We have no photographs of this house and we don’t know when it was built. We would love to hear from anyone with any knowledge of the house.
We are grateful to South Gloucestershire Council for letting us see the deeds that they hold for this house and for number 12 Upper Bath Road both of which were owned by the same families for much of their known history. This has given us access to information about the close of ground on which the plot was built. It was called the Paddock and we have been able to trace how this close of land was divided up and sold to become building plots. Click here to see a plan of the Paddock and details of owners and occupants
The information given to us by South Gloucestershire has also enabled us to trace the owners of the land from the early 1700’s. Click here to read the early history
William Clark – we believe that William Clark bought this property by a lease and release of 24th and 25th March 1820 from Luke Trayhurn, although we do not have the details of the indenture neither do we know whether there were two cottages here at that time. This would have been William Clark the younger. Please click here to read more about William Clark
David Greenman – at the time of the 1840 Tithe Survey the house was part of Plot 112 which consisted of two houses and gardens (now 12 and 14 Upper Bath Road) owned by David Greenman and occupied by himself and Job Greenhill. We believe that David Greenman may have lived in this house, that later became 14 Upper Bath Road. We have learned from the Ancestry website that David Greenman was baptised in Box in Wiltshire on 23rd September 1798. He was the son of David Greenman and Sarah nee Perks. He married Mary Ball in Tytherington on 10th April 1821.
David and Mary Greenman were the parents of Samuel Greenman who was baptised on 5th May 1822 (who died aged 5 and was buried on 14th December 1828) and Ann Greenman who was baptised on 26th March 1826. At the time of both of those baptisms David was said to be a labourer. By 5th December 1830 when Mark Greenman was baptised David had become a carrier. A second daughter Jane was baptised on 1st March 1833. Jane must have died as baby because another daughter called Jane was baptised 19th March 1837. When Jane was baptised on 19th March 1834 David was described as “hallier.” The Trade Directory of 1839 confirms that David Greenman now advertised as a carrier.
The 1841 census shows that David aged about 40 was working as a carrier and living with Mary who was the same age. Their eldest son William was a shoemaker’s apprentice. The other, children Ann aged 15, David aged 14, Mark aged 10 and Jane aged 4 were still at home. A Trade Directory of 1841 describes the carrier service as going to Bristol on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It says there are two carriers “Baylis” and “Greenland”. We are aware of the Baylis family who ran a carrier service in Thornbury and conveyed people and packages in various horse drawn vehicles. However we have no knowledge of Greenland and think this must be an error and that Greenman is the actual name. The Pigots Directory of 1842 says that W Baylis and “Thomas Greenman” run a service from their homes. We cannot explain why the name was “Thomas.”
Samuel Ball Greenman, who appears to be the youngest child of David and Mary Greenman, was baptised 12th November 1843. On December 7th 1850 the Bristol Mercury had an announcement of the death of David Greenman aged 22 on November 26th and that announcement said that David was the son of David Greenman the carrier for Thornbury. The 1851 census shows that David was then aged 51 and that Mary his wife was aged 53 and born in Tytherington. Their son Mark aged 20 was a general carrier like his father. Jane aged 14 and Samuel aged 7 were still at home. On July 20th 1852, according to the Bristol Mercury, Mark the son of David Greenman the carrier married Harriet the fourth daughter of Samuel Hughes also of Thornbury. David died aged 53 years and was buried on 27th March 1853. On 13th October 1855, David and Mary’s daughter, Jane, married William Rugman, the son of James Rugman, a labourer. We don’t know where Mary was in the 1861 census, but she died aged 66 and was buried on 8th October 1862.
The Hodges – following David Greenman’s death in 1853, this property and number 12 were transferred to his wife, Mary. Mary Greenman sold the whole property on 28th March 1857 to John Hodges a builder who lived in Gloucester Road. By 1865 and some time after 1840 a house had been built next to number 14 on the same land. This new house (which later became 16 Upper Bath Road) was sold to John Williams, the son in law of John Hodges on 15th August 1865. On 15th November 1873 John Hodges sold number 14 Upper Bath Road to his son George Hodges. George Hodges had already acquired 12 Upper Bath Road in 1865. John Hodges died on the 8th June 1877 aged 91. Numbers 12 and 14 Upper Bath Road then continued to be owned by George Hodges until his death in 1905 when they continued to be owned by trustees of his estate.
