The above photo shows the property when it was occupied by Gilbert Symes. Gilbert and his son, Maurice, are the two blacksmiths shown outside their ironmonger’s shop. The property was used as a blacksmiths and ironmongers by the Knapps, Saverys and then two generations of the Symes family for over 100 years. Click on the link to the occupants below to read more about these families and the other occupants of the property.
We have not seen any deeds for this property and our earliest source of information is the 1840 Tithe Survey, which shows that the property was then Plot 255 – a house and garden owned by Isaac Roberts and occupied by William Cross.
Isaac Roberts – we don’t know a great deal about Isaac except that the 1840 Tithe Survey shows he also owned the property next door at 9 The Plain and a row of six old cottages in the Gloucester Road. Click here to read more
The rate books provide the only other source of information about the ownership of the property:
George Watts – the 1859 rate book shows that George was the owner of the property. He also owned the adjoining property at 9 The Plain, and the six old cottages in Gloucester Road. George didn’t live in any of these properties and we don’t know any more about him. The most likely George Watts was the grocer or butcher born in Wickwar in 1795 and he was living in Cromhall in the 1841 and 1851 censuses.
Thomas Ann and the Wilmots – we know that the property was owned by Thomas Ann in 1862, the trustees of Thomas Ann in 1867 and Thomas’s daughter, Mary Ann Ann in 1876. Click here to read about the Ann family
The rate books for 1880 and 1885 show Mary Ann continued to own it under her married name, Mary Ann Wilmot. From 1887 to 1910, the rate books say that Mary Ann’s husband, Samuel Mullett Wilmot was the owner. Even up to 1925 the owners were shown as being ‘The Representatives of S. M Wilmott’. Read about Mary Ann and Samuel Wilmot
The Symes family – the 1926 rate book shows that the property had been acquired by Eliza Symes. She had been living there with her late husband, Gilbert Symes as a tenant since 1899. The family carried on trading there until about 1952 when they sold the property and business to R. A. Lister & Co. Click here to read about this Symes family