The property that is now 26 Castle Street in Thornbury has a very long history. We have been told by a recent owner of the house that this is obviously a very old property with particularly thick walls. This photograph was probably taken about 1910 and shows 26 Castle Street as a small terraced house in the centre of the photograph with a man standing outside its front door.
The house shares much of its early history with number 24 Castle Street, the double fronted property next door to it to the right of it (in this photograph number 24 has a flag on its porch). From the time of the Tithe Survey in 1840 until 1954 the two properties were owned by the same people.
We have been able to find documents in Gloucestershire Archives that trace the some of the long history of this property and of its neighbours.
The earliest document that we have found so far relating to this property was dated 13th February 1671. This shows that the house was being sold by a yeoman called John Besar to a widow, Joan Cooke, who was the daughter and one of the heirs of Mary Tayer and a granddaughter of John Tayer a yeoman. At that time the property had a garden and an orchard. It was said to consist of;
‘ three quarters of a burgage and the 12th part of a burgage situate lying and being within the borough of Thornbury aforesaid (stands?) between the house of one Margery Ayler on the north side thereof and the close called Wigmores late the land of one William Barton deceased of the South part.’
This is reflected in the Rent Roll of 1671 which shows Joan Cooke & John Beazor paying 10d for ¾ and 1/12 burgage. It also places it as a property lying between Margery Ayler who is paying 6d for a property further down the street that we believe to be number 28A Castle Street and Richard Smith who is paying 2/- for a property of two burgages which is described as ‘late Bartons’. The last named property was Wigmore House – now 10 Castle Street . This is interesting as it means that Joan Cooke and John Beazor (sometimes Bezar or Besar) were living on what is now THREE distinct properties, namely 24, 26 and 28 Castle Street. We know that 24 Castle Street was created either by dividing 26 or by building an adjoining property. It seems however that all four properties had a common history.
In 1685 an indenture relating to the sale of the neighbouring property refers to this property as owned ‘by Richard Cooke wherein one Temperance Cooke now inhabiteth.’
We know that the property was not lived in by Richard Cooke but that it was rented to a tenant Richard Morgan as it was described as;
‘All that message or tenement with the appurtenances situate lying and being in the borough of Thornbury aforesaid where in Richard Morgan now inhabiteth adjoining to our message or tenement now in the tenure of Robert Thurston his tenants or his assigns and commonly called Wigmore House and upon the southward parts thereof to a message late of one Philip Mansell and now of one Joseph Cannings on or near the northward part thereof to the street there called the High Street on or near the westward part thereof ‘
John Mabbett
An indenture shows that on 12th May 1688 the property was sold by Richard Cooke a cordwainer whose widowed mother Joan Cooke had died and that he was selling it to John Mabbett.
It seems possible that John Mabbett was the twin brother of Thomas Mabbett and that the boys were sons of William Mabbett and his wife Elinor who lived in Thornbury. The records of the Quaker meeting at Olveston say that the twins were born on 29th February 1663.
When John Mabbett married Susannah Andrews on November 13th 1689 at the Quaker chapel in Thornbury, he was already a baker in the town. The witnesses to their marriage included Thomas and Elizabeth Mabbett and members of the Canning and Thurston families.
John and Susannah Mabbett had three children who were all recorded in the register of the Quaker meetings in Thornbury. These were John on the 25th October 1688, Joseph on 23rd January 1689 and Mary on 3rd May 1692.
One of our most reliable sources of information about the property owned by John Mabbett at this time in Thornbury is the Tithe Terrier of 1696 which refers to
“1696 tithe terrier 36. Item one of the grounds belonging to Thomas Stafford gent called Wiggs moores by estimacon about two acres and a halfe bounded North by John Mabbutts (sic) garden and orchard East by Mr Staffords Mundays Lands South by his aforesaid Close and his garden and West by the Highstreete of the Burrough.”
We believe that Susannah Mabbett must have died before 1697 as we have a record of the marriage of John Mabbett of Thornbury baker and Sarah Packer in Thornbury on 10th January 1698. John and Sarah had a daughter Elinor born on 7th March 1699.
Sarah Mabbett was buried in the Quaker burial ground at Hazel on 3rd September 1702. John Mabbett died only a few weeks later and was buried also at Hazel on 21st September 1702. He was a baker and a Quaker. Their last child, Elinor, was baptised after the death of both her parents. There is a record that Elinor Mabbett was baptised in Coaley on 22nd October 1703 when she was described as the daughter of John Mabbett of Thornbury deceased.
