army Service Corps on 5th July 1916 at which time he was said to be 33 years old and a carting agent who lived at Lower Bath Road. He was discharged on health grounds. Owing to wet and exposure as a carting agent he had rheumatism in his knees and shoulders.
In 1916 Charles was living in one of the cottages at 7 & 9 Bath Road when they were put up for sale. Shortly after this Charles and Lucy moved to 10 Pitt Road, Horfield in Bristol and Charles began working at the Bristol Aircraft Corporation. They remained in Pitt Road for the rest of their lives. Charles and Lucy had three children: Violet R born in 1917, Charles H born in 1919 and Olive C born in 1920. Charles died in 1942 and Lucy died in 1978.
Austin – was left £5 in his father’s will. Austin also served in the regimental numbers were 83878 and 532196. In 1914 at Bristol he enlisted into the 9th Royal Cavalry Reserve. His records show that he was a groom when he enlisted. He joined the 3rd Hussars on 13th September 1915 at which time he joined the British Expeditionary Forces. We understand that the 3rd Hussars became part of the 4th Cavalry Brigade and were assigned to the 2nd Cavalry Division and as such he would have served on the Western Front in France. For his service in the war he was awarded 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal. After the war on 8th October 1921 Austin was transferred to the 153 Hussars and in 1922 he was discharged. His wife was Georgina Evans and he married her in Farnham on 4th December 1920. Their daughter Blanche was born in Farnham on 20th February 1921 at Farnham.
We are very grateful to Austin’s son, David, who has told us that Austin settled in Pirbright in Surrey where he became a groom to the equerry of the King. Presumably this was Sir John Renton Aird. Austin had five daughters and a son and he died only one month after David was born in 1940.
Harry Salisbury – from about 1920 the house was occupied by William Hiron Salisbury and his family. We are confused by his middle name – sometimes it appears as ‘Hiron’ or ‘Hirons’ and at other times ‘Henry’. Whichever is the right name, we know that William went by the name of ‘Harry’ and he was a butcher.
Harry was born in Meriden, Warwickshire on 11th April 1891. He was the son of William Hiron Salisbury, a blacksmith and his wife, Mary Ann (nee Freeman). In the 1901 census the family were living in Meriden. On 7th September 1914 Harry married Maud Savery in Thornbury. Maud was born on 11th February 1893, the daughter of John Charles and Fanny Savery who lived at 3 Bath Road.
After their marriage Harry and Maud lived in Horseshoe Lane, but we are not sure which house they lived in. We know that they were living at Horseshoe Lane when their first child, William Henry (also known as Harry), was born on 14th December 1914 and baptised on 7th February 1915 and they were still there when Raymond John was born on 4th September 1916 and baptised on 12th August 1917. In October 1916 Harry applied for exemption from military service. He was living in Horseshoe Lane at that time and working as a slaughterman and delivery man for John Taylor, the butcher in the High Street. John claimed that he could not do without Harry. He was granted conditional exemption until 30th December 1916.
Raymond’s baptism record in 1917 shows that Harry was a soldier in the Army at the time. The Council School records show that they were living in Horseshoe Lane in 1918 and 1919 when William Henry and his brother, Raymond John started at the Council School. They had moved to St Mary Street by 1920 when Harry went to the Council Upper School. We know that in 1924 Harry Snr purchased at auction the property he had been renting there. It was described as ‘a dwelling house, shop and premises with frontages to St Mary Street and Rock Street which started at £300 and was knocked down for £402 10 shillings’. This property was the premises which later became known as 53 St Mary Street.
The Gazette dated 21st June 1924 reported the death of William’s father who had been living in Thornbury with his son’s family. Harry and Maud had one child, Benjamin Douglas born on 11th September 1928 and baptised on 7th October 1928. Harry ran his butchers from the shop in the house. He also had pig styes and a big orchard down by the railway station underpass near the Hopkins house. We have also been told that he had a trotting horse, Dolly, which was used to make deliveries around the country. Dolly won awards at horse shows at Ashton Court and he was stabled in the stables behind Miss Sims house in Upper Bath Road before the 4 cottages known as 2 – 8 Upper Bath Road. Dolly got out of his stable on one occasion and got his head stuck between a plough and severely damaged his face – he was saved from death and continued to be in the shows although disfigured. Harry used to bring his horse and traps through the double doors adjoining his son’s property at 16 Rock Street.
Maud died in 1943 aged 50. In 1952 Harry’s property and butcher’s business at 53 St Mary Street was put up for sale. The notice explains that ‘Mr Salisbury has not enjoyed the best of health for some time and that his business has declined as a result’. There is no doubt a young and active purchaser could quickly increase the business’. The property had two floors and a cellar. The ground floor comprised a shop, front sitting room, back living room, pantry and back kitchen with sink, water tap and soft water pump. The first floor comprised four bedrooms. In the rear there was an outside W.C., slaughterhouse, fasting pen, boiler house, stable and trap house with loft.
We don’t know what happened to the business or Harry’s health. He continued living at 53 St Mary Street until the early 1960’s. He is listed there in the 1961 electoral register, but on 28th June 1963 Harry sold the property to Roy Edward Pawsey of Almondsbury for £2500. Harry moved to 18 Streamleaze Caravan Park where he appears to be living with Evelyn M. Salisbury. Harry died in 1969.
Of their children:
- William Henry – was a builder who worked in the quarries. He married Nancy Farr in 1947 and settled to live in 16 Rock Street. Click here to read more
- Raymond John – we understand from Miss Higgins that Raymond went to the Grammar School, became a detective and was in the RAF.
- Benjamin Douglas – became a carpenter working for Tucker Brothers. On 1st April 1950 Ben married Pamela Doreen Pearce and they settled to live at 9 Bath Road and later moved to 4 Bath Road. Click here to read more
Within six months of buying the property from Harry Salisbury, Roy Edward Pawsey sold it to Absuspale Developments Ltd of Tytherington for £2500. We understand that after Harry moved from the house and shop, that Fred Pitt took over the shop and that Tom and Sheila Ellis lived for a short time in the flat above. On 23rd January 1969 Absuspale Developments sold it to Thornbury Rural District Council for £4500. The house was demolished and the land incorporated into the new St Mary Street Car Park.