In the late 1830s a survey of the area was made for the purpose of calculating the amount payable to the Manor in place of the tithe. This survey provides the earliest plan of the area covered by John Street and gives details of who owned and occupied the land, and its use at that time. Note that the street now known as Pullins Green was then included as part of ‘John Street’. ‘John Street’ is now called St John Street and is generally referred to as such on our website. The street now known as Crispin Lane was then called ‘Mutton Lane’ and the street known as Saw Mill Lane was not named on the map.
The Survey was published in 1840 but seems to have taken two or three years to compile. This means some information was out of date by the time it was published.
The detail accompanying the 1840 Tithe map shows:
Plot 207 – house, garden and yard owned by Thomas Nelmes and occupied by Ezra Amos
Plot 208 – workhouse etc owned by Board of Guardians of Thornbury Union
Plot 212 – Meeting house and yard owned by Trustees of The Friends Meeting House
Plot 213 – house and yard owned by Thomas Osborne Wetmore and occupied by Jeremiah Price
Plot 217 – two houses and gardens owned by Sarah Greenman and occupied by herself and Charles Hopton
Plot 218 – garden owned by Corporation of Thornbury and occupied by George Laver.
Plot 226 – six houses and gardens owned by Daniel Birchell and occupied by John Screen, Charles Owen Pearce, Mary Jackson, Mary Langobeare, Mary Olive and John Birt.
Plot 227 – house and garden owned by Luke Withers and occupied by James Cullimore
Plot 228 – cottage and garden owned and occupied by Benjamin English
Plot 229 three cottages and gardens owned by John Cossham and occupied by himself, James Nelmes and Joseph Savery
Plot 230 – house, blacksmith shop and garden owned by Thomas Crossman and occupied by John King
Plot 231 – house and garden owned by Thomas Crossman and occupied by Edward Oakley Robertson
Plot 232 – house and garden owned and occupied by James Ford
Plot 233 – house and garden owned by Thomas Crossman and occupied by Thomas Willshire
Plot 234 – house and garden owned and occupied by John Powell
Plot 235 – house and garden owned by Thomas Crossman and occupied by John Champion
Plot 236 – house and garden owned by Charles Hopton and occupied by William Cullimore
Plot 237 – house and garden owned by Sarah Thomas and occupied by William Holloway
Plot 238 – house and garden owned and occupied by William Thomas
Plot 239 – house and garden owned and occupied by Luke Withers
Plot 240 – two houses and court owned by Luke Withers and occupied by Martha Allen and Susan Watkins
Plot 241 – two houses and court owned by John Powell and occupied by William Lidiard and George Walker
Plot 242 – house and court owned and occupied by James Ford
Plot 243 – house, workshop and garden owned and occupied by William Knapp
Plot 311 – house and garden owned by George Taylor and occupied by Thomas Barge and Aaron Newman