We are able to trace the history of what later became 61 St Mary Street from its earliest days. We know from deeds and documents held by South Gloucestershire Council that when John Edmonds bought property here in 1803 he bought a messuage a garden and an orchard. He set about developing this very quickly because in his will of 1808 he described the house as having been divided into two messuages. The house that later became number 61 St Mary Street was a “new build”. It was described as;
“all that new erected messuage or dwelling house on the southward side of the said two last mentioned messuages and wherein William Lippiatt doth now dwell with the gardens orchard and appurtenances to the same messuage adjoining and belonging all which same messuages gardens orchard and premises are situate and being in the Town and Borough of Thornbury aforesaid on the Eastward side and upper part of a certain street there called the Back Street otherwise Saint Mary’s Street’.
William Lippiatt – must have lived in this house around 1808. He was probably the son of Edward Lippiatt a pargeter and his wife Sarah. If this is the case he was born in Moreton on 9th March 1781. We believe that William married Hester Pinnell on 2nd February 1807.
Hester was buried 17th July 1814 aged 32. William remarried. This time it was to Elizabeth Roberts on 31st December 1815. When William and Elizabeth had their son William Lippiatt baptised on 9th August 1818 he was described as a tiler and plasterer. By 1821 he was living at what later became known as 11 Rock Street. He later lived at 2 Sawmill Lane. Click here to read more
Thomas Barge – by the 1840 Tithe Apportionment Thomas Barge was occupying what we believe to be what became 2 Sawmill Lane. We believe that Thomas Barge and his family must have lived in 61 St Mary Street sometime before 1820 and after 1809 but we have no record of this, apart from in the deeds of this house. Click here to read more
Simon Slade – on the 13th April 1820 this property was conveyed to Thomas Smith and was described as “all that newly erected messuage or dwellinghouse wherein William Lippiatt many years since inhabited, Thomas Barge since dwelt, and Simon Slade doth now dwell.” When Daniel Pitcher acquired land in 1825 for the building of the new Presbyterian Chapel (now the United Reformed Church) on the corner of Rock Street and Chapel Street, part of that land was being used by Simon Slade. However by that time we believe he had moved to what later became 55 St Mary Street. Click here to read more
Thomas Screen – by 1840 in an indenture of mortgage with Thomas Rolph the “new house” had become “all that newly erected messuage or dwellinghouse wherein William Lippiatt many years since inhabited Thomas Barge since dwelt Simon Slade afterwards dwelt Thomas Screen and (left blank) Johnson doth now dwell .” The 1841 census shows Thomas was an agricultural labourer aged 51 living with Jane aged 52 (born outside of Gloucestershire) and Robert aged 24 and James aged 15 and Thomas aged 10. By 1851 they had moved out to Milbury Heath and they were living there with their son, Thomas aged 20. The census shows Jane was born in Stroud. The 1861 census shows Thomas had become a quarryman aged 71 and he and Jane were still living at Milbury Heath. Jane died aged 81 and was buried on 18th April 1870. Thomas died aged 81 and was buried on 12th September 1870. They were still living at Milbury Heath at the time of their deaths.
We were told about an interesting website describing the life of Thomas’s son, Thomas, written by Ken Edmundson who lives in Australia. Unfortunately the website is no longer available, but Ken wrote that Thomas was baptised at Thornbury Parish Church on 29th August 1830. He was the son of Thomas Screen and his wife, Jane Georgina (nee Hill) who married at St James Church, Bristol on 14th November 1814. Thomas and Jane also had other children: Mary Ann born 1815, Robert born 1817, William born 1820, Charles born 1822, Hester born 1824, James born 1826, Jane born 1828 and Caroline born 1832.
In June 1856, when 26 years old, Thomas Junior left Liverpool on the Saldanha and arrived in Port Philip, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia in September 1856. In the manifest he was described as a labourer. It is suggested by family stories, that he intended to join a group setting up a Tannery, but that his proposed partners had lost the business before he arrived. Family knowledge suggests that he also worked for a company providing water for mining, and that at sometime he worked as a miner. On 17th January 1861, Thomas, a tanner married Mary Ann Moss aged 30, born Stepney, London, the daughter of Isaac Moss, a stay maker, and his wife, Mary (nee Philpott). Mary Ann was indicated as Hat Trimmer. Both bride and groom were said to be living in Ballarat.
The first child of Thomas and Mary Ann, Louisa Jane was born in Ballarat in 1862, but she died in 1863 and was buried in Ballarat Old Cemetery on 5 Jan 1863 at the age of 13 months. A second child, Mary Jane, was born in Ballarat in 1863. Thomas Screen, aged 32, was described as a Miner. The certificate also records that there was another child, Louisa, deceased.
Thomas’s wife, Mary Ann, died in Ballarat in 1870 and was buried in Ballarat Old Cemetery on 29 August 1870. Ken says that following Mary Ann’s death, Thomas sailed for New Zealand but gives no further information of his life there.
