4 St John Street in Thornbury was occupied by:
Jeremiah Price – the 1832 Land Tax records and 1840 Tithe Survey show Jeremiah was living in this property owned by Thomas Osborne Wetmore. Earlier Land Tax records from 1821 onwards show Jeremiah lived in a house owned by John Powell. The deeds show that Jeremiah was a plasterer and tiler.
Jeremiah appears to have been baptised in Berkeley on 10th April 1785. His father was William Price, a pauper living at Ham. We don’t know when Jeremiah married Mary, but they had several children: Priscilla and Philip, both baptised in Thornbury on 15th January 1815, Philimore baptised on 14th March 1819 and Percival baptised on 29th July 1821. Philip died aged 8 and was buried on 10th November 1823.
In 1840 Jeremiah Price was one of the signatories of a document that led to the setting up of an Independent Chapel in Crossways. The other people named in the document were all leading members of the Independent Chapel in Thornbury, although the four children named above were baptised in St Mary’s Church, which is an Anglican Church.
The 1841 Census shows Jeremiah was a plasterer aged 58 living in St John Street with Mary aged 63, Philimore a plasterer aged 20 and Eliza Saniger a shopkeeper aged 27. We do not know what happened to the family after this time.
Harriett Prewett – we know from various deeds that Harriett was living in the house and this is confirmed by the 1851 Census. Harriett was the daughter in law of Hester Prewett who had owned the house since 1848. Click here to read more
Aaron Tidman – when the house was put up for sale by auction in 1859 it was occupied by Aaron Tidman. At some time during the 1850s the Tidmans moved to Thornbury from Wotton Under Edge. We suspect that they had moved by 1856 as there is the death of unnamed baby daughter ‘Tidman’ in Thornbury in 1856 and the birth and death of a son, Jonathan Gibbs Tidman in 1859. We know from the sale of 4 St John Street in 1859 that Aaron was living in that property in 1859. He must have moved from that property at the time of the sale as the 1859 Rate Book lists him as owning and occupying a property at 3 High Street Click here to read more
George Thomas – in the 1859, 1867 and 1876 the Rate Books show that the building was tenanted by George Thomas.
George was an innkeeper in Morton when his daughter Ann was baptised on 15th February 1832. He was charged and fined on two occasions in 1833 and 1834 for selling cider on a Sunday and serving after hours on the second occasion. The inn was known as The White Bear.
The 1841 census shows George Thomas was a baker at Rudgeway. He had married Hannah Bendall on 13th March 1831. They had three children, Edwin aged 6, Ann aged 4 and Jane aged 1.
The 1851 Census shows the family was living near the bottom of St Mary Street. At that time George was trading as a grocer. He was 44 born in Berkeley and married to Hannah who was 42 and born in Elberton. They were living with their children: Edwin aged 18 born in Almondsbury, Ann aged 13, Jane aged 10 and John aged 8, all born in Alveston, and a visitor, John Bendall an unmarried agricultural labourer aged 46 from Elberton.
The 1861 Census shows George was living in 4 St John Street. George was described as a master baker aged 54 born in Stone and living with his wife, Hannah, aged 52 who was born in Elberton. They had three children living them: Ann aged 23, Jane a dressmaker aged 20 and John a painter aged 18, all three were born in Olveston.Hannah died aged 55 and was buried on 20 September 1863. George re-married in June quarter 1864 – his wife was Susannah Whitfield.
The Census of 1871 shows that George Thomas was a baker and grocer who occupied the premises with his wife Susanne. George was aged 63 and his wife was 60 and was born in Thornbury. In the Trade Directory of 1877 he was a baker. George died aged 72 and was buried on 5th May 1879. Susannah died aged 69 and was buried on 31 March 1882.
John Thomas – the 1880 Rate Book shows that the house was occupied by John Thomas, the son of the George Thomas who had lived here previously (see above). The 1881 Census shows that John was a painter, now aged 38 born in Oldbury on Severn, and he was living with his wife, Mary A, a shopkeeper aged 33 and their children: Frederick J, a baker aged 14 from Alveston, Hubert J aged 9 and Kate J aged 5, both born in Oldbury and Edwin aged 2 born in Thornbury.
By 1891 the family were living in Oldbury. John was a house decorator, aged 48 born in Rudgeway, Mary A was aged 43 from Oldbury, Frederick G was a painter aged 24, Hubert J a tailor aged 19, Kate was a teacher in N School (presumably National School), Edwin aged 12 and John A aged 8.
John died in 1897 and the 1901 Census shows Mary Ann and her son, Arthur, living at Camp House with her married daughter, Kate Knapp, and her husband Hector.
John’s son, Edwin Thomas, was admitted to Thornbury Grammar School in 1890. The 1901 census shows Edwin living in Walton Street, Oxford. He was described as a widowed outfitter’s assistant. We can’t trace Edwin in the 1911 census, but we assume he may have emigrated to Australia. Edwin was serving as a Private in the 2nd Australian Pioneers when he was killed near Fleur in France on 14th November 1916. He was listed on the Warlencourt British Cemetery Memorial. By the time of his death, his mother was living at Salmon Lodge, Oldbury. Edwin’s service record shows he had been a planter living at Woombye in Queensland. He had moved to Australia at the age of 24 (i.e about 1903). It notes that he had been made an honorary member of The Order of St George.
Between 1889 and the 1970s the bakery was owned and occupied by the same families. When the bakery was closed it was let to various small businesses including Cotswold Storage Systems, an electrical business operated by Blanchard and White (which later moved to the corner of The Plain and Gloucester Road) and a travel agency called ‘Blue World Travel’. Blue World Travel was run by Mrs E Kyle-Price in 1973.