John Mabbett did not leave a will as such but there is an inventory of his possessions and a record of the obligation of Joseph Canning who was “uncle, guardian, tutor and administrator” to the children of John Mabbett who were named as “John, Joseph, Mary and Elianor”
The inventory does not say where John Mabbett’s home was but does list his possessions and indirectly describe his property. It refers to the shop with its shelves and scales and the kitchen with its table board and chairs, cooking utensils and flitch of bacon. There was also a hall with a tableboard and ‘forms’ and smaller tables. There was a bakehouse with a ‘ meal chest’, ‘trough’ and ‘dresser board’, scales and weights. At the back of the house there was a ‘cole house’ with wood and coal. There was also a buttery with a hogshead of cider and three barrels. There appear to have been two bedrooms as there are references to an outer chamber with a bedstead and four beds and an inner chamber with one bedstead. There are also references to saddlery, a bullock and various types of grain and some hay.
The Overseers Accounts by at least 1706 and up to 1714 show that the property was owned by ‘the widow Mabbett.’ We cannot explain who the widow is.
John Mabbett junior
Although John’s father didn’t leave a will it seems that his eldest son, John jnr, inherited this property. An indenture in Gloucestershire Archives shows that on 25th March 1712 John Mabbett borrowed £40 from Richard Wilkins senior. A further document of 30th September 1713 refers to the fact that John Mabbett defaulted on his repayment and so Richard Wilkins acquired:
“All that messuage or tenement with the appurtenances situate lying and being in the borough of Thornbury aforesaid and now in the possession of the said John Mabbett party to these presents and adjoining to a messuage or tenement now in the possession of or occupation of John Jones and late of William Cole commonly called Wigmore’s House on or near the southward part thereof and to a messuage formerly of one Phillip Mansell and now of Anna Cannings widow and relict of Joseph Cannings on or near the northward part thereof onto a street there called the High Street on or near the westward part thereof. ”
We know from the will of Joseph Cannings dated 1711 that John Mabbett was living in Joseph’s house at 28 Castle Street. We don’t know what happened to John after that.
Richard Wilkins
It appears that Richard Wilkins was the owner of the property for some time but that he never lived in it. The Overseers Accounts for 1716 to 1724 show John Cooke lived there. The Overseers Accounts for 1725 show that ‘Widow Cooke’ was now liable for Mabbetts. By 1726 until at least 1731 the same records show that the occupant was ‘Mary Cooke’. By 1733 the Overseers accounts show that Joseph Cooke was paying tax for Mabbetts. Joseph Cooke’s name continues to appear in these records until at least 1750.
In 1751 the Poor Law Assessment shows that Richard Wilkins was liable to pay seven and a half pence for his property. The Assessment for the Relief of the Poor for 1769 might be an indication that the Wilkins property has been sold off in three parts as it shows “John Johnson or tenant for late Wilkins – five and a half pence, John Putley for part – one halfpence and Charles Kingston for Mabbetts – one and half pence.” We believe that John Putley was associated with what became 22 Castle Street and John Johnson with 10 Castle Street and so we are assuming at this point that the houses that became 24 and 26 Castle Street were called Mabbetts.
Richard Wilkins junior. We believe that the property that is now 26 Castle Street was referred to in the indenture of 1754 between Richard Wilkins junior and John Harwood of Grovesend who was a yeoman. Read more about Richard Wilkins
The indenture included a large amount of property in what is now Castle Street and appears to be a mortgage. At that time this property was said to be: “ALL THAT MESSUAGE or tenement with the appurtenances, situate lying and being in the Borough of Thornbury aforesaid, wherein Charles Kingston some time since inhabited as Tenant to Richard Wilkins senior late Father of the said Richard Wilkins party hereto but now lying Void“.
Richard Wilkins junior appears to have defaulted on the payment of £100 and John and Sarah Harwood lent him a further £200. Various members of the Harwood family were mentioned in subsequent indentures. However continued default meant that Richard Wilkins eventually lost the property, although he appeared to retain ownership of the house until at least 1768.
Charles Kingston. Charles Kingston then became the owner of this property. The Poor Assessment of 1769 show that Charles was liable to pay tax for a property described as late Mabbetts.
It is interesting that Charles Kingston was a baker. When the house next door was advertised for sale many years later in 1852 it was said to have a bakehouse. As we believe that Charles Kingston lived on what later became the two separate properties it is tempting to speculate that the bake house was a survival of his time in the property but obviously we have no evidence whatsoever for that.
The parish records indicate that Charles Kingston was buried in Thornbury on 21st June 1772 aged about 62 years. The Land Tax Records from at least 1775 show that Anne Kingston (described initially as “the widow Kingston”) was liable to pay four shillings tax for the property next to Hannah Putley and so we assume that Anne remained in the property.
The widowed Anne Kingston lived in the property until her death. She was buried on 6th December 1786. Her will left this property in trust to the solicitor George Rolph for him to sell. We have not yet found any records in Thornbury Parish Church relating to any other births, deaths or marriages of members of the Kingston family.
