The Parish Church of St Mary in Thornbury, South Gloucestershire is located next to Thornbury Castle. A Norman Church was said to have stood on the site from as early as 1106. The present chancel was built around 1340. Click here to see the Church’s own website
Whilst we have not yet attempted to write anything about the history of the Church, we have lists of early parish records, information about the memorial inscriptions, both inside and outside the Church, the Vicarage and the various ministers:
EARLY PARISH RECORDS
Lists of baptisms, marriages and burials from 1550 to 1699. Click here to read more
In 2006 we were given various type-written lists of monumental inscriptions taken at St Mary’s Church in Thornbury which had been used for many years to help those interested in local history and genealogy to research their roots. These included:
- the ‘Ralph Bigland’ collection of 17th and 18th century inscriptions of monuments within the Church and tombstones in the Churchyard.
- a list of monumental inscriptions recorded by S.F. & G.R. Pitts of Thornbury and added to by George Mills, also a Thornbury resident. The list includes 19th and 20th century inscriptions, the names on the two War Memorials within the Church, and the list of Vicars.
- a book of transcriptions of the memorials in the Church created when major building was undertaken in the 1840s. This was found in Gloucester Record Office.
We were impressed by the hard work of these people and knew that many visitors to Thornbury had made use of the lists. This is our attempt to make their work more widely available. We have tried to rationalise these lists, checking for accuracy where possible. We have separate lists for the inscriptions on the memorials and tombstones inside the Church and those on tombstones in the Churchyard. Click on the links shown on the left sidebar.
- The stone cross shown on the left which is dedicated to those who died in the First World War. There are no names on this memorial.
- A board in the Church Porch listing those that died in the First World War.
- A wooden memorial inside the Church listing those who died in 1914-1919 and in 1939-1945.
Click on the links on the sidebar to read the information shown on the last two memorials
There also separate pages, with photos, of the bell ringers’s boards which are hung in the Church and the charitable bequests boards which was hung on a wall in the Choir Vestry at the western end of the Church.
VICARS and THE VICARAGE
We have three separate pages with details of the Vicars. One is a simple list of the incumbents copied from the board hung in the western end of the Church. This board covers the incumbents of the church since 1571 to the modern day. Click here to see this list.
Please note that there is a second list of the vicars which is also hanging in the church. This is a framed decorative list which begins with the very earliest vicars. This appears on our page about the Early Vicars of Thornbury. This page covers the vicars up to 1899 and includes brief notes on each one of them. Click here to read about these vicars
The third page provides similar information about the Vicars since 1899. Click here to read about these vicars
The present Vicarage is a new building constructed and dedicated in 1997. The previous vicarage was sold and become a private house. Click here to read more about that property
Anyone researching their family history may find it useful to check out our web pages about other Churches and Chapels in Thornbury and the Thornbury Cemetery.