St Mary Street

1840 Tithe Map - North

St Mary Street – Tithe north 2016-10-25T14:26:10+00:00

SMS 1840 Tithe Map northIn the late 1830’s a survey of the area was made for the purpose of calculating the amount payable to the Manor in place of the tithe.  This survey provides the earliest plan of the area covered by St Mary Street and gives details of who owned and occupied the land, and its use at that time.  It was published in 1840 but seems to have taken two or three years to compile.  This means some information was out of date by the time it was published.

Plot 174 – house and court owned by Frances Gayner and occupied by George Withers
Plot 188 – cottages owned by Trustees of Stafford’s Charity and occupied by Frances Gayner, Martha King, Edna Howell, Ann Limbrick, Jane Nelmes and Sarah Taylor
Plot 196 – a house and yard owned and occupied by Joseph Laver
Plot 205 – a house and garden owned by Samuel Leonard and occupied by Joseph Birt
Plot 206 – malthouse owned by Samuel Leonard and occupied by Abraham Cole
Plot 207 – house, garden and yard owned by Thomas Nelmes and occupied by Ezra Amos
Plot 208 – Workhouse etc owned by Board of Guardians of Thornbury Union
Plot 209 – school etc owned by Feoffees of Thornbury/Board of Guardians
Plot 210 – garden owned by Trustees of Stafford’s Charity and occupied by Frances Gayner
Plot 211 – garden owned and occupied by Frances Gayner
Plots 214 & 215 – house, schoolroom and garden owned by Feoffees of Thornbury and occupied by Robert Hawtin
Plot 216 – house and garden owned by George Young and occupied by James Morgan
Plot 219 – cottage and gardens owned by Corporation of Thornbury and occupied by A. Thurston, William Gough, Alice Trayherne and Benjamin Baylis
Plot 220 – house, shop and yard owned and occupied by Daniel Burchell
Plot 221 – house and garden owned by Daniel Burchell and occupied by Maria Cam and house owned by Daniel Burchell and occupied by William Clark

 

Sorry - contact us if you need this image