On 11th March 1959 John Hodges and Gladys Balls as trustees of George Hodges’ estate sold two houses, numbers 12 and 14 Upper Bath Road to Thornbury District Council as part of the redevelopment plan for £250.
In the 1841 and 1851 censuses we believe the house may have been occupied by David Greenman, the owner (see above).
Francis Stinchcombe – the 1876 rate book and the 1881 census shows the house occupied by a widower Francis Stinchcombe a hurdlemaker aged 66 from Hillesley. In the 1891 census he was still living there, with his grand-daughter, Laura Stinchcombe a general servant aged 18. Laura was the daughter of Francis’s son, Alfred, and his wife, Sarah. According to the IGI, Francis Stinchcombe married Hannah Pope in Hawkesbury on 29th November 1838. The 1861 census shows that they had moved to Thornbury and were living at 14 Rock Street and sharing the property there with George Blake and Mark Williams. Francis was a hurdle maker aged 45 living with Hannah aged 45 from Hinton and their children: Alfred, an agricultural labourer aged 17 born in Alveston and Mary Ann aged 14, Laura aged 10 and Ann aged 8, all born in Thornbury.
The 1871 census shows Francis and Hannah were still living at 14 Rock Street, now with just their daughter, Anne aged 17 at home. The census notes that Hannah was deaf. She died aged 67 years and was buried on 11th May 1880. The 1894 rate book shows that Francis was still living in 14 Upper Bath Road. He died aged 79 and was buried on 16th March 1897.
Charles Reeves – the 1901 census shows the house occupied by Charles Reeves, a stone quarryman aged 33 and his wife, Frances A aged 28 from Alveston, and their children: John aged 11, Elizabeth Ella aged 7, Alfred Henry aged 6 and Winifred Kate aged 3. Charles had married Frances Ann Walker in June quarter 1890. The 1891 census shows that Charles, an agricultural labourer aged 24 and Frances aged 19 were living in Buckover with their son John aged 1.
The records of the National School show that two of their children transferred there from Buckover when the family moved to Crossways in June 1896. The baptism records of their children show that they were living in Hackett Lane in 1896 and Easton Hill in 1897, and then in Upper Bath Road from 1898. The family appear to have had a problem in February 1901 as two of their children died and were buried in Thornbury Cemetery on the same day, 25th February. This was Ellen Maud aged 3 and Harold Charles aged 5 months. We don’t know whether they died from illness or if an accident happened in the house. It appears that Charles and Frances had at least one more child, Reginald Charles born in 1905.
William and Christiana Young – the 1910 rate book shows the house was occupied by William Young. The 1911 census shows that William was a chimney sweep aged 51 and born in Charfield. He was living there with his wife, Christiana, aged 61 and born in ‘Cooks Folly’, Durham Down, Bristol. William and Christiana Channings had married in Thornbury St Marys Church on 10th September 1904. Christina had been born in Bristol in 1849, the daughter of Thomas Hall, a blacksmith. In the 1851 census the family were living in Ham near Berkeley. In 1879 she had married John Channings in the Portsea area. The 1881 census shows Christiana was a general servant in service in Portsmouth. We don’t know what happened to John, nor where Christiana was living up to 1901.
The South Gloucestershire Chronicle dated 2nd February 1901 includes an advert for the chemist James Spencer Palmer. This mentions that Christiana had been living at the Thornbury Union Infirmary for some time. The advert claims that she had become ‘quite bald on top of her head’ and had sought Spencer Palmer’s help. Although he feared that there was little hope of anything being wholly successful he suggested she try his hair wash. Miraculously within three months her hair had grown again. Click on the thumbnail on the right to see the two photos of Christiana taken before and after she used his hair wash. These photos were published in an almanac produced by Spencer Palmer in 1909.
William’s first wife, Emma, died in 1902 and William re-married, this time to Christina Channings. We assume that William is the William Young shown in the 1905 and 1907 rate books as living in 7 Upper Bath Road.
William was listed in Prewett’s 1914 directory as being the Town Crier. He died aged 56 and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 8th June 1915. He was described as a chimney sweep in the burial record. Christiana died aged 64 and was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 2nd March 1915.