George Johnson – when the property was advertised for sale on 30th October 1841 it was as one of the “freehold messuages or dwelling houses situate in St Mary Street in the Town of Thornbury with the gardens and appurtenances thereto respectively belonging now in the respective occupations of George Johnson …” at an annual rent of £6. George Johnson appears in the trade directories of Thornbury in 1849 and 1852 as a cooper. However it appears that by the 1851 census George Johnson and his wife Elizabeth had moved to Colston Street Bedminster in Bristol. We believe that he may have been born in Thornbury on 28th September 1811, the son of William Johnson, a labourer and his wife, Sarah.
Robert Sargent – the 1851 census shows Robert was living there. He was a journeyman plasterer aged 30 from Yate living there with his wife, Sarah, a dressmaker aged 29 from Dartford in Kent and their children: Walter aged 7 born in London, Herbert aged born in Yate and Alfred aged 2 months born in Thornbury. They had a visitor Richard Ashwood, a journeyman baker aged 28 from Stevenage in Hertfordshire. Click here to read more
Henry Baylis – in 1887 this property was sold to Thomas Morgan. It was then described as houses previously occupied by William Lippiatt, Thomas Barge, Simon Slade, Thomas Screen,,,,…..Johnson, Henry Baylis and lately Thomas Morgan.
The 1861 census shows the house was occupied by Henry who was a carrier aged 26 living with his wife, Amelia (although the census records her name as ‘Ann’), aged 23 and their sons, George aged two and Albert aged one. They continued to live here in the 1871 census, although before 1876 they moved to 1 Bath Road. Henry bought the property that became 1 Bath Road on 19th November 1873. Click here to read more
In the 1881 census the house was unoccupied.
Thomas Pointing – on 28th October 1886 Sydney Pointing who was still living in Oldbury sold the properties to Thomas Pointing who was described as a hay dealer and living in the “new” house of the three properties, previously occupied by William Lippiatt, Thomas Barge, Siimon Slade, Thomas Screen, …..Johnson and Henry Baylis. Click here to read more
Thomas Morgan – by 1887 it was occupied by Thomas Morgan who bought it from Thomas Pointing. Click here to read moreHenry Sims – the 1891 census shows that Henry was a butcher aged 28 from Thornbury living with his wife, Elizabeth Ann aged 27 from Bath and their children: William Henry aged 3 and Elsie Grace aged 1 and a boarder, Francis Henry Peglar, a butcher aged 26 from Berkeley. Henry Sims was born about 1863, the son of Samuel Sims, an agricultural labourer and his wife, Grace. In 1871 we think they were living at 35 St Mary Street. In 1886 Henry married Elizabeth Mitchell in Clutton. We are not sure where the Sims went – they had another daughter, Nora Isabel registered in Barton Regis area of Bristol in June quarter 1895.
Thomas Smith – the 1894 and 1899 rate books show the house was occupied by Thomas Smith. The 1901 census shows that Thomas was a carpenter aged 61. He was living there with his wife, Amelia aged 44 and their son, Thomas aged 10 and one lodger, William Bevan, a widowed farm servant aged 39. Thomas had married Amelia Dudfield in Bristol area in December quarter 1887. By 1890 Thomas and Amelia were living in Thornbury in a house that later became 5 Silver Street. Their son, Thomas Dudfield Smith was baptised in Thornbury on 16th October 1890. The Western Daily Press of 4th December 1902 reported on a shocking case of child neglect. Twelve year old Thomas Dudfield Smith was said to be “partially dumb” greatly neglected and in a filthy condition. Amelia Smith said this was because her husband was a drunkard and the family were nearly starving. She had sold as many of their household goods as she could to try and buy food but she could not cope with a third winter of starvation. Thomas Smith was sentenced to three months hard labour.
The Smiths had left this house by the time of the 1905 rate book. The 1911 census showed that Thomas Dudfield Smith had been admitted as a patient at Barnwood mental hospital. The census of 1911 also shows that Amelia Smith (described as a married woman) was working as a cook and living with her cousins Cornelius and Elizabeth Bowen in Bristol. Thomas Smith senior then aged 72 was an inmate of the workhouse in Thornbury. He died aged 74 in 1913. His death was registered in Thornbury.
