In the late 1830’s a survey of the area was made for the purpose of calculating the amount payable to the Manor in place of the tithe. This survey provides the earliest plan of the area covered by St Mary Street and gives details of who owned and occupied the land, and its use at that time. It was published in 1840 but seems to have taken two or three years to compile. This means some information was out of date by the time it was published.
Plot 134 – house and garden owned and occupied by Mary Wilkes
Plot 135 – houses and gardens owned by Mary Wilkes and occupied by Martha Winstone, John Pyle, and Thomas Ann
Plot 136 – houses and gardens owned by George Cossham and occupied by John Birnall, one void, and John Davis
Plot 137 – house and garden owned by Richard Scarlett and occupied by George Virgo
Plot 141 – house and garden owned by Daniel Pitcher and occupied by Jacob Withus (presumably Withers)
Plot 142 – houses and gardens owned by Thomas Hunt and occupied by George Bennett, Thomas Wetmore, Mary Cossham, Giles Pritchard, Samuel Barge and Hester Birnall (note this plot includes the 3 houses on Rock Street which became numbers 16, 18 and 20 and 3 houses on St Mary Street. The 1841 census shows that Pritchard, Barge and Birnall lived in St Marys Street).
Plot 143 – a cottage and garden owned by Mary Wilkes and occupied by James Cossham and a house and garden owned by Mary Wilkes and occupied by George Davis
Plot 145 – house and garden owned by William Ford and occupied by Hugh Davis
Plot 146 – houses and gardens owned by Thomas Smith and occupied by William Hughes, Thomas Osborne and Thomas Screen
Plot 147 – house and court owned by John Lidiard and occupied by Thomas Facey
Plot 148 – houses owned by Robert Hopkins and occupied by Celia Walker and John Traherne (presumably Trayhurn)
Plot 154 – house and garden owned by Thomas Morgan and occupied by Samuel Witchell Lovegrove
Plot 164 – houses and gardens owned by James Martin Baxter and occupied by James Parnell and Charles Woodward
Plot 165 – house and garden owned by Corporation of Thornbury and occupied by Benjamin English
Plot 166 – house, slaughterhouse and garden owned by Corporation of Thornbury and occupied by Joseph Walker