The Gazette of March 6th 1915 has a sad story about Christiana which explains how she died. It reported that Christiana was walking along the middle of the Gloucester Road when Charles Symes was travelling quite briskly along the road. Charles had just overtaken a wagon carrying mangolds when he reached Christiana walking near Pitcher’s workshop where the road was said to be “only 18 feet wide”. Sadly her skirt was caught in the trap’s offside wheel and she was turned round and flung on her back on the road, knocked unconscious by the fall.
Doctor Lionel Williams was summoned and took Christiana in his car to the Union Workhouse Infirmary, which was only a little way down the road. On examining her there, he found she had a fractured skull, which led to her death. The coroner, Mr Edwin Watts, held an inquest at the Union Infirmary and determined that the cause of death was a fractured skull from an accidental fall. Click here to read about William’s earlier life with Emma
Clara Webb – the 1925 valuation list and 1926 rate book show the house was occupied by Clara Webb. Clara was the widow of William Thomas Webb. She died in 1927 aged 63. She was buried in Thornbury Cemetery on 23rd August 1927. Click here to read more
The Davis’s – from the 1930’s onwards, we have been told that the house was occupied by a family of Davis’s. We were told that there were three sisters and a brother living there at various times.
The register compiled in 1939 in preparation for the war lists Ellen Davis born on 20th January 1897 and Cecil Jack Davis a groom born on 2nd February 1923. Both of them were shown as being unmarried.
We have found the names of Ellen Davis listed in the electoral registers from 1931 through to 1958. In the registers from 1946 onwards she is joined by her brother, Reginald John Davis who had previously been listed as living in St Mary Street. Another sister, Dolly, has also been mentioned as living there.
Ellen, Reginald and Dolly were the children of Joseph and Mary Davis (nee Ryan) who were married on 19th October 1889. The 1891 census shows Joseph as a tinsmith from Lechlade in Wiltshire living in St Mary Street with Mary who was from Birmingham. Their marriage record shows both their fathers were hawkers and the various baptism records of Joseph and Mary’s children describe Joseph as a hawker, tinker, labourer and even knife grinder at various times. The 1901 census shows that Joseph had become a razor grinder and that he and Mary had had several children: Mary Ann aged 10, Joseph aged 7, Ellen aged 4, Harriett aged 2 and Elizabeth aged 1. They also had other children, not living with them in the 1901 census or born afterwards. Dorothy, known as ‘Dolly’ was born on 6th November 1899 (according to the Council School records) and Reginald was born in 1906. When Dorothy started at the Council School in 1906, her father was shown as Joseph Davis of Mary Street. When Reginald started there in 1912 his parent was shown as Mrs J. Davis of Mary Street. His father, Joseph died that year aged 43.
On 11th March 1959 John Hodges and Gladys Balls as trustees of George Hodges’ estate sold the two houses, numbers 12 and 14 Upper Bath Road to Thornbury District Council as part of the redevelopment plan for £250. The house was demolished as part of the redevelopment scheme in Thornbury.
The Davis’s were re-housed by the Council in Bath Road. The 1965 electoral register shows Ellen and Reginald living in ’14 Bath Road’.
We have been told that they moved to the bungalow in the Pithay, and the electoral registers show that ‘Pithay Lodge’ was occupied by Cecil Jack and Elsie Davis in 1965. The Council Infants School records show that Cecil Jack Davis was born on 2nd February 1923, and that when he started at the school in 1926 he was the son of ‘Miss Davis of St Marys Street, Market Street’. We believe that his mother was Ellen Davis and that she moved shortly after 1926 from her mother’s home in St Mary Street to Market Street (which is another name for Upper Bath Road).
Cecil was known locally as ‘Podger’. He worked for Sir Algar Howard’s Castle Estate for many years. In 1943 Cecil married Kathleen E. M. Bovington known as ‘Elsie’. They lived in a flat above The Stables, Thornbury Castle and in one of the two lodges there. Sir Algar moved away from the Castle in 1960’s following the death of his wife. In 1963 he provided for Cecil and Elsie by building Pithay Lodge for them to live in and in his will written in 1969 he left Cecil £25.