Henry Mills. By an indenture of the 5th April 1787 George Rolph sold the property to Henry Mills for £63, at which time Henry Mills, a mason, was already living there but that before that Ann Kingston had lived there for many years up until the time of her death. A further indenture of 31st December 1787 between Henry Mills and Prudence Warren of Rockhampton was in effect a mortgage.
Henry married Mary Witchell on 24th April 1775 at Berkeley. Mary lived in Berkeley at the time of her marriage. Henry and Mary had a daughter, Jane, baptised in Thornbury on 28th April 1777. Jane Mills was described as the daughter of “Harry” and Mary Mills.
Henry Mills was still described as a mason in the record of the death of his wife Mary who was buried on 24th August 1778 aged 45.
Henry Mills died in Thornbury aged about 45 and was buried on 5th October 1791. There was an inquest on his death and the coroner found that he “died by the visitation of God.”
It is about this time that the adjoining property now known as number 24 Castle Street was probably built. The owner and occupant of this adjoining house in the 1796 and 1797 land tax records was shown as James Mills. At this point we do not know the relationship between Henry and James Mills. Henry was probably baptised on 24th August 1744, the son of John Mills. James Mills was born in 1720 and was the son of William Mills. James lived to be 81 years old and was buried in Thornbury on 24th April 1799.
We know from the will of Henry’s sister, Mary, in 1800, that she appointed as her executor ‘my niece Jane Mills the daughter of my late brother Harry, otherwise Henry Mills deceased’.
James Allen. The will of James Allen of 1817 says that he bought this property from Henry Mills. Obviously this would be some time before 1791.
James Allen a farmer married Mary Wherrett on 9th May 1771. Their first son James was born on 22nd October 1771 and baptised on 5th January 1772.
The will of James Allen written in 1817 left the property at Castle Street to his wife Mary for her lifetime and then to his daughter Sarah Leonard the wife of John Leonard (see below).
The property that became 26 Castle Street was then described as: “ all that messuage or dwelling house wherein Charles Kingston formerly inhabited and my eldest son James Allen deceased lately dwelt and Thomas Evans, baker since dwelt and Thomas Lane doth now dwell with the outhouse outlet garden and appurtenances thereto belonging situate in the said Borough of Thornbury in the said County and which I purchased of Henry Mills”
James Allen of Morton, a yeoman died on 4th March 1817 aged 76. The Land Tax Records for 1822 show that Mary Allen now owned this property in Castle Street and the tenant was said to be “late Thomas Ryall”. Mary was listed in the later Land Tax records up to 1832 (the last year we have seen) as owning this property which she continued to let out to tenants. Mary Allen died 4th March 1835 aged 91. Click here to read more about James Allen and his family
The 1840 Tithe Map and accompanying Tithe Apportionment show that number 26 had the plot numbers 275 and 276. This property and the house next door (plot number 274) were both owned by John Leonard. This house had a large garden at the back which was attached to the house by a narrow strip of land.
John and Sarah Leonard. The 1840 Tithe Map shows that John Leonard owned both the two properties, which were given the plot numbers 274, 275 and 276. These are the houses that later became known as 24 and 26 Castle Street. At least one of the properties, 26 Castle Street had been bequeathed to John’s wife Sarah by her father James Allen in his will of 1817. We do not know how or when he acquired 24 Castle Street.
John Leonard was baptised in Rockhampton on 27th October 1779 and was the son of John and Mary Leonard.
John Leonard of Hill married Sarah Allen on 15th April 1802. We have traced the baptisms of two of their children Charles Thomas on 22nd September 1805 and Samuel on 1st October 1815.
John Leonard died 17th July 1841 aged 62 years. Sarah Leonard appears to have gone to live with her son Samuel. She was living with him and his wife in the 1851 Census in Monmouthshire. Her death was registered in Monmouthshire in 1858.
Henry Withers. By 1862 Henry Withers junior had acquired both properties. The census of 1861 shows that he was living at number 24. He continued to own both houses in the 1867 Rate Book. Read more about Henry Withers
Francis and Jane Driscoll. The occupiers of number 26 Castle Street in the 1871 Census were Francis and Jane Driscoll, who may well have owned both properties by this time. Certainly by 1876 the Rate Book shows that Francis Driscoll owned both houses. Francis was from Kilrush in County Clare and had joined the army, the Fifth Fusiliers.
We believe that Francis married Jane “Trayherne” in Athlone in 1866. She may have been baptised Jane “Trayhurn” on 13th August 1820 in Thornbury and the daughter of Thomas Trayhurn the tailor and his wife Ann.
