The photograph on the left was taken in 1969. It shows that garage built on the land next to The Plough. The lower part of the property (next to The Plough) was what had been the old Malt House. It is possible to make out the chimney and a little of the roof of the old Court House behind, which were once a part of the same property as the Malt House when used as the old Workhouse and Corporation buildings.
The photograph on the right below is a thumbnail image of the same building looking up St Mary Street towards the Church Institute building. Please click on it for a larger image.
The garage consisted of several buildings. The one adjoining The Plough had its origins as a tan house. We have records about this property dating back to 1594 which enable us to trace its history from that time. In 1739 it was bought by the Overseers of the Poor and used as part of the new Workhouse erected there. Click here to read about the old Workhouse
Thanks largely to the co-operation of South Gloucestershire Council we have been able to photograph many of the deeds and documents that relate to the owners and occupants of the property and we have outlined its history below.
Abraham Cole – on 4th December 1840 the Guardians of the Workhouse sold a large property to Abraham Cole for which he paid £425. The property was described as being ‘All that large house lately used as a Workhouse with outhouse yard and garden adjoining’. Abraham appears to have used the house as his home while he made use of the buildings adjoining to the rear of his house and which fronted St Mary Street for producing malt. Presumably this was used to supply the Brewery and the pubs he owned nearby. The buildings used for malt making later formed part of the garage. Click here to read about Abraham Cole
On the 14th June 1910 the estate of Abraham Cole was put up for auction. In the sale notice lot 13 was described as “all that freehold block of buildings with land situate in St Mary Street and St John Street in the town of Thornbury and now in the occupation of Mrs Elizabeth Trayhurn or her undertenants and Messrs E W Savery and Francis Williams. Part of the buildings were formerly used for malting purposes and are now warehouses.” The sale notice described the house which was seemingly in the occupation of Mrs Trayhurn and goes on to say “there are two large store rooms on the base with 5 good sized lofts over. The outbuildings comprise 2 stall stable, 2 loose boxes, harness room, cart shed, hay and straw shed with stone built shed formerly used as a malt kiln.” We believe it is this last mentioned stone built shed and possibly some of the other buildings that were later referred to in the indenture of 1946 as “forming part of buildings formerly used for malting purposes” that later became part of the garage.
A Conveyance of 28th September 1910 later described the buildings where the garage came to be built as “all those buildings formerly used for malting purposes but then as warehouse site adjoining the said street called St Mary Street” …..”in the occupation of the said E Trayhurn or her undertenants and Edwin William Savery and Francis Williams.”
Edwin William Savery – owned an ironmonger’s business at what was later known as 13 The Plain. Click here to read more
Francis Williams – was a brushmaker and also a seedsman. He opened a shop on the High Street just down from the old Police Station which became known as the Seed Supply. Click here to read more
Edwin and Francis were presumably using the old kiln and other buildings associated with malting as stores for their businesses.
The first indenture we have found that actually describes this part of the property as a garage was a Conveyance of 23rd January 1946. This indenture refers to the fact that Harry Maishment Trayhurn was the former owner of a large property which included the Court House, the butcher’s shop and the land and buildings which became the garage.
Harry Trayhurn was involved in this indenture because of the closeness between the Malt House and Court House (which latter property he still owned) gave rise to concerns about the rights to light and air. The indenture also explained that Harry Maishment Trayhurn had sold the part of the property on which the garage stood to Trayhurn Bros on December 31st 1944.
Harry Maishment Trayhurn – was born in 1877. Trayhurns was the most well known of the butcher’s shops in Thornbury for very many years, until the 1980’s. Harry married Kathleen Eleanor Lawrence and later Millicent Mary Allen. Click here to read about Harry Maishment Trayhurn
On 23rd January 1946 Norman Bryant of Westaway Brentry Lane in Bristol and an engineer bought the property from the company called Trayhurn Bros. The indenture of 1946 described the property being conveyed as “all that piece of land with the buildings erected thereon situate in and on the east side of St Mary Street forming part of buildings formerly used for malting purposes the greater part of which said premises were for some years past in the occupation of Edward John Clutterbuck as a garage and workshop. The remainder being then in the occupation of the vendors and the whole of which premises are now in the occupation of the purchaser.”
Edward John Clutterbuck – was said to be occupying this property in 1944 when it was sold to Trayhurn Bros. He was using it as a garage and workshop called the Paragon Motor Works. Edward John Clutterbuck was born May 25th 1902 and was the son of William Leonard Hobbs and Mary Louisa Clutterbuck. He married Phyllis Doreen Clarke at Oldbury in September 1932. Click here to read more
Norman Bryant – bought the garage in 1946. On 25th June 1953 Norman Bryant formerly of Westaway Brentry Lane but then of Verneridge, Almondsbury sold the garage to Albert Arthur Green of Cleveland Rudgeway. At this time it was merely described as a property used as a garage and workshop. The right to light and air from and over the property of Harry Maishment Trayhurn was again mentioned.
From looking at the Ancestry website it appears that Norman Bryant was the son of Arthur Edward Bryant and Mary Ayris. He was born in Bristol on 27th February 1913 and married Eva Margaret Strong on 10th July 1940. At the time of his marriage he lived at Brentry Lodge and was described as an engineer. On the right we have a thumbnail image of Norman and Eva. Please click on it for a larger image. Norman apparently lived for some time in Church Road Thornbury. Norman sold the garage in Thornbury in 1953 and by 1957 he was living in Kenilworth in Worcestershire.
According to Matthew Riddle, Norman’s mother Mary died in 1974 at 1 Downs Park West in Bristol and Norman himself died only a few months later. When he died in August 1974 in Sussex, he was described as a retired motor mechanic.
Albert Arthur Green – Albert bought this property in 1953. On 14th February 1962 Albert Arthur Green of Cleveland, Rudgeway sold the property to Thornbury Motor Company for £4,000. At that time it was still in the occupation of the vendor. Albert Arthur Green was born in 1899 and died in the Thornbury District in 1979.
Thornbury Motor Company – bought the property in 1962. On 10th Feb 1970 Mike Manning and his partners trading as Thornbury Motor Co Ltd sold the property to Thornbury District Council. On the left we have a thumbnail photograph of Mike Manning who was mayor of Thornbury 1986-7. Please click on it for a larger image.