Jesse Orchard – the 1910 rate book shows the house was occupied by Jesse Orchard. Edward Jess Orchard was born in Wotton Under Edge in June quarter 1878. He was the son of John and Eliza Orchard. In September quarter 1899 Jesse married Bertha Susanna Pinnegar who came from Cromhall. They had a daughter Florence Evelyn born on 12th August 1900. The 1901 census shows them living in Worthy Road, Wotton under Edge. Jesse seems to be working as an ‘elastic dresser’. Shortly after the census they must have moved to Thornbury as they had a son, Lionel Vincent, born there on 24th September 1902. In the 1905 rate book Jesse is shown as living in 10 Chapel Street renting a house owned by Mrs Shepherd. In 1908 when Florence started at the Council Upper School the family were still living in Chapel Street. The 1910 rate book, 1910 and 1913 Voters Lists and the school records for when Lionel started at the Council Upper School all show the family living in St Mary Street. The 1911 census describes Jesse as a vanman aged 33. He was living at the house in St Mary Street with Bertha aged 34 and their two children: Florence and Lionel and two boarders.
We don’t know what happened to the Orchards after this time. They are not listed in the 1918 or 1921 electoral registers. It appears as if they moved away. We note that Bertha S Orchard died in the Dursley area in 1926 aged 49 and that Edward J Orchard died in Bristol area in 1933 aged 55.
Henry Charles Thomas Trayhurn – we know that 61 St Mary Street was occupied for a long time in the 1900’s by Thomas Trayhurn (as he seems to have been called in some records or Henry Charles in others, and in one case, Harry) and his wife, Beatrice. Thomas was born on 15th August 1879 and baptised Thomas Henry Charles Trayhurn on 10 September 1879. He was the son of William Trayhurn, the tailor and his wife, Julia who were living in 37 St Mary Street in the early 1900’s. Thomas married Beatrice Susanna Liddiatt in the Bristol on 6th September 1912. Beatrice was born on 11th November 1881 and baptised on 1st January 1882, the daughter of William Liddiatt, a coachman and his wife, Ellen who were living at 45 St Mary Street in the early 1900’s.
Thomas and Beatrice had a daughter, Norah Ellen born in Thornbury on 1st November 1914. We are not sure where Thomas and Beatrice lived after they got married. When Thomas enlisted in the Army in 1916 his address was given as St Mary Street. In 1919 when he was discharged the address was shown as Chapel Street. We are not sure whether these two addresses are the same, or different, houses seeing that number 61 is on the corner of both streets.
Thomas’s army records show he enlisted in the 11th Battalion Bedford Regiment on 9th June 1916. He was a mason by trade aged 35 years 4 months, height 5ft 6 inches, weight 159 lbs and chest 38 inch with 3.5 inch range. Thomas became a Sapper in the Royal Engineers 325th (Quarry) Company on 24th May 1917.
We know that from 1918 onwards they were listed in the electoral registers as living in St Mary Street. The 1925 Valuation List and the 1926 rate book lists ‘Harry’ as living in 61 St Mary Street, then owned by ‘Misses Powell’. We know that the references to ‘Harry’ is the same person as the 1927 electoral registers lists Henry Charles and Beatrice Susannah Trayhurn as living together in St Mary Street. ‘Harry’ Trayhurn the butcher was living elsewhere.
The register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the war lists Thomas and Beatrice living in the house. Thomas was described as a mason bricklayer.
Thomas (or Henry Charles as he seems to be called in his later life) and Beatrice are shown as living in 61 St Mary Street in the 1954 electoral register when street numbered had been introduced. On the 9th of August 1955 when the property was sold it was said to be in the occupation of “H C Trayhurn”, which presumably should have been T H C Trayhurn.
On 24th August 1954 Beatrice Susannah Trayhurn purchased 16 Chapel Street from George Henry Dawes and the 1958 electoral register shows their address as 16 Chapel Street. On 2nd February 1959 Beatrice Trayhurn (“a married woman of Chapel Street Thornbury”) bought 57 St Mary Street from the trustees of Edmund Cullimore. On 12th January 1960 Beatrice Susannah Trayhurn then described as a widow of 16 Chapel Street sold the whole of that property to Thornbury Rural District Council. We cannot explain the reference to Beatrice being a widow as her husband was still alive.
Beatrice Trayhurn died 6th May 1960 and probate of her estate was granted on 31st May 1960. Only Thomas is listed in the electoral rolls of 1961 and he is shown as living in 57 St Mary Street where he still lived in the 1965 register. Their daughter Norah Ellen Green the wife of Arthur Allen Green died 10th July 1964 at 60 St Bride’s Road Aberkenfig Glamorgan aged 50. Thomas died at the same address on 14th September 1966. On 20th December 1968 Thomas’s executor, Hugh Wells, sold 57 St Mary Street to Thornbury Rural District Council for £1,700.00.
Frederick and Kathleen Ellis – the 1958, 1961 and 1965 electoral registers all show that 61 St Mary Street was occupied by Frederick and Kathleen Ellis. We have been told that Fred was an ex-publican who ran the Royal Oak in Cromhall.
On 31st March 1967 Jack Lewis Judd who then lived in 59 St Mary Street conveyed both 59 and 61 St Mary Street to Thornbury District Council as part of the redevelopment plan for £8,750. T he properties were demolished to make space for the car park which is still there.