Jane and Francis Driscoll seemed to be in financial difficulties. An Abstract of Title of 1881 refers to an indenture of 1879 which secured the repayment of a loan of £100 from Francis Gayner to Jane Driscoll. There was a further indenture to secure a loan of £120. The property appears to have belonged to Jane, possibly inherited from her family. Jane Driscoll made her will on 24th November 1880 leaving her property to Francis Sturge of Bristol “in trust to pay the rents and incomes to her husband, Francis Driscoll, during his life and from after his decease in trust for Mary Thatcher. Mary was the daughter of John and Hester Thatcher but we are not sure of the connection between Mary and Jane. The 1881 Census shows that Mary Thatcher lived in St John Street.
Jane Driscoll died 13th February 1881. The records of St Mary’s Church in Thornbury show that she was buried on February the 19th and her age at that time was 62.
In 1881 when the two houses were advertised for sale, they were described as : “the larger messuage being for many years in the occupation of the late Mr William Hurd, deceased, but now void; and the other now in the occupation of Mr Francis Driscoll; together with the gardens and outbuildings……….The gardens are most productive and there is a well of good water.”
Francis Driscoll and Mary Thatcher then agreed to sell the house to Francis Gayner for £305 from which the agreed sums of £100 and £120 plus interest (amounting to £255 12s 6d) which were owed to Francis Gayner would be deducted.
The Census of 1881 shows that number 24 was unoccupied and that the widowed Francis Driscoll was living on his own in the house next door which became number 26. He was described as a 49 year old pensioner and gardener from County Clare. The records of St Mary’s Church show that on 27th May 1882 the widower Francis Driscoll married the widowed Elizabeth Harris. Francis Driscoll was “late private 5th fusiliers” the son of James Driscoll a labourer and his bride was the daughter of William Rose a labourer. The couple went to live in 7 St John Street. Click here to read more about them
Francis Gayner. Francis bought the two properties for £305 on 9th November 1881. The Rate Book of 1885 shows that 24 and 26 Castle Street in Thornbury were owned by Francis Gayner. Francis was a draper. He was the son of Henry Penduck Gayner and his wife Sarah and was born 16th February 1851. Click here to read more about Francis Gayner.
Francis Gayner continued to own 24 & 26 Castle Street until his death on October 23rd 1923. After the death of their mother, Lucy Gayner, on February 5th 1955, the Gayner sons Ronald Court Gayner and Sidney Harriss Gayner put the houses up for sale. Sidney was a shopkeeper in the High Street and Ronald Gayner was a bank manager. Ronald was baptised on 22nd June 1892. He enlisted in the First World War and served in France where he eventually became a staff sergeant.
Dennis and Annie Matthews. Ronald Gayner and his brother Sidney sold 26 Castle Street in October 1954 to Dennis and Annie Matthews for £900. The Mathews had already been living there for some time – we believe from 1946.
Dennis Joseph Matthews was born in the registration district of Chipping Sodbury in 1903. The 1911 Census shows that he was the son of Joseph Matthews and his wife Amy. The family lived in Wickwar at that time. In the December quarter of 1925 Dennis married Annie Tucker.
At the time he bought 26 Castle Street his address was Gate Farm in Itchington.
A later owner of the house says that Annie Matthews was a nurse at Thornbury Hospital. Dennis Matthews was a farmer but he gave up because of a heart condition. The Electoral Roll shows that there was another person living in the house, James Doyle. We have been told that he was a lodger known as Jimmie who worked in several local pubs.
Dennis died in Thornbury in 1964.
Dennis and Annie had a daughter Margaret Vera known as Vera born in 1931. Vera died in May 2008.
We have been told that there was still no bathroom in the house when the Matthews family moved into the house in 1946 and they had an annexe with a corrugated iron roof built on to the house to form a bathroom.
Mr and Mrs Black bought the neighbouring house, number 24 in 1986. They also bought 26 Castle Street, which they later sold to the Roman Catholic Church.
The Building
Previous owners of number 26 were also surprised to find a well or cistern on the property which may have supplied both this and number 24 with water. The find was reported in the Gazette of 19th February 1999. It appears that the then owners Mr and Mrs Black were having a kitchen extension built for the house at the back of the property when the builders found that there was a large well or cistern that had been built over when the earlier owners built an extension for their bathroom. The cistern was at least 12 feet deep and lined with bricks and with an arched roof.
A notice of sale dated 1852 says that the neighbouring number 24 had a passage which was also a right of way for both houses. The right of way may have been associated with access to this water supply or the plot of land behind the houses. The boundaries between the properties appear to have changed at different times in their history.
In 1954 when it was advertised for sale it had a sitting room on the ground floor with a kitchen behind with an oven grate. There was a scullery at the rear of the house with a sink, boiler and pump ‘to soft water supply.’ The soft water would of course have have been from the cistern, although the sale notice says that ‘all mains services have been connected.’ There was also an outside W.C. and a coal house. The house had three bedrooms.

