In 1851 Mark and Mary Ann were still living in the house. Mark was described as a master cordwainer (an alternative name for a shoemaker). By 1858 Mark had moved to St Mary Street where he was living at what we now know as ‘The Plough’. Mark was described as a beerhouse keeper and journeyman shoemaker. He died in 1865 aged 52 years. Following his death, Mary Ann moved to 11 St John Street, another of the houses owned by Luke Withers. Mary Ann died in 1874 aged 69 years.
‘Lewis’ – the 1859 Rate Book shows that a person called ‘Lewis’ was occupying the house at that time.
Sarah Wetmore – in 1861 the house was occupied by Sarah Wetmore a widowed seamstress aged 56 born in Tytherington, her daughter, Eliza a tailor aged 21 and son, George a tailor’s apprentice aged 17.
We know almost nothing about the early life of Sarah Wetmore although we do know she was born in Tytherington and that her husband Thomas Wetmore was from Loddon a market town in Norfolk. We do not know how they met or where they married but by the Tithe Map of 1840 they were living in what became 18 Rock Street.
We do not know Sarah’s maiden name but there is a possible marriage in Bristol on 26th June 1833, which would mean she was Sarah Klincey.
The 1841 Census shows that Thomas Wetmore a tailor aged 36 occupied what later became 10 Chapel Street with his wife Sarah aged 37 and their children Matilda aged 7, Frances aged 5, Elizabeth aged 3 and Eliza aged 1. They had two lodgers Henry Alway aged 15 an apprentice tailor and Robert Barrett aged 18 a tailor.
Their daughter Matilda was baptised on 15th May 1844 in Thornbury when she was already aged ten years. On the same day Thomas and Sarah chose to have the other five children, Frances Mary Ann Wetmore aged eight Elizabeth Wetmore aged six, Eliza aged four, Thomas aged two and George aged five weeks, baptised.
In the 1851 Census their address was described as ‘Top of Back Street’ which was another name for what we now know as Chapel Street. It seems possible that the family may have moved to number 16 Chapel Street. Thomas was a tailor aged 45 and he was described as employing two boys and one girl. Living with Thomas and Sarah were their children, Matilda aged 17 a tailoress, Frances aged 15, Elizabeth aged 13, Eliza aged 11, Thomas aged nine, George aged seven, and Ann aged five. They also had one of Thomas’s two employees as a lodger; George Alway a tailor’s apprentice aged 17 from Alveston.
Thomas died on 20 September 1860 aged 55 years and his address on death was given as the ‘Thornbury Union’ so he was probably in the infirmary. In 1861 his widow Sarah was living in 13 St John Street, a seamstress aged 56 born in Tytherington, with her daughter, Eliza a tailor aged 21 and son, George a tailor’s apprentice aged 17. By 1871 Sarah had moved to 9 St John Street. She was described as a housekeeper born in Itchington, living with her son, James, an apprentice clock and watch maker aged 19 and two lodgers, Herbert Chivers, a grocer’s assistant aged 31 from Devizes and Charles Neal, a baker from Sodbury aged 30. Sarah was still the tenant of the house in the 1876 Rate Book. Sarah died 3 Feb 1880 aged 75 years.
Of their children
- Matilda Wetmore married a mason William Hudson in 1859. They appear to be living in the Falfield area in 1861.
- George Wetmore born about 1845 married Hester Ann Sweatman in 1876. She was the daughter of William and Ann Sweatman of Marshfield. In 1881 he and his family were living near The Swan in the High Street.
- James Wetmore – in 1881 James Wetmore was a clock and watch maker, boarding in Horseshoe Lane with Edwin Wathen, a baker, and his wife Harriett.
Eliza Payne and Samuel Haynes – in 1871 the house was occupied by Eliza Payne, an unmarried shopkeeper aged 57 who was born in Wotton Under Edge. Eliza may have left it late, but she did marry – the 1881 census shows that the house was now occupied by Samuel Haynes, a labourer aged 70 from Glastonbury and his wife, Eliza aged 67 from Wotton under Edge. In June quarter 1875, Eliza Wilkinson Payne married Samuel Haynes in Bristol. Samuel died in 1883 aged 72. Read about Samuel Haynes and his family
The Rate Books of 1876 and 1880 show that Samuel Haynes was the tenant of 11 St John Street but it seems likely that the Censuses are the correct version and the records of the Rate Books are slightly wrong as it seems unlikely that the Haynes and their next door neighbour would have changed houses twice with each other. In 1885, after Samuel’s death in 1883, Mrs Haynes is shown as the tenant of the house.
John Luce – in 1887, 1890 and 1894 the Rate Books say that the tenant of the house is John Luce and the 1891 Census shows the house is occupied by John Luce, an unmarried blacksmith aged 48. John was baptised in Thornbury on 25th January 1843, the son of John Luce, labourer and his wife Ellen. Read more
John was another inhabitant of number 13 to leave it late in life to marry. The 1890 Rate Book and the 1901 census shows him living in The Church Institute at 11 St Mary Street with his wife, Mary Ann aged 56. The FreeBMD website shows that John Luce married Mary Ann Newman in the Bedminster area in 1894. The burial register shows John was a blacksmith. He died in the infirmary of Thornbury Workhouse on 2nd August 1911 aged 70 years and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 5th August 1911. Mary Ann continued to live there until she died on 7th November 1921 aged 77 years.
Harry Trayhurn – in 1899 the Rate book shows that Harry Trayhurn is the tenant and the Census of 1901 shows that the house was occupied by Harry and Kathleen Trayhurn – Read more
We are not sure when Harry and Kathleen moved from 13. In 1905 the Rate Book does not show a tenant.
Mary Huish – the Rate Book of 1910 shows the name of ‘Mrs Huish’. The 1911 census shows it was Mary Huish, a widowed domestic helper aged 68 from Rockhampton. She was listed as still living there in the 1915 and 1916 Prewett’s Directories. Click here to read more
William Charles Savery – the next family we know lived in the house was that of William Charles Savery and his wife, Sophia who moved to live there in 1917. They stayed here until 1926 when they moved to Lower Bath Road. Click here to read more
Tucker Brothers – the next occupants of the house were the Tucker Brothers. They did not live here – they actually lived next door in number 15 and used number 13 as an office for their building business. The main workshops of
their business were across the road in the old Quaker Meeting Hall and they had other buildings and land in Crispin Lane which they used for storage and stabling their horses. Click here to read more
We are not sure the house returned to private residential use. We have heard that Mr Raymond Weeks ran his business of Thornbury Taxis from the house. Raymond was the son of Harold and Bessie Weekes of 12 Chapel Street. This appears to be confirmed by the advertisement on the right.
Since that time there has been a series of tenants living there.