We have no photograph of the house. We would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge of the house or photographs relating to it or its occupants.
We are grateful to South Gloucestershire Council for letting us see the deeds that they hold for this house. This has given us access to information about the close of ground on which the plot was built. It was called the Paddock and we have been able to trace how this close of land was divided up and sold to become building plots. Click here to see a plan of the Paddock and details of owners and occupants
The information given to us by South Gloucestershire has also enabled us to trace the owners of the land from the early 1700’s. Click here to read the early history
We have summarised the ownership of the house on this page. Click on the link at the bottom of the page to read about the OCCUPANTS.
Matthew Mills – the deeds in the packet for 10 Upper Bath Road begin with a lease and release dated 5th and 6th of July 1821 between Matthew Mills a mason and William Slain a carpenter. By these documents for the sum of £46 William Slain bought a garden ground that had been part of a close called the Paddock which had since been planted over with fruit trees and called the orchard which measured two acres. Click here to read more
William Slain – bought the property, then described as an orchard in July 1821. By 19th October 1827 William Slain sold to John Lippiatt for £160 the same piece of land together with a messuage or dwellinghouse erected by William Slain and which was now or late in his occupation. Click here to read more
John Lippiatt – a cordwainer who had bought the property in October 1827 sold it on 7th January 1830 to Thomas Dorney. It was then described as the land and the house now in the occupation of John Lippiatt. We were initially unable to identify this John Lippiatt. We are grateful however to Robin Pencavel with sharing with us some records of the Independent Chapel (now known as the United Reformed Chapel). The records refer to John Lippiatt and we think it highly likely that this is the same person connected to 10 Upper Bath Road. The chapel records show that on 15th December 1827 John was listed as a creditor of the chapel for the sum of £100. It is assumed that this was made to help fund the new chapel which was opened in 1826. John’s contribution was a sizable proportion of the £918 of the outstanding debt owed by the Chapel in 1827. The amount of John’s credit was reduced over the next few years and in 1833 it was still showing as £53.
We found that there were two baptisms of children to John Lippiatt and his wife, Rosamond, in the early records of the URC. ‘Hanah’ was born in February 1810 and baptised in Thornbury on 10th February 1811 and Harriet was born on 15th August 1812 and baptised in Thornbury on 7th November 1812. The IGI shows another baptism record relating to John and Rosamond, that of Sarah baptised on 28th May 1802. This baptism took place in Eastington and Alkerton, Gloucestershire. It is interesting to note that the Thomas Dorney to whom John sold the house in Upper Bath Road in 1830 was also connected to Eastington and the independent church movement and thus might suggest a connection between the two families.
Sadly the chapel’s records show things didn’t go well for John. He sent a letter to the Revd Dove of the Independent Chapel, Thornbury showing he had moved to Easton in Bristol. We do not know the year in which the letter was sent, but based on the fact that the Revd Dove moved away from Thornbury in 1843 and we cannot trace John in the 1841 we are guessing he may have died between 1833 and 1841. There is a possible burial of ‘John Lippet’ on 5th January 1834 at St George, Bristol. Click on the thumbnail image on the right to read John’s letter to Revd Dove in which he explains his business has struggled for the previous two years and he is asking for financial assistance.
The Dorneys – Thomas Dorney of Eastington gentleman, bought the property in January 1830. On 28th 1839 “now in the occupation of Richard Greenwood” it was bought for £120 by Joseph Dorney of Sundays Hill yeoman from Thomas Dorney. The 1841 census shows Thomas Dorney as a a dissenting minister aged 45 living with Sarah Dorney of independent means with two servants in Falfield.
At the time of the 1840 Tithe Survey the house and garden was referred to as Plot 114 which was owned by John Dorney and occupied by Richard Greenwood. We think John Dorney may be a transcription error. The property seems to have been acquired by Joseph Dorney who on 23rd April 1822 married Edith Hooper. Joseph Dorney late of Sundays Hill made a will dated 23rd November 1839 leaving all his property to his wife Edith for her life time. In the 1841 census Joseph was a farmer in Sundays Hill area aged about 60, living with Edith also aged about 60. He died on 6th July 1842. The 1851 census shows Edith lodging with a farmer, Joseph Weeks and his wife Elizabeth, also in Sundays Hill. Edith Dorney died 1852. On 18th March 1853 Thomas Dorney of South Dean in Newnham Gloucestershire sold this property for £80 to Jesse Cossham.
Jesse Cossham and Esther Saise – Jesse Cossham bought this house in 1853. The ratebBooks of 1859, 1876, 1880 and 1885 show that the owner of the property was then Jesse Cossham. In his will dated 10th March 1886, Jesse described as a gentleman of Thornbury devised the property to Esther Saise. It was then described as a “freehold messuage garden and premises” late in the occupancy of William Underhill. Jesse died on 20th May 1887. Esther was born on 19th May 1838 and she died on 22nd December 1914. In her Will dated 11th July 1906, Esther devised her real estate to her trustees, William Davis Canning and William John Allen, to sell. William Davis Canning died before Esther Saise so it was left for William John Allen to sell the property. Click here to read more about Jesse Cossham and Esther Saise
The sale took place at an auction on 22nd March 1916. At the time of the auction in March 1916, the property was described as ‘A freehold cottage containing two front rooms and kitchen and two bedrooms with large and productive garden and outbuildings comprising large stone-built shed or stable and pigsty situate at Upper Bath Road, Thornbury and let to Mr. Thomas Boulton at a rent of £8 10s 0d per annum. Landlord pays rates.’
Thomas Exell – Thomas was described as a provision merchant when he bought this property on 2nd May 1916 for £125. The indenture arising from that sale refers to the property as ‘All that messuage or dwellinghouse with the outbuildings garden and …. situate in Upper Bath Road in the town of Thornbury in the County of Gloucester now in the occupation of Thomas Boulton bounded on the north by property of the representatives of Mary Martin deceased on the east by Upper Bath Road on the south and west by property of Mrs Shepherd. Click here to read more
Following Thomas’s death in 1930 his property descended to his two daughters, Lillian Mary and Bertha Annie. Lilian Mary Exell married Reginald David Edwards a brewer’s surveyor on 4th April 1931 at Holy Trinity Church Walcot in Bath. On 17th March 1947, Lilian died aged 61. The house (10 Upper Bath Road) was put up for auction as part of the estate of Mrs L. M. Edwards whose main property appears to have been Stock Farm, Littleton. At that time, this property was described as “A well-built detached cottage with garden known as ‘Raglan Castle’ Upper Bath Road, Thornbury let to Mr H. Wilson at an inclusive rental of 10s 6d per week. The Cottage is stone built, rough-cast over with tile roof, the accommodation comprising sitting room with cupboards, Pantry with ditto, Back Kitchen with sink, range and boiler; two bedrooms over. All main services. Good walled-in garden with W.C. and useful shed.” On 29th September 1947 Lilian’s executor, her sister, Bertha Annie Winter of Blanford, Dorset, sold the house to John Lester Edwards, a civil engineering assistant of Cutts Heath, Warmley for £250.
On 26th November 1958 John sold the property to Thornbury Rural District Council for £208 10s. John’s address at the time was 24 Goldney Avenue, Warmley. The house was demolished about 1960.