William Holloway – the 1840 Tithe survey shows the property occupied by William Holloway. We don’t know anything definite about William, although we suspect he is the same person living in the house in the 1841 and 1851 censuses whose name was recorded as William Allaway. The 1859 and 1862 Rate Books also show that William Alloway was the occupant. William was a gardener born about 1796 in Shiplake, Oxfordshire. His wife was Mary; she was born about 1790 in Bath and she was buried on 27th November 1859 aged 68 years.
There is a record in the Quarter Sessions records at Gloucester Records Office showing that on 13th May 1829 William Holloway was violently assaulted and beaten by John Phillips. The Justices of the Peace for Thornbury fined John Phillips two shillings and sixpence to be paid to the Overseers of the Poor and a further 5 shillings and six pence for costs to be paid to William Holloway. By 1861 we think William had moved into Saw Mill Lane where he was a widower boarding with Charles Limbrick. We are not sure what happened to William after that.
In the 1861 census the house was unoccupied so we do not know who lived there after William Holloway.
James Underhill – the 1871 census shows the house was occupied by James Underhill, a carpenter aged 30. James was born in Kington, the eldest son of John Underhill, a labourer and his wife, Louisa (nee Hopkins). He was baptised at Thornbury St Mary’s on 2nd August 1840. Living with James in 1871 was his wife, Emma aged 40, and their children, Edward James and Edith. James had married Emma Norris on 25th March 1863 at Thornbury St Mary’s. Emma was the daughter of George Norris, a gardener. She was aged 32 at the time of the marriage, having been born in Newton St Loe in Somerset. The witnesses at the wedding were Thomas Underhill and Elizabeth Norris.
Further censuses show that James and Emma carried on living at 19 St John Street for a long time. In 1881 living with the family were a nephew, John Bartlett, a butcher aged 17 and William Smith, an unmarried boarder aged 23 who was a baker born in Frome. By 1891 John and Emma were living there alone. It is interesting to note that the family of James’s brother, Thomas, was living nearby at 10 Pullins Green from about 1870 to shortly after 1921. Click here to read about Thomas’s family
We know that in 1908 when the house was put up for auction and sold, James Underhill was still being listed as a tenant paying a yearly rent of £8 10 shillings. We also know that James was the tenant of the house in 1910 according to the Rate Book. The 1911 census shows that James and Emma were still living in the house – James was now aged 70 and Emma was aged 80. James died aged 72 and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 22nd January 1913. Emma died aged 86 and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 12th March 1917.
Of their children:
- Edward James was born on 14th July 1868 and baptised 6th September 1868. Click here to read more about Edward
- Edith Louisa was baptised on 2nd October 1870. In 1894, she married George Albert Poole, who was a coachman. The 1901 census shows them living in Alveston. George is a groom and gardener aged 79 from Bristol, and rather surprisingly bearing in mind George’s age, they have two children: Edith Emma baptised on 11th April 1895 and Dorothy Louisa born in 1899.
The next occupant we know of is:
William Stinchcombe – William is shown in the electoral registers of 1918 to 1925 as living in St John Street. He was also listed as living in St John Street in the 1916 Prewett’s Street Directory. We don’t know much about William. We suspect that he was gardener living at Castle Lodge in the 1901 census. He was aged 62 at that time living with his wife, Anna, who was a domestic aged 66 and daughter Selina aged 31. Selina married in 1901 and Anna died in 1907 aged 73, so William would have been a widower, possibly living on his own in St John Street in 1918.
William was born in Hillesley around 1838. He married Anna Morgan in Bristol in December quarter 1859. Anna was born about 1834 in Aust. William was an agricultural labourer and he and Anna lived in several addresses around Thornbury. In 1861 and 1871 they were living in Mutton Lane (now called Crispin Lane), in one of the houses long since disappeared. By 1876 they had moved to Bulls Lane (the house which later became known as 9 Bath Road) and by 1885, they might have been in 1 Rock Street where the Rate Book shows that a William Stinchcombe was the occupant. By 1891 they had moved again to Castle Lodge.
They had at least four children: Emily born in Aust in 1860, the rest were born in Thornbury, Selina born about 1861, Harriet in 1863, Rosey in 1870, and James in 1873. We know that James emigrated to America and he settled in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1917 the Gazette newspaper reported that three of James’s sons, Eugene, James and George, had joined the US Army to ‘fight for liberty’. It noted that their father, James was an employee of the Grand Lodge of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainman.
The next family to move in that we know of was that of:
Richard Henry and Edith Ellen Dagger – Richard Henry and Edith are shown in the electoral registers from 1927 onwards. Richard was also listed as living here in the 1926 Rate Book. Richard Henry, known by the name of Henry, had been a gardener at Thornbury Castle and Edith had been a cook there.
Before moving to St John Street, they had been living in Castle Lodge.
Henry was born in Murhill near Bradford upon Avon on 15th November 1885. He was the son of Henry Dagger, a stonemason and his wife, Amelia. The family lived at Murhill in the censuses up to 1911. They show Richard Henry was known by the name of Henry from an early date and he became a gardener.
Henry married Edith Ellen Phillips in Welton near Bath on 8th April 1912. It is interesting to note that although Edith was born on 28th September 1882 in the 1911 she was working as a cook in Thornbury Castle. Henry and Edith are shown as living in Castle Lodge in 1915 when they were guardians to a boy who started at St Mary’s School.
Henry was attested into the Army Reserve in November 1915 and on 6th June 1916 he joined the 1st Worcester Regiment. His service record shows he was 5 ft 2 1/2 inches and living at Castle Lodge, Thornbury when he joined. In November 1916 he was posted to Mesopotamia and the records show he went on to serve in India. He was still serving in January 1929 when he applied for extra leave. In his letter he had been serving for 3 years and 3 months without any leave. The application was rejected.
Henry and Edith had one son, Philip Henry born on 16th July 1924 when the family was living at Castle East Lodge. Philip started at St Mary’s School in 1927 before moving to the Grammar School in 1934.
The 1946 electoral register shows that Amelia Dagger was also living in the house. We assume Amelia to be Henry’s mother. She died in Thornbury Hospital on 17th December 1947 aged 98. Henry and Edith continued to live at number 19 St John Street for a long time, at least until the 1970’s. For some time they shared the house with son, Philip. His wife, Hilda Mary and their son, Alan John who were living there in 1951 when Alan was born. Shortly after this Philip and Hilda moved to 50 Gloucester Road and later spent some time living in the Court House at 2 St John Street. The photo on the right above is taken from a newspaper and shows them celebrating their golden wedding anniversary in 1962.
After the Daggers, we know only that the house was occupied by the Gilletts in 1988 and bought by Brian and Janette Cason who later bought number 21 and combined the two houses.